The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Medical Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TazzyBoo
Not really. They give out excess offers and interviews with the assumption that many will take up offers elsewhere. The person has earnt their interview, and so has every right to go.

no one is taking anyone else's offer. Those who deserve and offer will get one.

I disagree with that logic. If I don't need a uni's offer, I'm not going to go to an interview there.

Unis give excess offers but they don't give an unlimited amount, hence I could get an offer at the expense of someone else since the uni only wants to give a certain number of offers.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by diseasedneckbeard
I disagree with that logic. If I don't need a uni's offer, I'm not going to go to an interview there.

Unis give excess offers but they don't give an unlimited amount, hence I could get an offer at the expense of someone else since the uni only wants to give a certain number of offers.

I understand what you mean.. although i pretty much firming Imperial... I still go to birmingham for interviews although they do ask for A*AA, I just think birmingham is a nice place to go to and the MMI interviews are good practice for me and I also need another insurance offer...
Original post by DCMed96
I understand what you mean.. although i pretty much firming Imperial... I still go to birmingham for interviews although they do ask for A*AA, I just think birmingham is a nice place to go to and the MMI interviews are good practice for me and I also need another insurance offer...

I think what he's trying to say (and what I also think btw) is not that firming is bad. It's going to the interview for the sake of going even if you're not gonna firm or insurance it. Then it's sort of stealing someone's spot especially if you're good.
Original post by ozbilege
I think what he's trying to say (and what I also think btw) is not that firming is bad. It's going to the interview for the sake of going even if you're not gonna firm or insurance it. Then it's sort of stealing someone's spot especially if you're good.

I get all of this altruism stuff, but when you've put in work to get the interview, it just seems like a waste to throw it away.

You're not stealing anyone's place because they don't strictly control the number of offers. This would disadvantage people with interviews in March, and considering these slots were offered to us, it's not fair at all. Someone might have been busy in the morning that they got the booking email, and all the early slots may have been taken. Imperial wouldn't discriminate like that... So you can reliably assume the system doesn't work like that.

If you're good enough for an offer, you'll get one. If you're not, it's harsh but Medicine is a competitive process for a reason. It's not because someone else 'took your place'. That's an excuse for a weakness in your application somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by House MD
I get all of this altruism stuff, but when you've put in work to get the interview, it just seems like a waste to throw it away.

You're not stealing anyone's place because they don't strictly control the number of offers. This would disadvantage people with interviews in March, and considering these slots were offered to us, it's not fair at all. Someone might have been busy in the morning that they got the booking email, and all the early slots may have been taken. Imperial wouldn't discriminate like that... So you can reliably assume the system doesn't work like that.

If you're good enough for an offer, you'll get one. If you're not, it's harsh but Medicine is a competitive process for a reason. It's not because someone else 'took your place'. That's an excuse for a weakness in your application somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a whole another point of discussion in my opinion. I agree with almost every word you said. But the number of offers is not random, even though it's rather flexible.
Original post by DCMed96

There's nothing wrong with that but when you definitely aren't going to firm or insurance a uni, there's no positive reason to go.

For example, I've got offers from Birmingham and Imperial so I most likely won't go to a St George's interview.

Original post by House MD

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems like more of a waste of everyone's time to go to an interview when you are definitely not going to put that university's offer as your firm or insurance.

They do control the number of offers. There is some flexibility but there is a limit to the number of offers a uni can give. I also think you're forgetting that not every uni structures its interview/offer process like Imperial. A lot of unis interview a huge batch and then send out decisions for the whole batch at the same time, based on how well each interviewee did compared to the rest of the batch.

If you're good enough for an offer, you'll get one. If you're not, it's harsh but Medicine is a competitive process for a reason.

That's circular logic. You're using the outcome to define an intangible input.

It's not because someone else 'took your place'. That's an excuse for a weakness in your application somewhere.

If you don't get into medical school, it's always because someone else got the spot you would have got.

It's a very simple concept and I'll explain it through the example of Birmingham:

Birmingham have a set quota for the number of offers they will send out (with some flexibility) but the top 63% or so interview scorers get offers.

Individuals who have no intention of accepting an offer may receive some of this limited number of offers.

Individuals who actually want to accept a Birmingham may not receive offers as they were pushed out of the top 63% scorers by people who wouldn't even firm/insurance them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you guys have imperial offers for medicine?? I attended my interview in December and have still not heard despite them telling me I would know within two weeks!!
(edited 9 years ago)
I got an offer (interview 13th!)
Just a heads up guys, if you're interviewing and find the student union too full/mad to actually calm down, just go upstairs to one of the many empty rooms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lydiadaniels96
My interview was on the 13th and I had a similar experience, some members of the panel were very critical of my personal statement and asked me what seemed like mostly irrelevant questions, it was more like an interrogation than an interview. But I tried my best so I'll just have to wait and see what happens:smile:

They were being really mean and didn't believe some things I said and it was just a really negative atmosphere. Yeah every single one of my questions apart from one was irrelevant but I tried my best and put on a smile. Good luck to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an offer! (Interview on the 13th)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cba waiting for my interview, anyone wanna swap with me? Ill do ur interview for u, trust ill b sikk, i am an extremely polite, enthusiastic and driven human being.

These are among some of my minor attributes.

Only contact me if ur skin tone is of complete contrast to mine and ur easily loved, like me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Offerofferofferofferrrrr
Reply 1313
Pre interview rejection... only got UCL left now, and I'll probably get rejected from there too. Gap year here I come!
Rejection woopwoop!
Saw iT coming though
Guys, i got an interview in december for the 4th march but they just sent me a rejection through ucas -.- did this happen to anyone else??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1316
Original post by sarahfrost97
Guys, i got an interview in december for the 4th march but they just sent me a rejection through ucas -.- did this happen to anyone else??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call the admissions office, sounds like a mistake :/ they can't give you an interview and then reject you...
Original post by liass
Call the admissions office, sounds like a mistake :/ they can't give you an interview and then reject you...

Thats what i'm going to do. I mean i knew i would get a rejection from my bmat but then i got the interview so i dont understand :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay still in limbo - no interview, no rejection... this is killing me...
Original post by jungykang
Okay still in limbo - no interview, no rejection... this is killing me...

Same here~

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending