The Student Room Group

Keep away from drugs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
why are people so desperate to allow drugs to flourish ? the world has gone mad.

+1.

Drugs are illegal for many reasons (and let's hope it stays that way).

It's the same old cry "why shouldn't I be able to take drugs, just because the state says I'm not allowed"

If you need to take drugs, then hop to a country that allows it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Drugs don't kill people, people kill drugs.

.. I think I might have got the quote slightly wrong.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
+1.

Drugs are illegal for many reasons (and let's hope it stays that way).

It's the same old cry "why shouldn't I be able to take drugs, just because the state says I'm not allowed"

If you need to take drugs, then hop to a country that allows it.

Drugs are illegal for many reasons. One of those reasons and one of the most original ones is racism.

There is no country where recreational drugs are legal, Portugal is the only country in the world with full decriminalisation also. You are heavily mistaken if you think you can just "hop to a country that allows it". The United States Government makes commitment to drug criminalisation mandatory in any trade agreement it signs.

The anti-drug lobby has the powerful weapon of state power and violence on its side. The battle against the war on drugs is a battle against oppressive state power.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Drugs are illegal for many reasons. One of those reasons and one of the most original ones is racism.

There is no country where recreational drugs are legal, Portugal is the only country in the world with full decriminalisation also. You are heavily mistaken if you think you can just "hop to a country that allows it". The United States Government makes commitment to drug criminalisation mandatory in any trade agreement it signs.

The anti-drug lobby has the powerful weapon of state power and violence on its side. The battle against the war on drugs is a battle against oppressive state power and the worst government (in terms of imprisonment etc.) in the history of the world.

Then I'm afraid the "make drugs legal" brigade will have to suck it up. :wink:
Then I'm afraid the "make drugs legal" brigade will have to suck it up. :wink:

You are the definition of a "useful idiot".
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
You are the definition of a "useful idiot".

Because I don't comply with your interests? Logical. :smile:
yes, yes it does.

Do you drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? Then congratulations, you are also living a drug fueled lifestyle, by your own definition.
I'm resisting the temptation to say anything. The pro drugs lobby have won.

Original post by Greenlaner
Do you drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? Then congratulations, you are also living a drug fueled lifestyle, by your own definition.

That could very well be the case, but that's hardly a rebuttal...It's ok because he does it too?
Drugs won't be made legal in the UK. There is simply no way you're going to win the majority of votes. And even if you did, The Queen wouldn't give the Royal Assent.

You may as well put your energy into something else.
As nice as they can be they need to be dealt with respect. They can be surprisingly dangerous if they're not.

Drugs won't be made legal in the UK. There is simply no way you're going to win the majority of votes. And even if you did, The Queen wouldn't give the Royal Assent.

You may as well put your energy into something else.

Thank you for that completely baseless comment.

Original post by Phoebe Buffay
That could very well be the case, but that's hardly a rebuttal...It's ok because he does it too?

I could get a hell of a lot of data if need be but alcohol is actually quite a dangerous drug compared to a number of illegal drugs.

The good professor should apologize to poor Chloe.

Does that mean he should also apologise to the thousands of other people who kill themselves with alcohol each year too then? In 2012 there were 8,367 alcohol related deaths and only 31 "ecstasy" related deaths, which is a little vague due to what a lack of regulation of the drug market naturally leads to.
Original post by alexs2602
As nice as they can be they need to be dealt with respect. They can be surprisingly dangerous if they're not.

I could get a hell of a lot of data if need be but alcohol is actually quite a dangerous drug compared to a number of illegal drugs.

Does that mean he should also apologise to the thousands of other people who kill themselves with alcohol each year too then? In 2012 there were 8,367 alcohol related deaths and only 31 "ecstasy" related deaths, which is a little vague due to what a lack of regulation of the drug market naturally leads to.

You actually believe the queen will give Royal Assent?

:biggrin:
Keep away from drugs

Nah, I think I'll have paracetamol thanks.
You actually believe the queen will give Royal Assent?

:biggrin:

Who cares about the Queen?

By the time drugs are legalised, monarchy will be a forgotten relic anyway.

Geniune question...
If ecstasy use was a prevalent as alcohol use then do you still think ecstasy deaths would be lower?

Personally I'm not against people using drugs in their own homes as long as it doesn't affect me negatively. I wouldn't touch them though even if they were legal.
Reply 35
another desperately sad tale of a young person who thought drugs were cool:

http://www.wfla.com/story/26176757/heartbroken-family-warns-of-synthetic-pot-after-teens-death
Original post by Tempest II
Geniune question...
If ecstasy use was a prevalent as alcohol use then do you still think ecstasy deaths would be lower?

Personally I'm not against people using drugs in their own homes as long as it doesn't affect me negatively. I wouldn't touch them though even if they were legal.

Depends on what you mean by prevalent. Let's assume that you mean legal with decent education on how to use it responsibly and regulation(ie: pure, dose on label etc). That would reduce the rate of deaths per users immediately due to ignorance which I suspect a large portion are because of. It would also mean those people who do get in danger through no fault of their own will not be afraid to seel medical help. In its current climate David Nutt said MDMA was less dangerous than horse riding. I think there's very little doubt that with similar prevalence that MDMA would be safer than alcohol. There is one problem though, MDMA acts on serotonin receptors in such a way that within more knowledgeable drug communities it's recommended you use only every 3 months ideally but no more frequently than once a month. Though in recent research subjects were dosed every 2 weeks.

You should read drugs without the hot air by David nutt. Good read by a very well respected researcher. MDMA is an incredibly safe drug. I'd say among the top 4 when it comes to well known illegal drugs.
another desperately sad tale of a young person who thought drugs were cool:

http://www.wfla.com/story/26176757/heartbroken-family-warns-of-synthetic-pot-after-teens-death

If weed was legal, that wouldn't have happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Depends on what you mean by prevalent. Let's assume that you mean legal with decent education on how to use it responsibly and regulation(ie: pure, dose on label etc). That would reduce the rate of deaths per users immediately due to ignorance which I suspect a large portion are because of. It would also mean those people who do get in danger through no fault of their own will not be afraid to seel medical help. In its current climate David Nutt said MDMA was less dangerous than horse riding. I think there's very little doubt that with similar prevalence that MDMA would be safer than alcohol. There is one problem though, MDMA acts on serotonin receptors in such a way that within more knowledgeable drug communities it's recommended you use only every 3 months ideally but no more frequently than once a month. Though in recent research subjects were dosed every 2 weeks.

You should read drugs without the hot air by David nutt. Good read by a very well respected researcher. MDMA is an incredibly safe drug. I'd say among the top 4 when it comes to well known illegal drugs.

hmmm it did not turn out safe for poor Patrick McMullen.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/14/a-tragedy-of-our-times-teen-dies-while-on-skype-after-buying-drugs-from-silk-road-4187879/

Your ignorance and lack of ability to consider evidence objectively leaves me little incentive to even bother trying to address your "arguments". You seem like a troll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending