The Student Room Group

I think that everyone with an Oxbridge degree is elitist.

Most of them are so in your face about it! They think they're better than everyone else at every other university.

What they don't understand is that in the real world their degree doesn't really mean anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 7589200
What they don't understand is that in the real world their degree doesn't really mean anything.

And upon which basis have you formed this conclusion?
Reply 2
Original post by vimto39
And upon which basis have you formed this conclusion?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9532912/Best-universities-for-high-starting-salaries.html?frame=2334366

This is a list of the 'Best Universities For High Starting Salaries'

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

And everyone knows that the majority of people only get into Oxbridge due to their wealthy backgrounds. These salaries are despite them fully utilising their family connections in industry. And they still couldn't get into the top 5.
(edited 9 years ago)
OK :erm:
Reply 4

That's not a justification. All you have demonstrated is that three other top-tier Institutions have higher starting salaries, on average, than an Oxford or Cambridge graduate, from one particular source.

On what basis does that make their degree worthless; I see no mention of any ex-polytechnic Universities on this list. Their degrees must be really worthless..
Reply 5
Original post by vimto39
That's not a justification. All you have demonstrated is that three other top-tier Institutions have higher starting salaries, on average, than an Oxford or Cambridge graduate, from one particular source.

On what basis does that make their degree worthless; I see no mention of any ex-polytechnic Universities on this list. Their degrees must be really worthless..

Yeah they probably are.

It is a justification to the fact that the additional importance people place on Oxbridge degrees is insanely disproportionate to the actual benefit they confer.

Which is why I say 'they don't really mean for anything'. ie. compared to any other reasonable university.
Reply 6
Original post by 7589200
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9532912/Best-universities-for-high-starting-salaries.html?frame=2334366

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

And everyone knows that the majority of people only get into Oxbridge due to their wealthy backgrounds. These salaries are despite them fully utilising their family connections in industry. And they still couldn't get into the top 5.

LSE is at number 1 on the list purely because of the amount of investment bankers that graduate from there.

Surely its obvious that someone with a degree in english from oxbridge is going to have a lower starting salary than someone going into investment banking.
Reply 7
Only if they think that the Oxbridge degree automatically makes them better than everyone else. Speak to any decent Oxbridge graduate and I'll bet that isn't the case.
I'd worry about your own degree or chosen academia.
Reply 9
Original post by 7589200

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

Most people at Oxbridge are from state schools. Being rich does not help you get through the application process anymore than a poor person with the same qualities (apart from special cases like the royal family etc but that's an insignificant number of people).
Original post by 7589200
Yeah they probably are.

It is a justification to the fact that the additional importance people place on Oxbridge degrees is insanely disproportionate to the actual benefit they confer.

Which is why I say 'they don't really mean for anything'. ie. compared to any other reasonable university.

I wouldn't class those Institutions as reasonable Universities, they are still some of the best Universities in the world.

Oxford and Cambridge are purely academic Institutions, and many people will pursue careers in academia which has a low base salary. They are much more likely to be appointed academic posts, however, making their degree far more worthwhile to them, despite being on a lower salary.

On the reverse of this, ICL, LSE and St Georges are focused on the application of academia in some respects; to Engineering and Science, Economics and Finance, and Medicine, all of which have very well paid starting salaries at the top graduate end.

What I'm saying is, you can't label a degree worthless based on the graduate starting salary, when the body of students at such Universities have different end, or perhaps rather start, goals.
Reply 11
Original post by james22
Most people at Oxbridge are from state schools. Being rich does not help you get through the application process anymore than a poor person with the same qualities (apart from special cases like the royal family etc but that's an insignificant number of people).

If I remember correctly the most state-school-friendly college in Oxbridge is St Johns College, Oxford which has a rate of 50%.

Being rich gets you
1. Better coaching for passing exams
2. Better interview practice
3. Better help with your personal statement
4. Increased coaching for exams like STEP and BMAT
5. Better advice and guidance from Oxbridge offer holders in the year above you
6. Better knowledge about which colleges and courses to apply for and many schools have 'track records' of getting people in at certain places year after year
7. Better access to improve your extra-ciricular activities

And on and on and on.
Original post by 7589200
Most of them are so in your face about it! They think they're better than everyone else at every other university.

No.
Original post by 7589200

Wrong

Original post by 7589200

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

I'm not surprised you don't understand why these universities topped the list...

Original post by 7589200

Wrong again

10/10 for effort

2/10 for execution
Original post by 7589200

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

That even isn't true, they get in due to their academic ability which is due to them working very hard, my cousin is in her final year at Cambridge university and she isn't rich, her dad is only works at a takeaway and she went to one of the most underachieving high schools and still got her A*'s in a level and impressed the interviewers and Cambridge and I have seen how much work she put in and she doesn't think she higher than everyone just because she gone to an Oxbridge university because I think everyone knows experience is valued as much as a degree, it sounds like some one is suffering from jealously
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I take it you got rejected by Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Original post by 7589200
If I remember correctly the most state-school-friendly college in Oxbridge is St Johns College, Oxford which has a rate of 50%.

Being rich gets you
6. Better knowledge about which colleges and courses to apply for and many schools have 'track records' of getting people in at certain places year after year

And on and on and on.

Given the oxbridge average is 60% state, you're certainly misremembering. I think kings, trinity and churchill cambridge do well for state schoolers.
Original post by Audiology-Med
That even isn't true, they get in due to their academic ability which is due to them working very hard, my cousin is in her final year at Cambridge university and she isn't rich, her dad is only a taxi driver and she went to one of the most underachieving high schools and still got her A*'s in a level and impressed the interviewers and Cambridge and I have seen how much work she put in and she doesn't think she higher than everyone just because she gone to an Oxbridge university because I think everyone knows experience is valued as much as a degree, it sounds like some one is suffering from jealously

That's also bullcrap, what social class you end up in life (especially in the UK) LARGELY depends on where ( not geographical location) you were born. UK is not a meritocracy, and neither are Oxbridge. Of course you will get extremely hard working poorish people who will get in, but poor people have the odds stacked up against them. How can they compete with the rich kid who has 5 tutors and a personal UCAS advisor?

Everyone there would have had to work to get in of course, but the discrepancy in support between rich candidates and less wealthy candidates have is astonishing.

Also check the number of candidates admitted from independent schools.
Original post by 7589200

Being rich gets you

And on and on and on.

1. Oxbridge cannot help that.
2. That makes less difference that you would think. Everything you need is online.
3. That doesn't matter at all.
4. Use the internet, they make the resources for these exams very accessible. Coaching helps, but it won't make you pass the exam.
5. That is all on the internet, the Oxford and Cambridge websites give you tons of information about all of this.
6. You should pick the coruse before teh universty really. Picking a different college doesn't make much difference due to the pooling systems.
7. They don't matter.
I had an encounter with a Cambridge applicant earlier this week (on TSR, actually) and.. well, it wasn't pretty. No matter how successful my application has been, apparently it's worth nothing. Because I didn't apply to Oxbridge. Who don't do my course. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I do agree that some/most of them are like that. But my best friend has applied to Cambridge and she's the nicest person I've ever met. Seriously, she's like an angel (people have actually described her as an angel). There are people on both ends of the scale.
Original post by Theafricanlegend
That's also bullcrap, what social class you end up in life (especially in the UK) LARGELY depends on where ( not geographical location) you were born. UK is not a meritocracy, and neither are Oxbridge. Of course you will get extremely hard working poorish people who will get in, but poor people have the odds stacked up against them. How can they compete with the rich kid who has 5 tutors and a personal UCAS advisor?

Everyone there would have had to work to get in of course, but the discrepancy in support between rich candidates and less wealthy candidates have is astonishing.

Also check the number of candidates admitted from independent schools.

This applies to all of education and employment though, nothing special about Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending