The Student Room Group

Need help with A level choices!

Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student and I study History, French and Photography along with Eng lit/lang, Maths, Triple Science and have two extra GCSE's in Portuguese and Religious Studies.

I am looking onto take a language course in university, preferably Korean Studies + Japanese, however I'm stuck on which A levels to take... French is a definite, but I'm not sure which other subjects would be useful? Thanks!
Original post by kimnini
Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student and I study History, French and Photography along with Eng lit/lang, Maths, Triple Science and have two extra GCSE's in Portuguese and Religious Studies.

I am looking onto take a language course in university, preferably Korean Studies + Japanese, however I'm stuck on which A levels to take... French is a definite, but I'm not sure which other subjects would be useful? Thanks!

Look at your requirements for the course and see what you need. Keep an open mind and study what you like! There's no point in studying a subject you'll get a really bad grade in if you don't like it.

choose what you like! Usually for languages, you just need evidence of linguistic ability. Subjects like history, politics and English literature do help you though for a language degree.
Original post by kimnini

Have you looked up any course entry requirements? If you haven't, I'd start there. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stewarte
Look at your requirements for the course and see what you need. Keep an open mind and study what you like! There's no point in studying a subject you'll get a really bad grade in if you don't like it.

choose what you like! Usually for languages, you just need evidence of linguistic ability. Subjects like history, politics and English literature do help you though for a language degree.

Thanks! I think essay based subjects would definitely help. I was going to pick History as I enjoy it a lot, however I slightly struggle with it and I'm afraid that I might not be able to cope with it as an A level...
Reply 4
Original post by crozibear96
Have you looked up any course entry requirements? If you haven't, I'd start there. :smile:

Yep, but they're not specific at all... they say that a minimum of ABB is needed, and other places just say that a modern foreign language at A level would be useful but I wanted to know other subjects that would be useful.
Original post by kimnini
Yep, but they're not specific at all... they say that a minimum of ABB is needed, and other places just say that a modern foreign language at A level would be useful but I wanted to know other subjects that would be useful.

Maybe look around which other universities you would want to apply to (you can apply to 5 in one application) and see which subjects that they list. Those subjects are bound to be useful too, even if UCL don't list them.

Quick Reply

Latest