The Student Room Group

In need of help on what 3rd a level to pick?

Hey,
I want to study A Level Maths and A Level Economics in my sixth form however I need a 3rd option. I would like to do a business related subject in university so can anyone give me any options. These are the options that I would like you to choose from:
Geography,
Government & Politics,
Philosophy & Ethics,
Psychology,
Sociology.
At the moment for my GCSE's I have chosen Computing, ICT, Btec Business & Geography, however computing and ICT is irrelevant as I have changed my career option from Computer Engineer To Business Management - Accounting - Economics.
Thanks.
aren't you supposed to choose 4 a levels? you drop one and carry on 3 subjects to a2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
aren't you supposed to choose 4 a levels? you drop one and carry on 3 subjects to a2

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not necessarily. Most schools suggest taking 4 incase you decide to drop one so you still have the 3 to do that is enough for uni offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Don't you choose 4?

And a business management degree really wouldn't be worth the time or debt. If you want to go corporate, just apply for a starting position/apprenticeship ect at a company and work upwards. If you want to manage your own company, set it up already! Correct me if Im wrong but you could achieve a lot more in 3 years in the job market than at university and youd potentially be £100k+ better off. Long-term, that degree isn't going to give anywhere near enough of ad advantage for the costs involved.

However definitely accounting and probably economics are a different story, you'd definitely need a degree to be an accountant. Any "management" degree is generally a £30K con
Reply 4
The only one I can give an opinion on is Politics, since I study it, and I absolutely love it.
Original post by frances98
No not necessarily. Most schools suggest taking 4 incase you decide to drop one so you still have the 3 to do that is enough for uni offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohhh i see
Reply 6
Original post by frances98

Some, not all, courses do specify they want a 4th subject at AS though
Original post by pleaserespond
Hey,
I want to study A Level Maths and A Level Economics in my sixth form however I need a 3rd option. I would like to do a business related subject in university so can anyone give me any options. These are the options that I would like you to choose from:
Geography,
Government & Politics,
Philosophy & Ethics,
Psychology,
Sociology.
At the moment for my GCSE's I have chosen Computing, ICT, Btec Business & Geography, however computing and ICT is irrelevant as I have changed my career option from Computer Engineer To Business Management - Accounting - Economics.
Thanks.

Why are you taking ICT and Computing GCSE at the same time?:/

Original post by bubblegumcat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ABand98
Don't you choose 4?

And a business management degree really wouldn't be worth the time or debt. If you want to go corporate, just apply for a starting position/apprenticeship ect at a company and work upwards. If you want to manage your own company, set it up already! Correct me if Im wrong but you could achieve a lot more in 3 years in the job market than at university and youd potentially be £100k+ better off. Long-term, that degree isn't going to give anywhere near enough of ad advantage for the costs involved.

However definitely accounting and probably economics are a different story, you'd definitely need a degree to be an accountant. Any "management" degree is generally a £30K con

A-Levels are changing from September 2015, I did a thread about this :biggrin:
I think Govt and Politics as you need to understand this for Economics.

Many schools are changing to students just taking 3 A levels as most courses are changing to linear in September.
Reply 9
Original post by elmosandy
Why are you taking ICT and Computing GCSE at the same time?:/

A-Levels are changing from September 2015, I did a thread about this :biggrin:

Oh yes of course they are, my school are still keeping modular AS's so 4 choices
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
I think Govt and Politics as you need to understand this for Economics.

Many schools are changing to students just taking 3 A levels as most courses are changing to linear in September.

You definitely don't need to understand politics for economics. General knowledge about the government is more than enough.

Maybe do geography, it's regarded quite highly and the people I know that do it really like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABand98
Oh yes of course they are, my school are still keeping modular AS's so 4 choices

it's changed.

A-Levels are going to be linear so basically no as or a2, just two years of work and at the end of two years final exams called a-level exams.

BUT there is going to be AS but they will be a standalone qualification, so NO A2 and it won't count towards the final linear a-level grade or uni, however Cambridge wrote a letter to all schools in the country asking them to make their students do 4 AS in year12 so that when they apply to uni in year13 Cambridge will kind of have an indicator of where they are :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ABand98
Don't you choose 4?

I think you can actually do accounting without a degree - instead train with an accounting firm for a qualification, or something like that? (My uncle is an accountant and likes to tell everyone that he wished he'd done that instead of going to uni for maths, and a friend from college was planning on starting next year but has changed her mind).

Quick Reply

Latest