The Student Room Group

Struggling to sleep next to my girlfriend...

Scroll to see replies

Life is rarely like the movies!
My partner and I (live together, getting married etc) give each other a goodnight kiss, then promptly go to our respective sides of the bed. We still frequently wake each other up (in fact, Im replying now because hes snoring!) And sometimes have terribly disturbed nights.

My parents, still very much in love, always start the night out together but rarely end it in the same bed!! My mom reckons the best thing about my brother and I moving out is that she could finally get a good night's sleep as she could go into our rooms!

Sharing a single bed is hateful at the best of times.

Not much advice here. Just know youre not alone (although you might wish you were hahah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
Separate duvets are excellent. I used to find it weird but I don't think I'd be able to go back to double duvets now. They're very useful for regulating your own temperature (and making sure the other person's farts stay away from you as much as possible).

It's a Scandinavian thing, isn't it? I remember having them when we went on holiday to Norway. We have ours as a legacy from husband's poor student days - it's one of those sets with a thicker one and thinner one, (which you can put together to make a super-thick one), and when he did finally get a double duvet set neither of us liked it or were able to stay the right temperature.
I share my bed with my 2 cats and my bf and all 3 of them snore every night without fail. I've lost many sleepless nights thanks to that. I've spoken to my bf about it and moan at him every hour or so to lie on his side rather than his back. You have to tell your gf that she snores and its affecting your quality of sleep.

There's things she can try such as sleeping on her side, trying out those nose strip things. You could also wear earplugs or put on a fan. Having white noise like a fan in the background can help.

If you still feel like you would rather sleep on your own then you should definitely tell her. You both deserve a good nights sleep. Waking up knackered and grouchy doesn't help anyone. She might not be pleased at the fact you want to sleep on a separate mattress but she might understand if you explain things to her.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Helenia
It's a Scandinavian thing, isn't it? I remember having them when we went on holiday to Norway. We have ours as a legacy from husband's poor student days - it's one of those sets with a thicker one and thinner one, (which you can put together to make a super-thick one), and when he did finally get a double duvet set neither of us liked it or were able to stay the right temperature.

Yes indeed! I seem to recall him failing to plan ahead when I first visited - he didn't have a splittable duvet, so I got the duvet and he got an empty duvet cover the first night. :teehee:
My hubby snores when he's lying on his back or side, so I always tell him to lie on his front. Maybe see if your gf can settle down on her front, it might help.

As for the cuddling thing, I'm with you on that. I like a cuddle before I get comfy, but as soon as the goodnights are said, that's it, we move away from each other so there's a gap between us. I need my sleeping space!
One of the joys of being single is that I have my own space in bed. Even with a double, I find sharing uncomfortable. It's ridiculously hot and just a pain in the arse.

Sorry no advice here, but I would suggest at least trying to get a double bed.
you'll probably get used to it (although it will be harder in a single bed)

just be honest with her, sometimes my boyfriend says he's tired and will sleep better alone and sleeps in another room, it doesn't bother me and never has
The thing that scares me most about marriage is the thought of having to share your bed with another human for the rest of your life.
I always found it hard sleeping with my boyfriend, as he would snore and it used to wake me up regularly trying to shake him from it which I know is bad but it really was keeping me awake. I would of tried ear plugs to the snore preventative strips to put on the bridge of the nose (we might of tried them once).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending