The Student Room Group

Advice please..if these subjects for A-level are okay..?

I've literally NO CLUE on what I want to do after A-levels. But I need to pick subjects for A-levels and I've been dreading this. The deadline for my 6-form is soon so I gotta decide. It's getting me really stressed. Anyways are these subjects okay?

English Lit
History
Chem
Economics

Currently studying - English Lit & Lang, Maths, Statistics, Triple science, French, History, RS, Graphics, IT , Citizenship.

I'm worried about taking Chemistry and English Lit.. I really dont think I will be capable. Actually scrap that I'm nervous that I wont be able to do any of them.

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry, they look fine! You can often switch your subjects in the first term, and to be honest you'll know quite fast if you can't deal with a subject, as a lot of sixth forms like to throw you in the deep end at the very start of term.
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
I've literally NO CLUE on what I want to do after A-levels. But I need to pick subjects for A-levels and I've been dreading this. The deadline for my 6-form is soon so I gotta decide. It's getting me really stressed. Anyways are these subjects okay?

English Lit
History
Chem
Economics

Currently studying - English Lit & Lang, Maths, Statistics, Triple science, French, History, RS, Graphics, IT , Citizenship.

I'm worried about taking Chemistry and English Lit.. I really dont think I will be capable. Actually scrap that I'm nervous that I wont be able to do any of them.

Hi
I took History and Chemistry, honestly haven't found chemistry as big a step up as everyone said, just a lot of definitions to remember but there's nothing overly complicated. History i personally found the writing of essays a lot different from GCSE and difficult to get the hang of however if youre taking lit you should be absolutely fine though. You've chosen a really good range that'll give you loads of opportunities.
Most colleges will also let you change your subjects after a month if they're not for you :cool:
It depends... Do you have an idea of what you want to do in university? Which of the subjects that you are currently doing are your strongest subjects?
Original post by loperdoper
Don't worry, they look fine! You can often switch your subjects in the first term, and to be honest you'll know quite fast if you can't deal with a subject, as a lot of sixth forms like to throw you in the deep end at the very start of term.

Really? Also is there any point in taking economics? Its not like I would be able to take it any further since you need maths. I'm lost :lol:

Oh wow I thought they would start off easy.
Original post by coransharp
Hi
I took History and Chemistry, honestly haven't found chemistry as big a step up as everyone said, just a lot of definitions to remember but there's nothing overly complicated. History i personally found the writing of essays a lot different from GCSE and difficult to get the hang of however if youre taking lit you should be absolutely fine though. You've chosen a really good range that'll give you loads of opportunities.
Most colleges will also let you change your subjects after a month if they're not for you :cool:

What is it about History that is challenging? The writing style? Hmm I'm more worried that I wont be able to analyse properly for English Lit.. That exam at the end. Nerve wreaking. I'm also struggling at the moment with Chemistry. Oh gosh.. I feel like I'm taking all the wrong subjects.

I'm aware that we are able to change which is great :biggrin:
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
It depends... Do you have an idea of what you want to do in university? Which of the subjects that you are currently doing are your strongest subjects?

I honestly have no idea. I might want to go into something IT related :3

I keep changing my mind tbh.

I can't quite say which is my strongest subject.. Cause I'm good with coursework but then horrible when it comes to the exams for that same subject.
I honestly have no idea. I might want to go into something IT related :3

I keep changing my mind tbh.

I can't quite say which is my strongest subject.. Cause I'm good with coursework but then horrible when it comes to the exams for that same subject.

I would say that your choices are pretty ok, you have kept your choices by picking diverse subjects.
The Russell Group website has a PDF called ' Informed Choices', you should check it out because it had much advice about choosing A levels.
Oxford Royale's website has plenty of articles that may help you out as well.

If the worst comes to the worst with costing a university degree, you still have the option of doing a foundation year. This allows you to learn the A level basics while in university and then carry on with the university level knowledge along with everyone else. This will mean an extra year in university but it puts you on the same foot as your fellow students.
Reply 8
I'm at AS level, and I'd say just pick the four subjects you most enjoy. If you dont know what you want to do, don't question what each subject would be useful for ; I take art, psychology, English and geography, and while english lit is a lot of reading and analysing, I dont mind because I enjoy it. And I was terrified of doing English lit coz everyone said it would be so much reading, so many essays. .... really its okay ifyou keep on top of tthings! Basically, if you dont enjoy a subject you wont be as motivated to get the grades - do whatever you enjoy!!
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
I would say that your choices are pretty ok, you have kept your choices by picking diverse subjects.
The Russell Group website has a PDF called ' Informed Choices', you should check it out because it had much advice about choosing A levels.
Oxford Royale's website has plenty of articles that may help you out as well.

If the worst comes to the worst with costing a university degree, you still have the option of doing a foundation year. This allows you to learn the A level basics while in university and then carry on with the university level knowledge along with everyone else. This will mean an extra year in university but it puts you on the same foot as your fellow students.

Thank you! I'll check them out now.

Ohhh I never knew that I thought it would have required me to repeat my A-levels. Would I be able to do a degree in a subject I haven't studied?
Original post by Ellen97
I'm at AS level, and I'd say just pick the four subjects you most enjoy. If you dont know what you want to do, don't question what each subject would be useful for ; I take art, psychology, English and geography, and while english lit is a lot of reading and analysing, I dont mind because I enjoy it. And I was terrified of doing English lit coz everyone said it would be so much reading, so many essays. .... really its okay ifyou keep on top of tthings! Basically, if you dont enjoy a subject you wont be as motivated to get the grades - do whatever you enjoy!!

Thank you for the advice. It's still kinda hard for me because I don't have a burning passion for anything :frown:

What is the jump like for English Lit from GCSE to A-level? I feel like my writing flair is horrible and I can't analyse.
Reply 11
Thank you for the advice. It's still kinda hard for me because I don't have a burning passion for anything :frown:

What is the jump like for English Lit from GCSE to A-level? I feel like my writing flair is horrible and I can't analyse.

I guess another way to look at it is to avoid subjects you feel you wouldn't like. With english lit, our teacher just had to stress to us that writing an a level standard essay is different - its needs to be more sophisticated with linked arguments- less of the 'firstly', 'secondly' , 'in conclusion'. To be honest, I took english lit and it just beat maths to the fourth option - I was adamant tghat I would drop it after AS, as im not even an avid reader! But now its a definite to continue. And analysing is alright really, it gets discussed in class so you get ideas, and you kinda get used to the analysing technique!
Original post by Ellen97
I guess another way to look at it is to avoid subjects you feel you wouldn't like. With english lit, our teacher just had to stress to us that writing an a level standard essay is different - its needs to be more sophisticated with linked arguments- less of the 'firstly', 'secondly' , 'in conclusion'. To be honest, I took english lit and it just beat maths to the fourth option - I was adamant tghat I would drop it after AS, as im not even an avid reader! But now its a definite to continue. And analysing is alright really, it gets discussed in class so you get ideas, and you kinda get used to the analysing technique!

Thank you! It seems alot less daunting now! I needed this :lol:

Yep I've ruled out so many subjects I can't do that I'm only left with a few choices.
Really? Also is there any point in taking economics? Its not like I would be able to take it any further since you need maths. I'm lost :lol:

Oh wow I thought they would start off easy.

A lot of universities would expect Maths from an Economics applicant, yes. It's up to you if you want to take it, if you find yourself gaining a big interest in it you can always switch another subject to Maths.
A lot of universities would expect Maths from an Economics applicant, yes. It's up to you if you want to take it, if you find yourself gaining a big interest in it you can always switch another subject to Maths.

I'm absolutely dreadful at Maths. I got a C+ for my maths mock and I don't think I'll be able to cope with it for A-level. I mean some students that get A/A* struggle with maths! If I was confident in doing it I would have, I really would have.
I'm absolutely dreadful at Maths. I got a C+ for my maths mock and I don't think I'll be able to cope with it for A-level. I mean some students that get A/A* struggle with maths! If I was confident in doing it I would have, I really would have.

You're still welcome to take Economics, and although it's not facilitating it's considered generally suitable by Cambridge, so it's still a strong subject to take. But without Maths, you will be unable to take it further at a high-ranking university.
You're still welcome to take Economics, and although it's not facilitating it's considered generally suitable by Cambridge, so it's still a strong subject to take. But without Maths, you will be unable to take it further at a high-ranking university.

Ahh okay I see thanks :smile:
I guess I'll only do that a-level for the interest.. Meh. Also just out of curiosity why is IT in the 4th section?? I was thinking about maybe changing one of my A-levels at the start if I dont like it. Erm so yeah why is IT quite low.. Sorry for the bad phrasing. I mean IT is quite essential in most work places.
Ahh okay I see thanks :smile:
I guess I'll only do that a-level for the interest.. Meh. Also just out of curiosity why is IT in the 4th section?? I was thinking about maybe changing one of my A-levels at the start if I dont like it. Erm so yeah why is IT quite low.. Sorry for the bad phrasing. I mean IT is quite essential in most work places.

My best guess is that it's because the list is for subjects more suitable for study, not the workplace. IT may teach you how to use Excel really well (or whatever), but it doesn't teach you good essay writing skills, or anything else that Cambridge clearly values as a good skill for being a good university student.
My best guess is that it's because the list is for subjects more suitable for study, not the workplace. IT may teach you how to use Excel really well (or whatever), but it doesn't teach you good essay writing skills, or anything else that Cambridge clearly values as a good skill for being a good university student.

Ahhh I see. I'm not even sure if I wanna go to Univerisity unless I find a career that involves having to go and get a particular degree. Hmm, I dont know if I should swap Economics for IT..
Ahhh I see. I'm not even sure if I wanna go to Univerisity unless I find a career that involves having to go and get a particular degree. Hmm, I dont know if I should swap Economics for IT..

You don't really need an IT qualification above GCSE for most things. If you want to go and do an IT degree (not Comp Sci, that needs Maths), then you'll need IT A-level, but generally it won't be seen as particularly useful or respected.

Quick Reply

Latest