The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

They don't force you to have a reference from your current employer. When you pass the FSAC, they give you the option of putting your current employer reference on hold as they understand it does not look good to ask your employer for a reference when you are not 100% sure you have the job.

I am pretty sure as long as it's on hold, and you can provide previous employment references, it does not stop you from being given a firm offer of employment or start date. As long as all other references are ok, and everything is successful, you should hear from your department at some point.

I am in the same boat, I have asked them to put my current employer reference on hold. The annoying thing is everything is ok and successful except for 1 of my 2 previous employment references, which is now being chased. There's only so many times I can e-mail them asking to do it!
Original post by frankers1088
I can confirm I have been contacted by a department about my assignment and I requested that my current employer not be contacted yet. All I have had is an email to confirm my department (Welsh Assembly- Social Research stream), with no formal offer or details. It says to expect contact within the next 4 weeks by the department to discuss specific role and offer. So, don't worry!

Thanks for the reply frankers , much appreciated! Good to know. Sounds like an interesting posting
Reply 1802
Original post by d41k57
Hi Ailss - it depends on the volume of allocations they are dealing with and how quickly the department responds once your file is passed onto them. I just had my allocation (from the statistician's stream) last week.

Parity told me that once all of the pre-appointment paperwork is complete, they contact the organisation handling your allocation (for me this was the ONS). Nothing will happen before the checks are satisfactorily completed. The person handling your allocation then looks at the available postings, against your preferred department/location and once they have selected a posting they will contact that department with your file. Once a department accepts your file, you will be contacted by the allocations officer to inform you of where you are going.

Once my checks were complete it took from the week before Christmas until last week to hear which department I had been allocated to and which location I would be in (I imagine the Christmas break slowed things down a bit). I found out in an email. The email wasn't very detailed, it didn't have any info on a start date or salary. It just told me that I would be contacted directly by the department to arrange a meeting in advance of them issuing a formal offer of employment. I think the pre-offer meeting is common throughout the Fast Stream and is just a chance to discuss the role on offer, start date and any particulars.

Hope this helps - I know the feeling of waiting for news - but it shouldn't take too long. The best way to speed things along is to gently prod your employers to send in their reference ASAP (it is done by email, so Parity will process it pretty much as soon as it comes in).

I am suprised Parity gave you that information, as from my experience the pre-appointment checks are not a requirement for receiving a department allocation - only for the receipt of the formal offer of employment. I was told where I would be placed without even touching the checks.
Original post by isherregods
They don't force you to have a reference from your current employer. When you pass the FSAC, they give you the option of putting your current employer reference on hold as they understand it does not look good to ask your employer for a reference when you are not 100% sure you have the job.

I am pretty sure as long as it's on hold, and you can provide previous employment references, it does not stop you from being given a firm offer of employment or start date. As long as all other references are ok, and everything is successful, you should hear from your department at some point.

I am in the same boat, I have asked them to put my current employer reference on hold. The annoying thing is everything is ok and successful except for 1 of my 2 previous employment references, which is now being chased. There's only so many times I can e-mail them asking to do it!

Thanks for the reply isherregods, really good to hear. I think because there are a mix of
current students and graduates applying for the scheme, not everyone will be in a
position where they will have to leave a current job to take up the role so it's really useful to hear from people in the same boat.

I hope you get your reference from your previous job soon. It's frustrating waiting on
things from previous employers as they often dont care as much about getting anything
done for you. Was just getting to the stage with my previous employer when i was going
to chase them up and saw Parity had done it for me! Seemed to then get them to action it which was good.
Reply 1804
Original post by lilys
I am suprised Parity gave you that information, as from my experience the pre-appointment checks are not a requirement for receiving a department allocation - only for the receipt of the formal offer of employment. I was told where I would be placed without even touching the checks.

It wasn't just Parity, the allocations team also told me the same thing. They have to finish your Disclosure Scotland form etc., and they didn't send my info over until everything was complete. I'm sure if you've arranged to defer employers references then that's fine, but as far as I have been led to believe the checks are mandatory before allocation.

This is was included in the message telling me I'd passed the FSAC: "...Following your success at FSAC, subject to the completion of the pre-appointment checks and receipt of remaining references, the Government Statistician Service will assign you to a department and will be in touch with you shortly". I.e. Checks before allocation.
Original post by GManTheGMan
I can understand why you might want to avoid that for personal reasons but you're under no obligation to give notice just because you ask for a reference. I was an in-service candidate so my managers were aware of the process all the way through and that I would be giving formal notice as early as I could.

Thanks for the reply gman. I know someone currently on the fast stream who applied when already in the civil service, and similar to you their manager was aware all the way through, so think it makes it a bit easier in that regard.

Although I know I'm probably not obliged to give notice should my current employer get a reference request, I think I'd feel really awkward about it until I did!
Reply 1806
Hi , I have got my assessment on 26th Jan. Just wanted to clarify if we would be allowed to write on the reading material we will get particularly for the leadership exercise. Also do we get any breaks ? and is there a designated area for smoking? Thanks
I
Reply 1807
Original post by hq1
Hi , I have got my assessment on 26th Jan. Just wanted to clarify if we would be allowed to write on the reading material we will get particularly for the leadership exercise. Also do we get any breaks ? and is there a designated area for smoking? Thanks
I

Best of luck for the FSAC. There is plenty of break time set aside, about 20 mins in the morning, at least 45 mins lunch (which is provided as a buffet) and another 20 min in the afternoon. You are given pens, pencils, rulers and lots of scrap paper to write on. You can write directly on the reading material if you want and you can bring your notes with you to the leadership briefing. Just treat the day as normally as you can and you'll do great.
Reply 1808
Hi chaps. Anybody who did FSAC on 15th January got their results yet? I'm in DaT and Central Depts and haven't heard anything. I see from other posts that a lot of people are still waiting - just wondering because someone earlier on posted that they had results from the FSAC on the 14th Jan already. Cheers :smile:
Original post by fuzzak
Hi chaps. Anybody who did FSAC on 15th January got their results yet? I'm in DaT and Central Depts and haven't heard anything. I see from other posts that a lot of people are still waiting - just wondering because someone earlier on posted that they had results from the FSAC on the 14th Jan already. Cheers :smile:

Hey, I was also there on the 15th, my application status has changed to awaiting results but I've yet to hear anything either....
My mum interviews you lot :')
Hi all,

I had my FSAC on Monday (19th) and this evening my status changed to 'Awaiting Results'...

Does anyone know how long after this you hear if you have an immediate pass or fail mark?

Thanks x
Original post by PJ07
What are you applying to? I did mine on the 13th and it only changed to `Awaiting Results' yesterday. Today will be one week since the FSAC so I guess if it's not updated today then I'm on the amber band. :frown:

Best of luck to you!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied for the HR scheme. My page has just updated to 'awaiting results' and I feel sick with nerves...!

Really hope you get good news!
Hello everyone

Well done to all those who have passed their FSAC, and good luck to those still waiting!

I have mine on the 2nd Feb, and was wondering if anyone wants to share their experiences of the day?
In particular, how was the interview? I know its competency based, but do they ask about all the competencies or just a couple (want to prep some good examples!)

Any advice much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by rastgazel
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows at what stage you give your preferences for which department(s) you would prefer to work in on the Central Departments GFS Scheme...?

I've got the FSAC coming up soon and haven't heard or read anything about it yet... I'm guessing maybe it is at the FSAC itself or soon after if you are successful?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

You don't really get such an option in GFS - generally speaking.
Analytical schemes tend to give preferences. Having said that, you can influence the posting process - certainly after the first post - by ensuring that your career desires and preferences are known to your cohort leader.

Of course this might change in future but until now, it has to my knowledge been the case that you don't choose or select preferences for department in GFS.
Original post by meganfleur
Thanks so much! How long is the lunch break - is there enough time to go for a walk?! x

It can vary from person to person. You get your own timetable in the morning. I was on a short lunch of 35 minutes whereas some people had nearer an hour. But then I had a longer afternoon break. My morning exercises ran over (a person in my group exercise ran late) and so my lunch ended up being 28 minutes...a point which I remember clearly because I didn't have time for a walk (though it would have been long enough to pop my head out the main door for a breath of fresh had I chosen to do so).
Reply 1816
Original post by d41k57
Best of luck for the FSAC. There is plenty of break time set aside, about 20 mins in the morning, at least 45 mins lunch (which is provided as a buffet) and another 20 min in the afternoon. You are given pens, pencils, rulers and lots of scrap paper to write on. You can write directly on the reading material if you want and you can bring your notes with you to the leadership briefing. Just treat the day as normally as you can and you'll do great.

Thanks a lot
Reply 1817
Original post by E.Marie
Hello everyone

Well done to all those who have passed their FSAC, and good luck to those still waiting!

I have mine on the 2nd Feb, and was wondering if anyone wants to share their experiences of the day?
In particular, how was the interview? I know its competency based, but do they ask about all the competencies or just a couple (want to prep some good examples!)

Any advice much appreciated! :smile:

Hey E.Marie, my interview was quite wide ranging looking at my academic, vocational and social life. The competencies they were assessing were given to me on my timetable, there were four in all. I won't list mine incase they are different for you or your scheme. Best to think of examples for each. The style was very straightforward, much like any graduate scheme interview. The questions were almost all example based ("tell me about a time when you did..." sort of thing), with a few ambitions based questions. Before my FSAC I did the same as you and thought of examples for each competency, it was very useful. Something that really helped me was getting my partner to do a mock interview asking about the competencies. Remember that lots of the competencies overlap, so it's fine to point out where an example is evidence for more than one competency. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Original post by d41k57
I won't list mine incase they are different for you or your scheme.

The competencies are all the same, listed clearly in the FSAC guide on the candidate website. You can find a breakdown of what is required for them by googling 'civil service competencies'... the frameworks are all the same, I think it's around Level 4?

Remember that lots of the competencies overlap, so it's fine to point out where an example is evidence for more than one competency. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Yes, and no. I had my interview today and my interviewer said to me that my first example could also have been used for the second question, but asked me it anyway. They need a different example for each question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1819
Original post by Magnum Opus
The competencies are all the same, listed clearly in the FSAC guide on the candidate website. You can find a breakdown of what is required for them by googling 'civil service competencies'... the frameworks are all the same, I think it's around Level 4?

Yes, and no. I had my interview today and my interviewer said to me that my first example could also have been used for the second question, but asked me it anyway. They need a different example for each question.

Sorry for any confusion, I know the fast stream competencies are the same for everyone. All I meant was that on my timetable they identified a subset of four of them that would be covered in my interview. They even told me which two would form the first half of my interview and which two the second. I didn't want to specify which four in case they pick different specific competencies for different streams. They probably don't but I was just being careful.

Again sorry for my ambiguous language, I wasn't suggesting giving the same answer again. I agree that that would be a bad idea. I was saying that there's nothing wrong with showing that you can see the links between the competencies, and how this relates to your experiences. It didn't seem to cause any issues for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending