Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tower hamlets
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by akj.latif
I'm an international student and will be attending university in London. Are there any areas that I should NOT be looking at in terms of accommodation? Ex. I'm from Toronto and there are some places where housing is cheap and relatively safe to stay but there are also places which are just as cheap and really not the best place to be at night. Any suggestions of where to find reasonable, relatively safe housing?

It's what you consider to be 'dangerous' to be honest. Crimes here vs the crimes in the US are completely different. Quite recently, London has been bombarded with cameras and such the more serious crimes only happen when there's a huge build up to it - i.e gangs and the like. I'd say London as a whole is a safer place than most think.

The places mentioned above are known for crimes but again its more gangs, and by gangs I mean little 12-16 year old kids running around in hoodies in numbers making a statement more than anything. Most of the times, if not all, young women aren't really touched etc. The most you'll get from these guys is a sexual comment perhaps, probably about the ass. :rolleyes:

You can find affordable and nice accommodation in the east side (closer to central). A lot of these areas are now going through a regeneration stage where the older estate buildings are being demolished and newer, more convenient flats are being built. A lot of people that work in the city centre have housing in these parts, and they're pretty decent.

Depends on what your budget is really?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by queen-bee
London isn't as bad as people make it out to be habibti,but just be careful at night.

Thanks so much :smile: And IDK if you knew I was Middle Eastern from my name or not but I appreciate the "habibti" there :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by SA-1
It's what you consider to be 'dangerous' to be honest. Crimes here vs the crimes in the US are completely different. Quite recently, London has been bombarded with cameras and such the more serious crimes only happen when there's a huge build up to it - i.e gangs and the like. I'd say London as a whole is a safer place than most think.

The places mentioned above are known for crimes but again its more gangs, and by gangs I mean little 12-16 year old kids running around in hoodies in numbers making a statement more than anything. Most of the times, if not all, young women aren't really touched etc. The most you'll get from these guys is a sexual comment perhaps, probably about the ass. :rolleyes:

You can find affordable and nice accommodation in the east side (closer to central). A lot of these areas are now going through a regeneration stage where the older estate buildings are being demolished and newer, more convenient flats are being build. A lot of people that work in the city centre have housing in these parts, and they're pretty decent.

Depends on what your budget is really?

I'm looking at the equivalent of $1000 to $1200 Canadian per month for a flat. I don't know how decent that is in London in terms of budget but it is where I'm from, usually shared with one other and having around $600 per person.

Also, it's a good thing I don't have an ass to be cat called for right. That's a perk I guess. :confused:
I'm looking at the equivalent of $1000 to $1200 Canadian per month for a flat. I don't know how decent that is in London in terms of budget but it is where I'm from, usually shared with one other and having around $600 per person.

Also, it's a good thing I don't have an ass to be cat called for right. That's a perk I guess. :confused:

London is expensive. Go check out some places via www.rightmove.co.uk
In that case, I'll learn after I'm mugged once or twice. Practice makes perfect, eh?

:laugh:
Reply 46
The people saying "London isnt dangerous as long as you are streetwise" are being very silly. The whole point of a safe city is that you dont _have_ to be constantly looking over your shoulder, making sure you dont wear anything that makes you look wealthy, and avoid walking home after midnight. London is a very high crime city by Western standards, and the crime rate is almost double that of the next most 'dangerous' UK cities like Manchester:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120016.stm

This also affects crime against students, which is much higher for London unviersities than non-London ones:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/crime-in-university-cities/

There is a lot of crime in London, which is partly linked to immigration/gang demographics which dont exist in other UK cities. That doesnt mean that you are automatically going to be a victim of crime in London, and obviously some people will live there for years without anything bad happening, but you are still more likely to encounter crime in London than in most other UK/European cities.

There's also the fact that London is very expensive so you are probably going to have to live in a n area that is not so nice. In most European cities you can just avoid the rough parts, but as a student in London you're probably going to be living in areas that were traditionally considered bad places to live.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
With the exception of some parts of Acton, most of Ealing is a wealthy middle class suburb with a large White and Indian population (both low crime groups). I would hope you feel safe there, otherwise you should probably avoid ever going east of Liverpool Street or north of Kings Cross...

What about the Upper-Middle class black folks?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm an international student and will be attending university in London. Are there any areas that I should NOT be looking at in terms of accommodation? Ex. I'm from Toronto and there are some places where housing is cheap and relatively safe to stay but there are also places which are just as cheap and really not the best place to be at night. Any suggestions of where to find reasonable, relatively safe housing?

I would say, central london is your best bet. :smile:
Original post by sdotd
tower hamlets

I wonder how people who go Queen Mary are finding it.
Original post by The Epicurean
That's true. There are a lot of nice areas around London such as Tottenham, Hackney, Peckham etc... :smile: The only real no-go area in London is probably Kensington I would say :ninja:

That's coz I live there,J! I hope you've been well in the hood :h:
Thanks so much :smile: And IDK if you knew I was Middle Eastern from my name or not but I appreciate the "habibti" there :smile:

Fellow part middle easterner here doll :wink:
Original post by Light_bulb
No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham

those are the only areas in london that are worth going too
just stay away from central chelsea and kensington- full of posh w*nkers with a giant stick up their arse
Original post by poohat
Did you just wake up from a coma you fell into during the year 1999, and miss the decade where HackneyBrixton became gentrified and are now two of the best places to live in Inner London? A similar thing is currently happening in Peckham.

A serious answer - nowhere in London is 'bad' in the sense that ghettos in American cities are bad (there are no literal no-go areas, London isnt Los Angeles), but you want to avoid places like Tottenham, most of Newham, and most of the Docklands. Its also probably worth pointing out that street crime in London tends to be have a strong racial component (see also) so that should give you some idea of which areas are likely to be bad, although again, some traditionally high crime areas like Hackney have become quite gentrified during the last decade, and are now among the trendiest places.

all of londons becoming gentrified- its just gonna be a city for the rich in a few years
Original post by The Epicurean
That's true. There are a lot of nice areas around London such as Tottenham, Hackney, Peckham etc... :smile: The only real no-go area in London is probably Kensington I would say :ninja:

amen
Downing Street.
Original post by sdotd
tower hamlets

Is it really bad? I've only been there in the morning to tutor and it seemed alright to me. I was considering some student housing there, is it a bad idea?
Most if not all of London is pretty safe. This is 2015, not 2001.
Original post by Light_bulb
No go areas:

Peckham - it's fine
Brixton - come on. As if you could ever afford it - but it's great
Hackney - it's fine
Lewisham - it's not as interesting to live as the above, but it is totally fine
Croydon - it is a bit of a dump and might be a bit dangerous on an evening out - drunk ppl - but it is OK
Kensal Rise - man. This is the most expensive place to live in London and v cool
Harlesden - possibly iffy in places but huge houses you can't afford to live in.

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham
(Argh!! Don't go to Wimbledon Putney or Fulham. too boring and staid.

Honestly. London is not as dangerous as you think it is. Go to Brixton. If you need cheaper, try Lewisham or Walthamstow or Norwood Junction. If you want, like Hipsters, Shoreditch and surrounding areas. If you have loads of money you could try Soho or Noho. Or try North London - Kentish Town a bit cheaper, Camden you will probably like (for tourists), Primrose Hill (for locals), Chalk Farm and perhaps Hampstead if you like a bit of classic old London with a wonderful heath. Or try Blackheath - very very nice if you are loaded or Greenwich - lots of internationals like that. Use your common sense and instinct and you will be fine in London!

Quick Reply

Latest