The Student Room Group

Is it possible from E to A?

I just got an E and i am super depressing about that . Should i work hard for my A2 instead of retake my AS again? If i work up for my A2 will i still get an A ?
I worked really hard at A1 but my result just brutal for me and i guess i was working hard in the wrong way .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PiersChoo
I just got an E and i am super depressing about that . Should i work hard for my A2 instead of retake my AS again? If i work up for my A2 will i still get an A ?
I worked really hard at A1 but my result just brutal for me and i guess i was working hard in the wrong way .

no it is not possible to make AS E to A, But you might make A while repeating both AS and A level
Reply 2
Original post by cheemaboyz6
no it is not possible to make AS E to A, But you might make A while repeating both AS and A level

How about B?
How about B?

Highly unlikely unless you got absolutely full marks. It depends on the subject and your UMS. If you can tell us what the UMS score is for AS, then it's possible to work out what marks are required for certain grades. An A is entirely impossible though.
Reply 4
Original post by Paralove
Highly unlikely unless you got absolutely full marks. It depends on the subject and your UMS. If you can tell us what the UMS score is for AS, then it's possible to work out what marks are required for certain grades. An A is entirely impossible though.

The subject is Chemistry and i get 48%.
Reply 5
Original post by Paralove

I worked really hard for my AS level as well but i don't know why i got this bloody awful result . I studied everyday and asked teacher whatever i don't understand but i still get this awful result . Can you please tell me what should i do so i can get better result ?
Reply 6

Retake AS youll do much better second time round, also focus on A2 do not neglect it!

I myself was on an E at AS and achieved A* at the end, it is possible. I probably achieved an E because i did no work, then i realized i needed to put in effort.
Reply 7
Original post by rik108
Retake AS youll do much better second time round, also focus on A2 do not neglect it!

I myself was on an E at AS and achieved A* at the end, it is possible. I probably achieved an E because i did no work, then i realized i needed to put in effort.

All my friends told me that i must have resit for that . This is the ways they counted for me
48/2 = 24
And they said it is hard for me to get a ' B ' only if i can get full marks ( 50+24 = 74)
Were they wrong ?? Or this is the exactly ways we count for AS's result?
I worked really hard for my AS level as well but i don't know why i got this bloody awful result . I studied everyday and asked teacher whatever i don't understand but i still get this awful result . Can you please tell me what should i do so i can get better result ?

Maybe Chem just isn't your thing, if you really did work for it.

Okay, so to get a B, you need 70% overall. If you got 48/100, then you need 140/200, thus 96/100 for the absolute minimum mark to get a B.

So you need to get pretty much 100% in your A2 exams.
Just curious, as it's a similar question, but how hard is it to go from a C at AS to an A at A2?
Reply 10
All my friends told me that i must have resit for that . This is the ways they counted for me
48/2 = 24
And they said it is hard for me to get a ' B ' only if i can get full marks ( 50+24 = 74)
Were they wrong ?? Or this is the exactly ways we count for AS's result?

Well As is scored out of 300 total. Unit one is 90, ums unit 2 is 150 and practical is 60. So first time round i was in like 150-200 cant remember. Retook the exams ended up with a ums total of 298/300 dropping. You need to achieve 240/300 for an A at AS-Level, 210 for a B and so on. So to achieve an A overall at A2 you need to get 480/600 overall. So you can calculate yourself what scores you need from A2.
Best bet is to retake get a B/A for AS at least, and focus on A2 at the same time. A2 is the most important as it is the most difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by Grantland
Just curious, as it's a similar question, but how hard is it to go from a C at AS to an A at A2?

people ask this question all the time. You need to put in the effort yourself!
Reply 12
Original post by Grantland

I guess it is pretty hard as well , its like you could only lose 4 marks at A2 so i think i will retake everything.
My grades are like CCE- 68-68-48
(edited 9 years ago)
If I get a B As, lets say average UMS for grade B, what would i need to get an A for A2?
Well I got an E last year in my AS Economics Mock and and A in my actual AS Exam (Though admittedly I am repeating 1 module but that is because I want to have 90%+ in my AS)
I received a E in an AS Biology unit before (and I revised for it quite a lot, which was depressing). After feeling down, I worked my confidence back up and resat it last summer after revising again - this time much more effectively by using different techniques, and far more past paper practice. I got a high A (not full UMS, but still far over the boundary).

Anything is possible with hard work :smile:

(Don't count on getting an A, or high A, in your A2 - better to resit AS modules to pull your grade up).

I would STRONGLY recommend you repeat the AS. Like you, I was in the same situation where I got E in Chemistry and E in Maths at AS level. I decided to continue with my A2 whilst retaking the AS papers in the same year. It backfired really. I had to learn twice the amount of stuff in a year in essence. So I did really well in the AS and messed up the A2 exams.

Maybe change the way you're learning. For example, study for short periods(20-30 min at a time) and then allow yourself a 5-10 min break. For science subjects, the key is to do a lot of exams practice questions. Look at the mark schemes to know what key points you need to write out for specific questions and also when you study summarise the info and learn the key words and know what they mean in and out.

If you repeat and do all that I am sure you'll be hitting the A grade overall at the end of A2.

To get a B you need 92% in A2 then. Of course that's not easy, so if you're serious about getting a B/A, you need to resit AS. Keep assessing your performance by doing past papers, so you know what sort of mark you are likely to get.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LordBanter
If I get a B As, lets say average UMS for grade B, what would i need to get an A for A2?

An average grade B at AS would be 75%, so to make that an A overall you'd need to get 85% at A2
Original post by Comeback
I received a E in an AS Biology unit before (and I revised for it quite a lot, which was depressing). After feeling down, I worked my confidence back up and resat it last summer after revising again - this time much more effectively by using different techniques, and far more past paper practice. I got a high A (not full UMS, but still far over the boundary).

Anything is possible with hard work :smile:

(Don't count on getting an A, or high A, in your A2 - better to resit AS modules to pull your grade up).

I'm doing AS levels this May/June and I ended up with CCEF for my mocks (Maths, Biology, English lang and Chemistry) and I'm aiming for AAAA hopefully. I'd like to know how you've studied (the techniques you've used) for your A levels.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest