The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oaisy
Hi everyone, just a question for those who have interviewed at MMU.. how long did you have to wait before finding out whether or not you'd been successful? I only had my interview last week so I know it won't be quite yet, but I'm so nervous waiting! MMU is my first choice so I'm extra anxious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,
I had an interview on the 3rd December and I got an offer on the 6th January - however I know some people still haven't heard. Hopefully it won't be long now as there can't be that many more interviews to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1341
Thanks, I suppose that's not too long considering the Christmas holidays etc. Congratulations on your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oaisy
Thanks, I suppose that's not too long considering the Christmas holidays etc. Congratulations on your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an interview on 3rd too and still haven't heard. They said my application is on hold and they will update track when the tutor has made a decision. I think some people will have received replies by the end of this week tbh. Good luck!
Original post by Higlet
Hello,
I had an interview on the 3rd December and I got an offer on the 6th January - however I know some people still haven't heard. Hopefully it won't be long now as there can't be that many more interviews to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what university you are going to choose yet?
Original post by nesca89
Do you know what university you are going to choose yet?

I want to wait till I've heard back from Leeds to make a definite decision!! Between BCU and Man Met I'm a bit stuck - I love all the extra facilities they have at BCU (I didn't actually get to see much of man met have anything) but I really liked the atmosphere at Manchester met over BCU! I think if I don't get Leeds I'd put man met first and then BCU as they're after lower grades! It's such a hard decision though - I never expected to have a choice!!
Have you decided where you're going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oaisy

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true! Fingers crossed for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I want to wait till I've heard back from Leeds to make a definite decision!! Between BCU and Man Met I'm a bit stuck - I love all the extra facilities they have at BCU (I didn't actually get to see much of man met have anything) but I really liked the atmosphere at Manchester met over BCU! I think if I don't get Leeds I'd put man met first and then BCU as they're after lower grades! It's such a hard decision though - I never expected to have a choice!!
Have you decided where you're going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see what you mean. I don't want to move so I would like an offer for any Manchester one, It would be a miracle though haha. We will see what happens... Have you already had your Leeds interview?
Original post by nesca89
Ah I see what you mean. I don't want to move so I would like an offer for any Manchester one, It would be a miracle though haha. We will see what happens... Have you already had your Leeds interview?

Ahh yeah! I remember reading that now!! Which would you prefer Manchester or man met? Do you know anything about the facilities at Manchester met?
No I haven't heard anything from Leeds yet - I applied 20th October & I know people who applied after me have already had interview offers, so I recon I'm either a 'maybe' or they're just waiting to reject me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Ahh yeah! I remember reading that now!! Which would you prefer Manchester or man met? Do you know anything about the facilities at Manchester met?
No I haven't heard anything from Leeds yet - I applied 20th October & I know people who applied after me have already had interview offers, so I recon I'm either a 'maybe' or they're just waiting to reject me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I prefer man met just because it seems more modern and up to date. But then I like the support they have for students at Manchester. I really am not fussy as long as I get into one of them to be honest. Ah well Leeds seem to be taking their time fingers crossed you hear very soon!
Original post by nesca89
I think I prefer man met just because it seems more modern and up to date. But then I like the support they have for students at Manchester. I really am not fussy as long as I get into one of them to be honest. Ah well Leeds seem to be taking their time fingers crossed you hear very soon!

Yeah! Well I'm sure you will!! What are the grades for Manchester AAB or ABB?
Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Yeah! Well I'm sure you will!! What are the grades for Manchester AAB or ABB?
Fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure tbh, I only look at the Access diploma as I already have it. The grades to get in to Manchester are actually lower than man met! I need 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit. Whereas man met is 36 credits at distinction!

Just checked a levels for Manchester, AAB!
Original post by nesca89
I'm not sure tbh, I only look at the Access diploma as I already have it. The grades to get in to Manchester are actually lower than man met! I need 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit. Whereas man met is 36 credits at distinction!

Just checked a levels for Manchester, AAB!

Ahhh I see!! Well good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really hoping to hear back from Leeds shortly! Xo

Good luck to anyone at DMU today! If anyone could let me know how the interview day works there I'd appreciate it! I'm hoping they give a departmental tour or something...
Reply 1353
Original post by Savyannah
I'm doing Sociology, Health and Social Care and Geography. Just got another email from UEA today straight out rejecting me so I think I need to look into it but a student from Leeds said the subjects and the grades I got would be fine so I dunno :s-smilie:

Hmm, it's a tricky one! Because some unis will accept your sociology, but others look for either biology, psychology or English language.. It may be worth emailing the unis and seeing. If not, reading do a language sciences and psychology degree whereby afterwards you can go on to do an nhs funded postgraduate in SLT. That route only takes 1 year longer than their standard SLT course.
Original post by Savyannah
I'm doing Sociology, Health and Social Care and Geography. Just got another email from UEA today straight out rejecting me so I think I need to look into it but a student from Leeds said the subjects and the grades I got would be fine so I dunno :s-smilie:

If I don't get an offer this year, im going to study a psychology degree. As mentioned above it would only take an extra year. Depending on what university you want to study post grad at... You can do either a psychology degree or a linguistics :smile: only thing is, the undergraduate degree won't be paid for by the NHS. But if this doesn't matter to you then it's good to have a back up :smile:
For those who have applied for SLT at BCU; I have just received an email back saying that basically because they have had so many applications, we will hear within the next 3 weeks.
Original post by jredwards21
For those who have applied for SLT at BCU; I have just received an email back saying that basically because they have had so many applications, we will hear within the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for the update. Did they email you in response to an email you had sent? Was your interview the 1st or the 8th? The waiting is so hard....
Original post by shropshirelass51
Thanks for the update. Did they email you in response to an email you had sent? Was your interview the 1st or the 8th? The waiting is so hard....

No problem :smile: Yes I sent an email on the 7th January and they responded today. The response actually said "you will hear in 3 weeks" not "you will hear within 3 weeks." At least I can stop checking my emails every two minutes for now! I had my interview on the 1st December. Have you had an interview yet? Yeah the waiting is horrible! Good luck!
Original post by nesca89
If I don't get an offer this year, im going to study a psychology degree. As mentioned above it would only take an extra year. Depending on what university you want to study post grad at... You can do either a psychology degree or a linguistics :smile: only thing is, the undergraduate degree won't be paid for by the NHS. But if this doesn't matter to you then it's good to have a back up :smile:

You have misread what they said. Postgraduate courses are two years. They meant there is only one year difference between that and a three year undergraduate course.

The NHS will fund whatever course you do irrespective of your previous qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evantej
You have misread what they said. Postgraduate courses are two years. They meant there is only one year difference between that and a three year undergraduate course.

The NHS will fund whatever course you do irrespective of your previous qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I meant was the undergraduate speech therapy course at Manchester is 4 years. So if I done a psychology degree for 3 years and then a post grad speech therapy for 2 years it only works out as an extra year. And I also meant the 3 year degree in psychology or linguistics isn't NHs funded :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest