The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary English Interview

Hello anybody and everybody!

I've got an English interview at Queen Mary on the 4th of February, and I just wanted to know if anybody else is going on that day too?

And for those who have already experienced the interview - what kinds of questions do they ask? All the posts I've seen on English interview questions have been quite vague, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could just let me know...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Scroll to see replies

I have an English one on the fourth too! I know there's going to be a one on one interview but I've also seen some applicants have had a group discussion with an assessor watching on? If anyone has experienced this pleeeease let know how it was
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
I was scared enough just knowing that it's an interview, it didn't even cross my mind that it might not be one-to-one!

I've got mine on Feb. 11 so you'll have to report back to me what its like :smile:
Reply 3
I have an interview for English on the 4th as well! I am really nervous :frown: I thought it was going to be an informal interview but some people are saying that sometimes they give an extract to analyse before or during the interview. I hate being put on the spot!!!
My friend had an interview for English Lit a year or so back and he said his interviewer did the following:
- Analyse a poem after looking at it for a few minutes
- Just talked about the subject generally
- Interests
- A bit about London

Basically he said it wont be a scrutiny of knowledge its more to show your enthusiasm for a subject you're (hopefully) passionate about.
Reply 5
Original post by tellmeimmageek
Hello anybody and everybody!

I've got an English interview at Queen Mary on the 4th of February, and I just wanted to know if anybody else is going on that day too?

And for those who have already experienced the interview - what kinds of questions do they ask? All the posts I've seen on English interview questions have been quite vague, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could just let me know...

Thanks a lot in advance!

I had my interview for English at Queen Mary today and it's nothing to worry about. My interviewer went through my personal statement and asked my opinions on the books I had written about. So just make sure you know your PS well. Although I know that others who had an interview today were asked to analyse text/poerty but that just depends on who's interviewing you. Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by Zenny_x
I had my interview for English at Queen Mary today and it's nothing to worry about. My interviewer went through my personal statement and asked my opinions on the books I had written about. So just make sure you know your PS well. Although I know that others who had an interview today were asked to analyse text/poerty but that just depends on who's interviewing you. Hope this helps.

Was this for the straight English course?
Reply 7
Original post by Laurakp
Was this for the straight English course?

Yes it was :smile:
Original post by Zenny_x

Thanks so much for letting me know. I really appreciate it! I suppose that should be alright, it's just about knowing your personal statement inside-out really. What texts did you talk about? And how was the lecture?
Reply 9
Do most people get interviewed. 😳 I applied in November and I'm yet to hear back from them (im a gap year student so I already have and meet their entry requirements of abb)
I'm going on the 4th too. Not sure whether I'll be questioned on history too as I have applied for joint.
I've got my interview on the eleventh and it says there'll be a taster lecture along with some information on the course etc. Can anyone who has already been for their interview comment on the structure of the day?
Reply 12
Thanks so much for letting me know. I really appreciate it! I suppose that should be alright, it's just about knowing your personal statement inside-out really. What texts did you talk about? And how was the lecture?

You're welcome! I talked about Wuthering Heights, the bell jar, some of Sylvia Plath's poerty and King Lear. The taster lecture was good, the one I had one was on a book by Virginia Woolf called 'Mrs Dalloway'.
Reply 13
Original post by serenajade
I've got my interview on the eleventh and it says there'll be a taster lecture along with some information on the course etc. Can anyone who has already been for their interview comment on the structure of the day?

When you arrive there you have an introducery talk and you're split up into two groups. The first group is taken to have their interview, whilst the second group is given a campus tour, attends the taster lecture and when the first group have finished they do the activities of the second group while they have their interview. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by emtheelf
I'm going on the 4th too. Not sure whether I'll be questioned on history too as I have applied for joint.

I applied for a joint honours with hisrory too and my interview was only on english but it depends on the interviewer as well :smile:
Original post by Zenny_x
When you arrive there you have an introducery talk and you're split up into two groups. The first group is taken to have their interview, whilst the second group is given a campus tour, attends the taster lecture and when the first group have finished they do the activities of the second group while they have their interview. Hope this helps :smile:

It was definitely very helpful, thank you! I hate to be a pain but roughly how long did it take? It's just that I have to catch a bus back so would like to know how much time I have left to navigate the tube back to the station aha. :smile:
Original post by Zenny_x
You're welcome! I talked about Wuthering Heights, the bell jar, some of Sylvia Plath's poerty and King Lear. The taster lecture was good, the one I had one was on a book by Virginia Woolf called 'Mrs Dalloway'.

I'm currently reading "Mrs Dalloway" - what a coincidence! They don't ask you any grilling questions, do they? :eek:
Reply 17
Original post by serenajade
It was definitely very helpful, thank you! I hate to be a pain but roughly how long did it take? It's just that I have to catch a bus back so would like to know how much time I have left to navigate the tube back to the station aha. :smile:

I was there from 2:30 until 5:30 pm :smile: x
Reply 18
I'm currently reading "Mrs Dalloway" - what a coincidence! They don't ask you any grilling questions, do they? :eek:

No, my interviewer was really nice and he asked me questions I knew, nothing was said that could catch me out. It's just an informal conversation on your literary interests, that's it really.
Original post by Zenny_x
I applied for a joint honours with hisrory too and my interview was only on english but it depends on the interviewer as well :smile:

Thank you for that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending