The Student Room Group

Constantly have a blocked nose, post nasal drip and sneezing

It is far much worse at night time! I struggle sleep at night because I cannot breathe as my nose is so congested. I have to keep putting Vicks on or using breathe right nasal strips but it doesn't help in the long run. I have cleaned my bedroom and house from top to bottom, I have opened windows, turned off the heating, taken hayfever tablets for a week but nothing is working. I have been sleeping at friends house but it is still the same problem - constantly. In the morning it is dreadful. I am constantly sneezing, no matter what. Everyone must be getting fed up of it! I am having to keep blowing my nose because I keep dripping out of it (sorry, TMI). I have tried everything to try and eliminate or reduce it but it is starting to affect my sleep and my life. The only time I ever feel better is if I go out and get air but obviously I cannot keep doing that. What else can I do? Does it sound like something like chronic sinusitis? I have been to the doctors but they just recommended Vicks and nasal sprays :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Butterfly92xo
It is far much worse at night time! I struggle sleep at night because I cannot breathe as my nose is so congested. I have to keep putting Vicks on or using breathe right nasal strips but it doesn't help in the long run. I have cleaned my bedroom and house from top to bottom, I have opened windows, turned off the heating, taken hayfever tablets for a week but nothing is working. I have been sleeping at friends house but it is still the same problem - constantly. In the morning it is dreadful. I am constantly sneezing, no matter what. Everyone must be getting fed up of it! I am having to keep blowing my nose because I keep dripping out of it (sorry, TMI). I have tried everything to try and eliminate or reduce it but it is starting to affect my sleep and my life. The only time I ever feel better is if I go out and get air but obviously I cannot keep doing that. What else can I do? Does it sound like something like chronic sinusitis? I have been to the doctors but they just recommended Vicks and nasal sprays :/

I have this, it started exactly the same and I found out I had nasal polyps as a result of non allergic rhinitis (no specific trigger allergy tests were negative). Fluticasone nasal drops got rid of them and i use nasonex (nasal spray) daily to keep things at bay.

Look up nasal polyps and rhinitis. Go back to your gp as you shouldnt be suffering like this when you can get drops and sprays to make you feel normal again!
I read a news article once about a man with the same problem, the doctor then told him that after a year of this his brain was leaking, please go see a doctor

ARTICLE:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10041067/Man-with-runny-nose-had-leaking-brain.html
Original post by Butterfly92xo

This is interesting! A few years back I had exactly the same symptoms you had for about 2 years and I was honestly so fed up. Then I was about to go to uni and I knew this couldn't continue anymore. Doctors, just like you couldn't conclude what the cause was and just like the above poster they suggested I could have nasal polyps. I doubted that very much tbh.

After a bunch of online research, the literature suggested that there is a strong correlation between nasal inflammation, production of mucus and dairy products. I cut out all dairy whilst I was at uni! No cows milk, no cheese and no products containing dairy. Within a week all problems went away. Sleep was absolutely superb, stopped inhaling nasal sprays before bed and didn't have to worry about carrying it with me too if I was at a sleepover. That being said I still have chocolate lol, but I haven't consumed cow's milk with cereal since 2012 and only have cheese when I buy pizza!

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest