The Student Room Group

Your six most Liked politicians in the UK active today

Same as the last thread, only that it's MPs, MEPs and lords that you like instead of dislike.

an explanation why would be nice.

1: Nick Clegg: I think he is a truly decent politician and it's a shame that so many people have fallen for the Labour Press offices attempts to discredit him. He comes across very well on his LBC show and talk shows IE the free speech one and the leaders live debates.

2: Paddy Ashdown (pants down!): helped bring about the lib dems as a contender un British politics. Excellent on QT.

3: Ken Clarke: for treating the euro sceptics with the contempt they deserve. Is also an excellent minister.

4: Dominic Grieve: a superb minister and a protected of the HR act from lunatics in the party.

5: Evan Harris (dr death) ex MP: for his militant secularism and championing of science.

6: Godfrey Bloom: Purely for the comedy factor and cos he shows that Ukip likes to be PC too.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

george osborne - king of wit and one liners, and tearing apart Labour policies with great humour .
also has a cheeky, dark side to him. the type of person I admire, very cocky and determined

Cameron - fantastic leader. another master of wit and humour

Clegg - very ruthless, and a good leader. always has an answer, very professional person, even if what he says is nonsense.

farage - very charismatic, open, and honest.

Michael Howard - actually a lord, but I admired his sheer ruthlessness and heartlessness, whilst at the same time having a bizarre compassionate side to him. very professional and brutal man

caroline lucas - because we must accept that green policies must be talked about
(edited 9 years ago)
Caroline Lucas - don't agree with all green policies but environmental issues need to be talked about, and all the other main parties pretty much ignore them.

William Hague - disagree with some of his politics (particularly Syria) but he was the MP for my constituency and was apparently very helpful to constituents who met with him. He turned up at our village fete every year, even this year when he had been at some conference with Angelina Jolie the day before, so he seemed to take the job seriously.

Can't think of another 4 right now.

Original post by Davij038
Same as the last thread, only that it's MPs, MEPs and lords that you like instead of dislike.

an explanation why would be nice.

1: Nick Clegg: I think he is a truly decent politician and it's a shame that so many people have fallen for the Labour Press offices attempts to discredit him. He comes across very well on his LBC show and talk shows IE the free speech one and the leaders live debates.

2: Paddy Ashdown (pants down!): helped bring about the lib dems as a contender un British politics. Excellent on QT.

3: Ken Clarke: for treating the euros ethics with the contempt they deserve. Is also an excellent minister.

4: Dominic Grieve: a superb minister and a protected of the HR act from lunatics in the party.

5: Evan Harris (dr death) ex MP: for his militant secularism and championing of science.

6: Godfrey Bloom: Purely for the comedy factor and cos he shows that Ukip likes to be PC too.

I don't know what you mean by that. What are "euros ethics"?
Reply 3
Original post by RFowler

I don't know what you mean by that. What are "euros ethics"?

Sorry, typo: should read euro sceptics

Also, I think the lib dems have a good record with environmental issues: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/without-lib-dems-there-would-be-nothing-stop-tories-neglecting-environment

And for the sake of balance, Tony Blair for all his faults also helped the environmental agenda.
Sorry, typo: should read euro sceptics

Also, I think the lib dems have a good record with environmental issues: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/01/without-lib-dems-there-would-be-nothing-stop-tories-neglecting-environment

And for the sake of balance, Tony Blair for all his faults also helped the environmental agenda.

Why exactly do you think Euroskeptics deserve the "contempt" they got from Ken Clarke?
Reply 5
Original post by democracyforum
george osborne - king of wit and one liners, and tearing apart Labour policies with great humour .
also has a cheeky, dark side to him.

Cameron - fantastic leader

Clegg - very ruthless, and a good leader. always has an answer, very professional person.

farage - very charismatic, open, and honest.

Michael Howard - he was just so cold blooded and represented the Conservatives when they were the most snobby, upper/middle class party in Britain, and he introduced the poll tax and section 28. however I admired his sheer audacity.

caroline lucas - because we must accept that green policies must be talked about

I think you're the only person on the planet that would have Clegg, Cameron, Farage and Bennett on the same list.

Kudos for Osborne: I loved that line he did:

Ed balls: the British public won't be taken for mugs!

George Osborne; that's why you're in opposition!
Erm let me think about this one.....

Oh.........wait no all politicians are ******s
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RFowler
Why exactly do you think Euroskeptics deserve the "contempt" they got from Ken Clarke?

Because its either dishonest or just plain ridiculous.

IE

When Cameron Blamed Brussels for "Suddenly" giving him a 1.6 Billion euros bill (Clarke rightly said that the treasury must have known about it well beforehand and it was their fault and not the EU's)

When "Theresa May had claimed someone was granted asylum because they had a pet cat. Clarke hit back within minutes: "I'll have a small bet with her that nobody has ever been refused deportation on the grounds of the ownership of a cat."

There are quite a few other cases.
Liam Byrne - he's just generally bloody good and his dog is really sweet

John Robertson - MP for Glasgow North West ever since I saw him totally lay into the climate change deniers and stand up for his constituents in the IPCC parliamentary review.

Doreen Lawrence - (I know not technically an MP or MEP but I wish she was) all round amazing lady

Hilary Ben - good on the environment, talked a lot of sense over the badger cull after the pilot

Stella Creasy - she's just super lovely and her politics are good

Dennis Skinner - absolute legend and always amazingly entertaining in the debates. Don't make politicians like him any more.

If I can't have Doreen I'll go with:
Sadiq Khan - always talk sense, good articles in the independent on greening labour
1. Daniel Hannan. Political idol. Love his intelligent, principled, liberal, Eurosceptic brand of politics.

2. Michael Gove. This is often a conversation killer. If I say, 'actually I like him' suddenly I'm at fault for starting a political argument, whereas the past 10 minutes of other people hating on reforms they don't really understand was fine :rolleyes:. Best man currently in government IMO, can't really forgive Cameron for demoting him and putting that stooge Morgan in his place. Seemingly the only man in the country with the balls to take on the teaching unions over a system which has failed generations of children.

3. David Davis. Should really have beaten Cameron for the leadership, and since then he's gone a bit off the rails. We could have done with a few more from his background at the top, and men who are prepared to put their principles before their job.

4. Douglas Carswell. Even if he is a treacherous dog, he's a passionate parliamentarian and I like him for the same reasons as Hannan. He's not quite as eloquent, and I don't agree with his move to UKIP, but it's hard to deny his heart isn't in the right place.

5. John Redwood. My MP until the age of 3. An old Tory Eurosceptic, he writes some very good stuff.

6. BoJo. Because, why the hell not?

This was quite revealing in terms of political leanings.
!

who is bennett
William Hague - Became leader 15 years too early. He's competent, made all the right noises over the Arab spring/Civil War (constrained by parliament), pragmatic and generally a great statesman. He just oozes prime ministerial qualities.

Michael Gove - Lacked the tact he needed to fight the teaching unions effectively but education should be hard if we are to compete. He was the first education secretary in decades not to view schools as C grade factories. He's one of the 'vision' politicians in politics today. Much like Farage has a vision for how Britain should be, i think Gove is one of the few front benches who does too.

David Willets - A brilliant minister who deserved promotion rather than the sack. Dam shame that we had to go into coalition because it stopped him being the SOS for BIS. I hope he's promoted by the next leader.

Margaret Hodge - Easily the best Labour politician. Does an exceptional job as chair for the public accounts committee and is not afraid to grill any parties MP effectively or take on big business using the law somewhat generously.

Danny Alexander - The unsung hero of the Lib Dems, he's been hard at work slashing the deficit and raising my tax threshold while other Liberals have whinged or avoided responsibility. I'd love him to join the Tories.

Kenneth Clarke - Unsung hero in politics. Presided as chancellor over growth, falling unemployment and inflation and deficit. Witty and able to give Labour a good spanking like the other week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30518446

Blair, Hestletine and Major deserve a mention.

who is bennett

Natalie Bennet, Green leader.
Reply 13
who is bennett

The leader of the greens.
David Cameron : He was a great MP and still is a fairly good one though he is rarely ever found in his constituency. As a PM, he has done as good a job as one could reasonably expect given the circumstances. Many difficult decisions but too bad too many flip-flops as well.

Ian Duncan Smith : He is delivering the reforms that are most needed in the country. Finally someone with some balls to not bow to pressure from the scroungers or their supporters. Hope he stays on in his ministerial position after the election.

George Osborne : He is doing a fantastic job picking up the pieces and the mess the previous government left the country in. Lots of good policies and ideas (granted am not sure if they are 100% his as he has a huge team of special advisors)

Danny Alexander : I'm quite surprised he is hardly mentioned, doing a great job as a minister and unlike the loud-mouths of the Lib-Dems this one talks less and does a lot more.

Theresa May : Kind of ugly but she is saying the right words that the politically correct insist on not saying.
Lord Lawson
Nigel Farage
George Eustice
Ian Davidson
William Hague
Sarah Wollaston.

Would love to have said Jacob Rees Mogg too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't be bothered naming why but

Nigel Farage
Daniel Hannan
Jacob Rees Mogg
Douglas Carswell

Can't really think of many who speak the truth, those are the ones I like, Mark Reckless does yeah but doesn't mean I think he's terrific.

However the top three I mentioned I like and respect very much, very principled and well-read people who speak for all people.

Journalist and the like wise

James Delingpole
Douglas Murray
Peter Hitchens
David Starkey
Melanie Philips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
David Davis is my most liked, its a shame he was not leader of the tories
iain duncan smith, osborne and gove are great too
Reply 18
Jacob Rees mogg such principle: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/tory-backbench-mp-jacob-reesmogg-failed-to-declare-interests-9923362.html

that said, even though I strongly disagree with him, I think Dan hanann is decent,
anna soubry - a complete bitch, but she is outspoken and has thatcher-like qualities, and is a good inspiration for women

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending