The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I've been rejected by 4 banks after interviews (some first round, others after final round interviews) and it's horribly depressing. I've also been rejected by a lot of them even without having an interview which I don't really understand since I'm from a target uni and my CV is somewhat decent.

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve interview skills? How do you guys prepare for your interviews? I feel quite lost because I've only recently become interested in this industry
Original post by SSpringer20
I was told by my Teacher that it is very weak and A&F is looked down upon. Also their must be some truth in it because why on earth will all these investment banking hopefuls try to do economics when a&f is less competitive.

From my experience of talking to HR reps the uni you attend is a lot more important than the subject, providing it is a respectable (most firms like a numerical) subject i.e. not Media Studies. As the uni you attend gets worse the degree choice becomes more important.

I'm not saying doing a relevant subject isn't helpful, so economics would be better than A&F as its more respectable; but it's not do economics or you're out. To give you an idea BNPP states that it ideally likes: Economics, Maths, Finance, Business Studies, IT, Sciences or Engineering.

Hope that helps, PM if you need anymore help.

P.S I'm Materials Science & Engineering at Imperial and that has worked for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sparklylights
Hi guys I've been rejected by 4 banks after interviews (some first round, others after final round interviews) and it's horribly depressing. I've also been rejected by a lot of them even without having an interview which I don't really understand since I'm from a target uni and my CV is somewhat decent.

Does anyone have any advice on how to improve interview skills? How do you guys prepare for your interviews? I feel quite lost because I've only recently become interested in this industry

A lot of research about the firm, division, culture, values etc.. and preparation on what questions are likely to come up and go about answering.

What's your profile?
Original post by welcometoib
you got your ubs offer after two days?!

I know I was surprised myself, they told me I would hear back in 2 weeks. It was an email though not a phone call
Reply 5684
What type of "technical" questions do they ask?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
A lot of research about the firm, division, culture, values etc.. and preparation on what questions are likely to come up and go about answering.

What's your profile?

I'm an international student, doing ppe at oxford. i have work experience in science research and in civil service but nothing related to finance.
Original post by Razina17
I know I was surprised myself, they told me I would hear back in 2 weeks. It was an email though not a phone call

wow. what division was this?
Original post by welcometoib
wow. what division was this?

It was Risk
Reply 5688

How do you do that the best way? I guess googling "Bankname+culture" isn't the way to go?
Original post by Razina17
It was Risk

ah ok, maybe they interview less than ibd. well done :smile:
Original post by Cidric
How do you do that the best way? I guess googling "Bankname+culture" isn't the way to go?

I've been to most of their A level programmes and have a few connections within the industry in each firm, so usually talk about that and consult them.
Reply 5691
I've been to most of their A level programmes and have a few connections within the industry in each firm, so usually talk about that and consult them.

Oh I see. I guess that, and company presentations, are the best ways to go. Unfortunately I haven't attended to anyone, lol, and I have my interview with Citi on friday. Not sure what to do. I guess I'm gonna Google a bit tomorrow. Not sure what to search for tho lol.
Has anyone had a Barclays Business Office Spring Week telephone interview? If yes, what was it like?
Also, does anyone know the dates for Barclays Business Office Spring Week and Credit Suisse Operations?

Thanks
Have BAML interviews generally been for markets? I completed the post numerical questions for Corporate and Investment Banking on the 15th October and still haven't heard anything. Should I be assuming this is a rejection?
Original post by Lily_07
Has anyone had a Barclays Business Office Spring Week telephone interview? If yes, what was it like?
Also, does anyone know the dates for Barclays Business Office Spring Week and Credit Suisse Operations?

Thanks

edit: Take no notice of this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stabilo1
Have BAML interviews generally been for markets? I completed the post numerical questions for Corporate and Investment Banking on the 15th October and still haven't heard anything. Should I be assuming this is a rejection?

Markets interview have been given & so have IBD.
Original post by Lily_07

Thanks

both credit suisse and barclays have their sws at two dates: 23-27 march and 13-17 april but i do not if both days are suitable for business office and operations
Markets interview have been given & so have IBD.

Realistically shouldn't expect much from that then... Cheers
Reply 5698
Original post by Cidric
Oh I see. I guess that, and company presentations, are the best ways to go. Unfortunately I haven't attended to anyone, lol, and I have my interview with Citi on friday. Not sure what to do. I guess I'm gonna Google a bit tomorrow. Not sure what to search for tho lol.

I did two rounds of interviews for Citi Quest - am happy to answer any q's if you wanna PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have tests for Credit Suisse, and they are with kenexa. Where can i do practice tests? It is my first time doing this and people i have asked haven't a clue of what to do hence me asking the wise people of TSR :smile:

http://www.psl.com/practice/ is the only site where i can find any practice tests, but it is only the one test, which is repeated.

I greatly appreciate any advice, as i say it is my first time doing this!

Latest

Trending

Trending