The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
For £2000?!

No.

TSR is the best support for an Oxbridge application

Oh and I just read this on their site: "Our Success rate for Premier Clients is 53%, compared to the average 19-22%." And that success rate is for their Premier Service which probably costs a lot more than £2k...

I laugh at your 53%. TSR Top posters are at 60+% Success Rate :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll laugh at you when you don't get in again... Of course, it costs the money. But it's run by Oxbridge graduates, features Oxbridge tutors, has a lecture by a Senior Admissions Tutor, is essentially the whole thing fit into 2 days, and offers really incredible feedback. I'd say if you can afford the 2k, go for it. If not then obviously there are other ways to prepare.

I'm not going to argue with you. Application support is a subjective matter. You prefer TSR, other people prefer something else. I don't think there's much point in being rude about it. I'm just throwing in something to potentially look at. Maybe someone will find my comment useful and decide to participate.
Reply 41
Original post by foreignbloke
I'll laugh at you when you don't get in again... Of course, it costs the money.

Yeah sorry. Reading back it does come across badly... I wish you good luck in your application.

(I'm the parent of an offer holder)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I applied to Emmanuel for maths but got rejected. My qualifications was a predicted A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 D3 ( in maths, applied maths, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, business,English and French) in the Leaving Cert (under standard convention each is worth 75% of an A-Level) and getting on the IMO team (with an honorable mention at the event)
I was pretty confident about getting in and did no preparation at all - probably wasn't a good idea.
So I could go to Trinity Dublin or take a gap year and reapply. What would you recommend?
Alternatively I could do a year at Trinity (a four year Bachelor course) and apply to Oxford, though I'm unsure as to how they look upon those doing the same undergrad degree elsewhere applying there.
So what do people think?
Original post by jneill
Yeah sorry. Reading back it does come across badly... I wish you good luck in your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just curious, are you really a parent?:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by declineandfall1
Hi. I applied to Emmanuel for maths but got rejected. My qualifications was a predicted A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 D3 ( in maths, applied maths, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, business,English and French) in the Leaving Cert (under standard convention each is worth 75% of an A-Level) and getting on the IMO team (with an honorable mention at the event)
I was pretty confident about getting in and did no preparation at all - probably wasn't a good idea.
So I could go to Trinity Dublin or take a gap year and reapply. What would you recommend?
Alternatively I could do a year at Trinity (a four year Bachelor course) and apply to Oxford, though I'm unsure as to how they look upon those doing the same undergrad degree elsewhere applying there.
So what do people think?

Personally think Trinity is a great university. Their physics department seemed genuinely enthusiastic about teaching and wanted people who really loved physics, moreso than nearly any university I spoke to representatives from (not sure about Maths but I don't see why it'd be different).I would have no problem going there if I didn't feel the Republic (and NI) can be a bit parochial.

Not sure about Oxford but I'm pretty sure Cambridge says they don't like it/don't normally consider applicants from another undergraduate course unless their academic tutor agrees and supplies them with reasons as to why it's a good idea.

Also interesting point about the Leaving Cert. The general feeling in the North is not that it is 75% of an A Level and I've never heard that before ;P
Even on CAO's point system (which is biased against Northern students, which is why Trinity are doing this), an A* at A Level is 150 points and an A1 at Leaving Cert is 100 pts, so 66%.

Of course there will always be arguments but I would say the two systems likely average out about the same difficulty overall with the Leaving Cert giving somewhat more breadth and the A Levels giving somewhat more depth.

Sorry if it feels like I'm having a go at you - I'm, er, not. :tongue:
I was at Trinity's open day this year and didn't really like the "takes 15 minutes to walk from one side of the campus to the other" feel. In shirt I thought it was a bit too big.
As for your 66%, yes you were right there. Apologies for the mistake.
Reply 46
Original post by Rovensie
I'm just curious, are you really a parent?:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries. I'm in, but thanks anyway.
Reply 48
Original post by Kolasinac138
?

?

Soz quoted wrong person
Original post by Student437
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have an offer from UCL for Law but my parents want me to re-apply for Cam or Oxford next year. I'm very scared because I don't know if I can get in even if I re-apply. Also, if I reject UCL now, I'm pretty sure they won't take me back next year. Should I listen to my parents and take the risk?

Congratulations on your Law offer! I think the main questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do you like Cambridge enough to risk it all and have another go?

Do you like UCL enough to be happy going there?

As you're reapplying for the same course, the stakes are even higher, and UCL is 4th in the country for law, and 12th in the world, which is amazing. Also, there's nothing stopping you from conducting your Masters at Cambridge if you so wish. It's a really difficult situation to be in, I hope I have helped in some way.
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Congratulations on your Law offer! I think the main questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do you like Cambridge enough to risk it all and have another go?

Do you like UCL enough to be happy going there?

As you're reapplying for the same course, the stakes are even higher, and UCL is 4th in the country for law, and 12th in the world, which is amazing. Also, there's nothing stopping you from conducting your Masters at Cambridge if you so wish. It's a really difficult situation to be in, I hope I have helped in some way.

You're right! Thanks for the advice. I'll think carefully about it over the next few months

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im considering reapplying in 2016 for English. I applied to Downing this year. I was expecting a rejection because I had low UMS, but I was placed into the Winter Pool which has really really thrown me off. I was rejected after not being made an offer in the pool, but, I'm seriously considering reapplying because of the fact they felt I was suited to Cambridge because they pooled me. The past week has been emotional, but Im now looking forward to trying to get the best grades possible and see what position I'm in on results day
I think the best thing would be to work to get the highest A2 grades humanly possible (I'm talking A*A*A* here) whilst looking into gap year options. Maybe a placement at a magazine or a school? I have few ideas when it comes to relevant placements for an English degree, so perhaps someone else on the thread can be of use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
So what do people think?

are you the Irish guy who laughed when I said I was from south london and said 'i had to fly here' or something?! (in the Hall at breakfast before the interviews - I applied for HSPS and had my interview on the 8th december :smile:)
I know that Emmanuel definitely give feedback on your application but you have to get your school to ask them for it - maybe ask them what they think about reapplying? because I think you would have to prove you've been doing maths in your year out etc

I'm in the same position though - i applied for HSPS with 4 A's at AS level and one A at A2 - 92% UMS average for my top 3 AS's and I thought the interviews went well so quite disappointed. (I got pooled by Emmanuel and then rejected)

Does anyone know when we would have to pull out of UCAS in order to reapply? i.e. could I choose a firm and an insurance and then after results day in August, decline them? Or is that too late?
And also anyone who applied for HSPS - did you write your personal statement on all four of the subjects you would choose in your first year - and if so, did it matter if you submitted a general HSPS statement to other unis when applying for, say, only Politics or only Sociology? Or would other unis turn their nose up at the fact that you're clearly applying for HSPS at Cambridge?
Original post by M8808
are you the Irish guy who laughed when I said I was from south london and said 'i had to fly here' or something?! (in the Hall at breakfast before the interviews - I applied for HSPS and had my interview on the 8th december :smile:)
I know that Emmanuel definitely give feedback on your application but you have to get your school to ask them for it - maybe ask them what they think about reapplying? because I think you would have to prove you've been doing maths in your year out etc

I'm in the same position though - i applied for HSPS with 4 A's at AS level and one A at A2 - 92% UMS average for my top 3 AS's and I thought the interviews went well so quite disappointed. (I got pooled by Emmanuel and then rejected)

Does anyone know when we would have to pull out of UCAS in order to reapply? i.e. could I choose a firm and an insurance and then after results day in August, decline them? Or is that too late?
And also anyone who applied for HSPS - did you write your personal statement on all four of the subjects you would choose in your first year - and if so, did it matter if you submitted a general HSPS statement to other unis when applying for, say, only Politics or only Sociology? Or would other unis turn their nose up at the fact that you're clearly applying for HSPS at Cambridge?

Most people applying for HSPS have one or two subjects they want to focus on in HSPS as a whole, so they focus their personal statement on those particular subjects without having other unis twig on to them making a Cambridge application (though applying before 15th October makes it pretty clear to unis anyway).
Still haven't requested feedback yet... Going to do it tomorrow! 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
More people considering reapplying for medicine?
If so, which college? :smile:
Any physical natsci reapplicants? I dont know how they feel about reapplicants for natsci
What are you guys going to do in your gaps years? I want to reapply to Maths but do not know how I can strengthen my application over my gap year?

Also how are you guys going to explain your gap year? Will it look bad saying telling the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what do people think?

Wait, so you got onto the Imo team and they still rejected you? That's harsh. Best thing to do is forget them and apply to Oxford during your gap year- I'm sure most colleges would be more than happy to take someone from the Imo team.Although if the above is true, I'd be thinking that the maths wasn't the problem with ur application and it was something else.

Also, it would be a good idea to phone actual admissions tutors and ask them if they took a dim view towards gap years or not...some unfortunately do.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending