The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Mourinho's comments - while obvious - are absolutely on the money: "We have to win at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool have to win at Stamford Bridge".

They've got exactly what they wanted. It's all square after the first leg, and we'll struggle to make last night's performance mean anything in a week's time to be honest.
When Sturridge comes back, who will get dropped for a regular starting lineup? We have Ibe, Gerrard, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling. Sterling is not getting dropped unless he gets injured and Ibe is not ready to start games, so that leaves two of Lallana, Coutinho and Gerrard having to make way. Bit of a headache for Rodgers as all three have been playing well. There's Markovic too but I'm presuming Rodgers will leave him at wingback, feel like he can offer more in AM tbh but he's doing fine at the wing back role, can offer something going forward and has pace and determination to track back and defend unlike Johnson.

Refreshing to have options in AM now, we can rotate in EL, PL and FA Cup games, last season we only had Moses...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
When Sturridge comes back, who will get dropped for a regular starting lineup? We have Ibe, Gerrard, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling. Sterling is not getting dropped unless he gets injured and Ibe is not ready to start games, so that leaves two of Lallana, Coutinho and Gerrard having to make way. Bit of a headache for Rodgers as all three have been playing well. There's Markovic too but I'm presuming Rodgers will leave him at wingback, feel like he can offer more in AM tbh but he's doing fine at the wing back role, can offer something going forward and has pace and determination to track back and defend unlike Johnson.

Refreshing to have options in AM now, we can rotate in EL, PL and FA Cup games, last season we only had Moses...

Interestingly, Rodgers has been quotes as saying our "style" is working, rather than the system. That hints that we'll use many systems depending on the situation.

Fielding two players behind the main striker means Rodgers can always pair creative talents together: Sterling and Coutinho are the first-choice, obviously, but Gerrard still has a place.

Getting maximum impact from Gerrard will rely on Rodgers not overusing him. He can be explosive and breathe life into a game, rather than sauntering along at a pedestrian pace.
Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game since I was at the theatre but I hear we played really well and we were unlucky to draw. I saw Sterling's goal and it was lovely and wrt to the penalty it was the correct decision since Hazard was quick with the ball and Can was a little clumsy. The second leg will be difficult since it's at the bridge but I feel confident that we can win especially as our form has been improving of late. Will Sturridge get a cameo at Bolton/Chelsea? I'm dying for him to get fit and play already!
Don't think Rodgers is going to risk Sturridge yet, he'll probably be on the bench for the West Ham game which is arguably more important than the FA and League cup games.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Don't think Rodgers is going to risk Sturridge yet, he'll probably be on the bench for the West Ham game which is arguably more important than the FA and League cup games.

Agreed. Can't afford another setback for him - then he'll almost certainly require some sort of operation.
Original post by samir12

Original post by Mackay
Agreed. Can't afford another setback for him - then he'll almost certainly require some sort of operation.

Rodgers said he should be back towards the end of the month so we should see him on the bench for the 2nd leg against Chelsea or against West Ham I think.
Original post by Zerforax
Rodgers said he should be back towards the end of the month so we should see him on the bench for the 2nd leg against Chelsea or against West Ham I think.

We should be able to beat West Ham without him.

Should....
Original post by Lúcio
We should be able to beat West Ham without him.

Should....

West Ham's strengths are our weaknesses though which could be an issue. I don't think we'll see a fit and firing Sturridge for another month after his return.
Talking about dirty Chelsea

[video="youtube;d2OqTd-Xgyg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OqTd-Xgyg[/video]

How did the ref not give a yellow card for that?!?

[video="youtube;d2OqTd-Xgyg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OqTd-Xgyg[/video]

Sterling with a pin outta nowhere! 1, 2, 3!

Because we buy the refs / Mourinho intimidates the officials / Liverpool truly are victimised (delete as appropriate)
The one thing that Markovic needs to improve on his lay-offs. He's so casual about it and gives the ball away too cheaply too regularly for me.
Original post by The Shed End
Because we buy the refs / Mourinho intimidates the officials / Liverpool truly are victimised (delete as appropriate)

Think the ref was just a bit incompetent tbh.

This is why we need video refeering with referrals - Sterling could have referred that and got a free-kick in a promising area and JT would have gotten a yellow card.
And Skrtel could have got a yellow and Costa a free-kick for that elbow.
Ref was terrible in that game, giving yellows for little incidents and not giving anything for obvious ones...
And Skrtel could have got a yellow and Costa a free-kick for that elbow.

Such a reckless thing to do. Could've been sent off since it looked pretty intentional.

Costa hit someone in the face too. Looked intentional on slow-mo but always hard to say what the player meant to do in real time.
Such a reckless thing to do. Could've been sent off since it looked pretty intentional.

Costa hit someone in the face too. Looked intentional on slow-mo but always hard to say what the player meant to do in real time.

He face palmed Can I think, not sure if it was intentional though.

I agree with you in general, think the standard of officiating is almost as bad as it ever has been in the PL, the fact the FA almost always refuse to act on things afterwards doesn't help either.

Like when Costa was booked for this
[video="youtube;DF9CL8-HXcg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF9CL8-HXcg[/video],

I know he has aggresive tendancies but to give a yellow card for that is shocking as it's obviously not intentional.

Thing is though if you were to introduce video refs where do you draw the line? The goal-line system has worked very well, but do you to that kind of thing only for red cards, yellow cards would slow the play down and even then it's all open to interpretation and opinion.

Wouldn't be long before Sky/tv companies introduced some bullshine 'fan decision' kind of thing either.

:rofl: Always the victims. It's never their fault.

Quick Reply

Latest