The Student Room Group

unemployed after 6 months after graduation, feel completly lost

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rustyappletree
They will check references, (i ve worked for charity and they always did) saves them forking out for a crb check, because this could be needed as you would be around customers/vulnerable people, a charity would not want to take the risk. That's the thing tho, you might not have a family friend or contact to your tutor, or they might not bother to write it in any case. i m not saying it is impossible, but it is a lot harder in general, for people who are not confident and don't have a network and contacts to back them up.

How did you get charity work then ? :P
Original post by stubear
graduated 6 months ago and currently unemployed, I appreciate it is 100% my fault as I haven't given job hunting its real attention, I start a week with a real desire to apply but then after a few hours reading through loads of graduate schemes I just get terrified an bury my head back into the sand for a few weeks, I just feel very unconfident I'm capable of doing the jobs the schemes want .

Some backround on me, I graduated with a 2:1 in physics, however I suffer from Aspergus and have a severe lack of confidence in myself, especially when it comes to working as I've never even had a temporary shop job. I look at all these excellent graduate schemes out there and then just seen phrases like "We are looking for strong driven candidates with excellent communication skills" and others like it that don't apply to me and just feel there's no point even applying to them

Any advice? Parents suggest I go to the job centre for advice

Generally jobs in the public and charity sector are much more accomodating of disabilities like yours, especially if you are having trouble with confidence a private sector grad scheme will likely be too high pressure and could set you back further, so I would focus your efforts there.

The National Autistic society are a great charity that provide great advice and support for people on the autistic spectrum so you could get in touch with them and speak to someone.
Original post by elmosandy
How did you get charity work then ? :P

well i'm 27! so I got a job fairly easy way back in 2005. so i got contacts from there on really. :smile:
Original post by elmosandy
How do people even get experience before/during/after there Degree..

Isn't doing like a Sandwich/Year in Industry like experience?

Experience doesn't have to be related.

Throughout my degree I worked for a well known fashion chain, started out as just a Saturday job but by my final year I was working 30 hours per week and was the department Supervisor. That plus my degree gave me plenty to talk about. For example being able to say that I helped run a market leading department during a busy period of the year, whilst writing my dissertation and other essays, is absolute gold for interviews.

You can get transferable skills from anywhere as well. I even put TSR on my CV for certain roles :colondollar:
Original post by sr90
Experience doesn't have to be related.

Throughout my degree I worked for a well known fashion chain, started out as just a Saturday job but by my final year I was working 30 hours per week and was the department Supervisor. That plus my degree gave me plenty to talk about. For example being able to say that I helped run a market leading department during a busy period of the year, whilst writing my dissertation and other essays, is absolute gold for interviews.

You can get transferable skills from anywhere as well. I even put TSR on my CV for certain roles :colondollar:

Wow that's good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending