The Student Room Group

Internships? How to go about doing one?

Hey guys,

I just wanted a little advice, from either people who have done one, or understand the process. At least from the British education system, I've never really been made aware of what these are or how to go about doing one.

I'm doing my Masters degree in Russian and Eastern European studies. It's kind of an amalgamation of political/social science, history etc. My long term goal is to go into lecturing, so I do realise I will have to do a PhD. I'm also aware that like work experience, apprenticeships will be better if they're geared towards what you're interested in, or at least in a similar role to what you would like to do in the future. If not, at least something you're broadly interested in/will help with dissertation.

When I finish in May(?), we're free to do whatever we like for the summer holidays (I do a 2 year course, the second year I will spend in Poland). So, because of being abroad for my second year, I would very much like to stay in the UK at least. I know there is a Russian embassy in London, however I wondered if anyone knew if apprenticeships are offered in universities for example? I mean, could I go somewhere with a Russian studies department and shadow a lecturer? I don't know if this would be classed as an apprenticeship as such.

I'm really not all clued up on it at all :frown: I guess replies do not have to specifically answer the details to my question, I'm just generally interested in how people went about doing apprenticeships and how they decided on what they wanted to do/whether it was helpful?

Original post by charmander12
Hey guys,

I just wanted a little advice, from either people who have done one, or understand the process. At least from the British education system, I've never really been made aware of what these are or how to go about doing one.

I'm doing my Masters degree in Russian and Eastern European studies. It's kind of an amalgamation of political/social science, history etc. My long term goal is to go into lecturing, so I do realise I will have to do a PhD. I'm also aware that like work experience, apprenticeships will be better if they're geared towards what you're interested in, or at least in a similar role to what you would like to do in the future. If not, at least something you're broadly interested in/will help with dissertation.

When I finish in May(?), we're free to do whatever we like for the summer holidays (I do a 2 year course, the second year I will spend in Poland). So, because of being abroad for my second year, I would very much like to stay in the UK at least. I know there is a Russian embassy in London, however I wondered if anyone knew if apprenticeships are offered in universities for example? I mean, could I go somewhere with a Russian studies department and shadow a lecturer? I don't know if this would be classed as an apprenticeship as such.

I'm really not all clued up on it at all :frown: I guess replies do not have to specifically answer the details to my question, I'm just generally interested in how people went about doing apprenticeships and how they decided on what they wanted to do/whether it was helpful?

Apprenticeships are an alternative to university in the UK and are training courses which last around 2 years. Graduates can't apply for them.
Original post by jelly1000
Apprenticeships are an alternative to university in the UK and are training courses which last around 2 years. Graduates can't apply for them.

Yeah, my head must have been in the clouds when I typed the title, I mean an internship.
Original post by charmander12
Yeah, my head must have been in the clouds when I typed the title, I mean an internship.

I've edited the title for you.

Quick Reply