The Student Room Group

How much harder is AS physics than GCSE?

Also how much harder is it at AS than biology and chemistry?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

AS physics is not for the faint hearted... you've gotta enjoy physics and maths because so far, that's all the first module is (mechanics), unit two is more theory type stuff.

To be honest, all the A-levels are harder at AS compared with GCSE! Teachers, older students etc will tell you that it is a "big jump" and I didnt really believe it, but it really is, in everything.

The same with Bio, and Chem, its much harder at AS, and you begin to realise how much easier GCSE was only once you have completed them... its one of those things that you have to discover for yourself!

I've taken Bio chem phys math and english lit, (im at AS) so i know how the difficulty increases! Make sure you choose what 'you' are interested in, otherwise studying for a subject that you dont like becomes 100 times worse because of the added difficulty!

Hope this helps

Xe
Original post by Don Joiner

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard it's all right but I don't do it myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would totally agree with Xenon - it is a leap, and a good understanding of maths is necessary. The larger workload and tougher questions does come as a shock at the start, but by the end of the year, you'd be completely used to it. I find A level so much better that GCSE, primarily because you're starting to tackle a wider range of essential topics in more detail - you feel like you have a better understanding of the world because of it. It's basically a lot more interesting!

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they're that bad. There's no 'big jump' from GCSE to AS - they ease you in quite well, it's not like they throw you in at the deep end and expect you to understand whole new concepts without being taught them first. I don't know about Biology but personally, that's my stance for Physics and Chemistry. Whilst mechanics took me a while to get used to from the lack of maths in physics at GCSE, it's not too challenging after you get the hang of it :smile:

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

For most subjects, the jump from GCSE to AS is quite big, but for physics it isn't bad. Physics is easier than biology or chemistry at A-level.
Reply 6
I'd have said that the jump from GCSE to AS level isn't that bad for Physics. Of course, that's only if you are very confident with GCSE style stuff- if you struggle with moments or conservation of energy at GCSE, you're not going to like it at As level either.

Really depends how much you like physics. People who want to put in as little effort as possible will inevitably find all jumps to As level rather large.
It's only hard if you make it hard by not putting in the effort.
The first OCR A module is okay, really simple if you do M1 at the same time. The second module is the devil incarnate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
There isn't so much a 'jump' you just focus on a few topics into much depth which therefore can be hard for some to get their head around. A lot of people find the electricity side of physics hard to learn; maybe due to electricity being invisible to the naked eye. Whereas you can see if a ball reaches it's terminal velocity...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is harder, but I don't believe in this "big jump" nonsense. If you're willing to keep working hard and have a decent goal, then it's fine. Of course, if you attain good grades at GCSE and become complacent, you'll soon begin to realise what you need to be doing, or changing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Protoxylic
It's only hard if you make it hard by not putting in the effort.

Exactly. Well said.
Reply 12
Original post by morgan8002
For most subjects, the jump from GCSE to AS is quite big, but for physics it isn't bad. Physics is easier than biology or chemistry at A-level.

I would say that Biology A-Level is far easier than Physics.

Chemistry and Further Maths are definitely the hardest A-Levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends what exam board. OCR B I'm really struggling with and I have an A in a level maths and had an A* at Physics GCSE. Some exam boards are much nicer though and it isn't too bad.
Original post by SH0405
I would say that Biology A-Level is far easier than Physics.

Chemistry and Further Maths are definitely the hardest A-Levels.

Biology there is a huge amount of content to understand and remember. There isn't a lot to A-level physics if you do maths as well.

I guess it just depends on what you're good at.

I'd probably say additional further maths, then further maths, then chemistry. There's no way additional further maths is easier than further maths.
Reply 15
Biology there is a huge amount of content to understand and remember. There isn't a lot to A-level physics if you do maths as well.

I guess it just depends on what you're good at.

I'd probably say additional further maths, then further maths, then chemistry. There's no way additional further maths is easier than further maths.

I've never heard of Additional Further Maths.
Original post by Xenon1305
AS physics is not for the faint hearted... you've gotta enjoy physics and maths because so far, that's all the first module is (mechanics), unit two is more theory type stuff.

To be honest, all the A-levels are harder at AS compared with GCSE! Teachers, older students etc will tell you that it is a "big jump" and I didnt really believe it, but it really is, in everything.

The same with Bio, and Chem, its much harder at AS, and you begin to realise how much easier GCSE was only once you have completed them... its one of those things that you have to discover for yourself!

I've taken Bio chem phys math and english lit, (im at AS) so i know how the difficulty increases! Make sure you choose what 'you' are interested in, otherwise studying for a subject that you dont like becomes 100 times worse because of the added difficulty!

Hope this helps

Xe

Ye I totally agree, im actually retaking year 12 again due to not doing the best last year as I thought I could do just little bits of revision like GSCE, BIG MISTAKE. But as long as you are a keen learner, enjoy maths and physics and revise, then it shouldn't be to much of a problem
Ss
Original post by SH0405
I've never heard of Additional Further Maths.

Some boards and most schools don't offer it. Edexcel do but I do AQA.
it's three or six of the last modules depending on whether you take it to A2. So basically the hardest modules that you wouldn't take in your first two maths A-levels.
I'll probably end up with an AS in it but it won't be credited because I'm with AQA.
Reply 18
Ss
Some boards and most schools don't offer it. Edexcel do but I do AQA.
it's three or six of the last modules depending on whether you take it to A2. So basically the hardest modules that you wouldn't take in your first two maths A-levels.
I'll probably end up with an AS in it but it won't be credited because I'm with AQA.

Ah. That's pretty cool.
Original post by SH0405
Ah. That's pretty cool.

So you'd most likely do in normal maths+further: (C1-4, D1-2, M1-2, S1-2, FP1-2).F
or additional you would do three or six out of: (FP3-4, S3-4, M3-5), which are the hardest modules.
I'm doing FP3, FP4 and maybe M3.

Quick Reply

Latest