The Student Room Group

How long did you wait before saying 'I love you'?

I was having this conversation with my housemate last night, about how long it takes in a relationship to tell your partner that you love them. :colondollar:
I waited 8 months in my last relationship before uttering the big 'L' word, but my friend said it within a month! I guess she is a bit more 'heart on sleeve' than me, but I wanted some other opinions. :beard:
What do you guys think, are there any guidelines for this sorta thing? :heart:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I said it within a month. However, we'd both liked each other for ages before we were actually in a relationship, so it didn't seen 'too soon'. If you've known the person beforehand, then I don't think you need to wait as long to say it. However, if you met through a dating website, in a bar etc. then I think you should get to know the person a bit better before saying it. These are just my guidelines, and I do think there are many exceptions to it.
8 months is a long time to wait I think, by most people's standards!
I said it after 3 months and I'm still waiting for her to say it back...
A few months at least. If someone said it after one month it would probably feel cheaply earned.
Reply 5
Yes, there's an equation for it actually:

Distance between you and them (km) x (your age + their age) + (The male's shoe size^2 - (the female's waist size x 2))
How long you've known them (days)

^^ Remember to convert your answer to days, you'll get it in weeks!

Note: All calculations should be made from the day the two participants start dating.

:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SA-1

Distance between you and then (km) x (your age + their age) + (The male's shoe size^2 - (the female's waist size x 2))

But what if they have their birthday the day after the calculation:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by llamaspoon

You're probably right, I think I have had the fear of the 'l' word distilled in me from a young age... freaks me out!
I do agree it's more about how long you've known the person. You can feel like you love someone even if you're not with them also, it's all probably quite subjective.

Original post by Anonymous
I said it after 3 months and I'm still waiting for her to say it back...

Wait it out! I'm sure you'll get the response you want :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by SA-1

Distance between you and then (km) x (your age + their age) + (The male's shoe size^2 - (the female's waist size x 2))

Genuinely going to try and work this out now with every single one of my friends.... :cool:
Does it mean as much nowadays? Seems like lots of people say it for the sake of it and/or are just more infatuated than 'love'.

Original post by llamaspoon
I said it within a month. However, we'd both liked each other for ages before we were actually in a relationship, so it didn't seen 'too soon'. If you've known the person beforehand, then I don't think you need to wait as long to say it. However, if you met through a dating website, in a bar etc. then I think you should get to know the person a bit better before saying it. These are just my guidelines, and I do think there are many exceptions to it.

Not in the slightest... plenty of people wait over a year. On the hand, none of my friends have said it was early as a month.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Aph
But what if they have their birthday the day after the calculation:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

See edit :cool:
Reply 11
Original post by SA-1
See edit :cool:

Ok, so what do you do with how long you've known them exactly? Irs not obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Aph
Ok, so what do you do with how long you've known them exactly? Irs not obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile

The format doesn't allow you to see it on your phone. You need to divide it by the (distance between you and them + (your + their age))
Me and my bf were best friends before going out so in a way it made it less awkward to say just exactly how much we mean to each other. Once we were an official couple, I think we waited about a month or so before saying it regularly. We admitted we loved each other when we first started going out and agreed we should be a couple. If we didn't really know each other before dating, I can imagine we wouldn't have said it so soon as it would have took longer to get to know each other and determine if what you are feeling is really love for the person.
Just over a month. But then in some much longer relationships I've never said it.

It's one of those things with if you know, you know.
Hahaha love this thread! It's funny when two people who think very differently about this get together... I am SO cautious about saying it but my long term bf's have been cracking it out from 3/4 weeks in!

Another big question is... do people wait for someone to say it to them first?
Never said it.
Never. :moon:
Reply 18
Original post by Queen Cersei
Another big question is... do people wait for someone to say it to them first?

I will always wait for them to say it first... mainly because i'm an absolute coward and i don't feel like it's worth the agony it they don't say it back!! :afraid:
But i am envious of people that are brave enough to just say it! I think it takes so much guts! :shakehand:
Original post by Condog10
I will always wait for them to say it first... mainly because i'm an absolute coward and i don't feel like it's worth the agony it they don't say it back!! :afraid:
But i am envious of people that are brave enough to just say it! I think it takes so much guts! :shakehand:

I'm with you there... never said it first!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending