The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by HAnwar
How can you not hate someone who committed murder or rape?
Isn't this a central theme of all the monotheisms?
The concept of sin, redemption and forgiveness. He who truly repents is forgiven his sins, and if god can forgive them, who is a mere human to deny them forgiveness?
(edited 9 years ago)
In my honest opinion - if one has committed murder it may have been through different reasons. I will still forgive them
VM/PM me anyone regarding this matter
[video="youtube;HLop3aqNLd0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLop3aqNLd0[/video]
Original post by HAnwar
How can you not hate someone who committed murder or rape?

I think your conflating two different things.

What you personally feel - and what Islam teaches you to do.

If someone is commiting a sin - you shouldnt hate them. Rather you should give them naseeha and offer them help. And make dua for them.

You shouldnt curse them, hate them etc

This is the general rule.

However one my Ustadh's did say that there are exceptions to this general rule.

Allah Knows Best if those fall under the exception.

I posted the video to more highlight on general daily things. Just because you see someone doing a sin doesn't mean you should hate them, speak bad about them etc

Hate and Love - should be only for the sake of Allah. So we hate those things that are done in the displeasure of Allah.

Mufti Menk Says:

"We may hate for the sake of Allah, Those who have absolutely no goodness in then and they have damaged the deen they have caused lots of damage to those who follow the deen"
Original post by Ankabout
I've been good. :biggrin: Inshallah I'm coming to UK for my graduation ceremony. Lol why?? You can post occasionally and still benefit from I-Soc.

Aw inshallah, enjoy yourself :smile:.

Yeah I can but I'm busy atm so I don't have much time. But I will whenever I'm free inshallah :biggrin:
Original post by beautifulxxx
OMG I've missed u man. Thought u left for evs.
Walaikum Salam WaRahmatullah. How r u???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've missed you too!! How's Saudi?

Im fine sis, how are you?
Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases.
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
I think your conflating two different things.

What you personally feel - and what Islam teaches you to do.

If someone is commiting a sin - you shouldnt hate them. Rather you should give them naseeha and offer them help. And make dua for them.

You shouldnt curse them, hate them etc

This is the general rule.

However one my Ustadh's did say that there are exceptions to this general rule.

Allah Knows Best if those fall under the exception.

I posted the video to more highlight on general daily things. Just because you see someone doing a sin doesn't mean you should hate them, speak bad about them etc

Hate and Love - should be only for the sake of Allah. So we hate those things that are done in the displeasure of Allah.

Mufti Menk Says:

"We may hate for the sake of Allah, Those who have absolutely no goodness in then and they have damaged the deen they have caused lots of damage to those who follow the deen"

Ok I understand now. Makes sense. JZK :yy:
Original post by QE2
Isn't this a central theme of all the monotheisms?
The concept of sin, redemption and forgiveness. He who truly repents is forgiven his sins, and if god can forgive them, who is a mere human to deny them forgiveness?

I agree with what TMG said.
Forgiveness is the better option.
It takes a special person to forgive.
(edited 9 years ago)
“When you see a female dressed in a manner that is unacceptable islamically, do not for a moment think that she is lower than you spiritually. If you do that, you are lower than her. Believe me, that is the teaching of your religion. She might have a link with her creator that you do not know about. She might have a heart that is tons better than yours. She might have one weakness that is outward, and you have 50 weaknesses that are hidden.”
- Mufti Ismail Menk
I agree with qe2 (sort of, (not that much(but a little bit)))
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
I agree with qe2 (sort of, (not that much(but a little bit)))

Lol we understand your point :biggrin:
Reply 1692
Original post by HAnwar
No one is forcing you to forgive.
Like I said, takes a special person to forgive.
This is getting dangerously close to debating, so I will bid my farewells.
Just to add, my point was whether anyone else should have the right to forgive someone for something that did not affect them, especially if I can't? And especially if they are granted reward on the basis of that forgiveness.
Original post by QE2
If I had a child who was raped, tortured and murdered, I would not, could not, forgive the perpetrator. And it is certainly not the business of anyone else to forgive them on the basis of something completely unrelated, whoever they are. How dare they forgive them without so much as consulting the victims? How do you think me and more importantly, my child would feel to have to share eternity with the person that did it? Knowing that that monster was enjoying paradise in the same way as his victims.
No, sorry. Makes no sense to me.

I think you don't really understand the concept of forgiveness in Islam. Feel free to watch this lecture regarding forgiveness and Retaliation.

[video="youtube;X1Q1ctCT5As"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Q1ctCT5As[/video]

If such an event happened it is your right to not forgive the person.

And Reminder : No Debating
Reward For Every Muslim! - Easy Deeds To Earn!

[video="youtube;rQjQtdiQ41Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQjQtdiQ41Y[/video]

To Pray for All Muslims - The Etiquette and Manner of Du'a

Part of the completeness of one's imaan is that a person loves for his brother what he loves for himself. Therefore, just as he desires that he be guided to the truth, and be forgiven for his sins, so too should he desire the same for his fellow Muslims.

The Prophet (ﷺ) is commanded in the Qur'an to:

47:19
to top

Muhsin Khan
So know (O Muhammad SAW) that La ilaha ill-Allah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allah), and ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women. And Allah knows well your moving about, and your place of rest (in your homes).

Likewise, the Prophet Nuh prayed to Allah:

71:28
to top

Sahih International
My Lord, forgive me and my parents and whoever enters my house a believer and the believing men and believing women. And do not increase the wrongdoers except in destruction."

And the Prophet (ﷺ) said:"Whoever seeks forgiveness for the believing men and women, then a good deed will be written for him for every single believing man and women (that he prayed for)". [1]

So it is encouraged for the Muslim to remember all of his brothers and sisters when he is making a du'a, and to pray for the entire Muslim ummah. He should also pray against the enemies of Islam, against tyrants and non-Muslim rulers that fight and torture the Muslims. All of this is a sign of the person's own imaan, and is contained within the etiquette of du'a.

Of particular importance is that a person prays for his own parents (if they are alive, or if they died as Muslims). Allah specifically instructs the believers in this respect:

17:24
to top

Sahih International
And lower to them the wing of humility out of mercy and say, "My Lord, have mercy upon them as they brought me up [when I was] small."

The du'a of Nuh has already been given above, in which he prayed for his parents, as did Ibrahim:

14:41
to top

Sahih International
Our Lord, forgive me and my parents and the believers the Day the account is established."

The above is taken and based on the works Du'a: The Weapon of the Believer and The Book Of Manners.

Return to Menu for more Etiquettes and Manners of Du'a

References:
[1] Reported in at-Tabarani in his al-Kabir, and al-Haythami said in Majma' al-Zawa'id: "Its isnaad (chain of transmission) is good." Al-Albani said Hasan in Saheeh al-Jami'.
Reply 1695
I admit I haven't followed the whole conversation but I think it's important to remember that Islam allows justice. It is something which is quite different from Christianity which only insists on forgiveness (from my knowledge). But of course forgiveness is extremely hard so Allah has given us the option of wanting justice and if someone opts for that it's unfair to look down at them and their imaan because it is something perfectly acceptable. I'm reminded of how the Prophet (saw) found it hard to look at the person who butchered Hamza (ra) even though she became Muslim and the Prophet (saw) DID forgive her. The prophet (Saw) was so hurt by what was done to his uncle and that's why he had that reaction...and he was the most perfect human...but still human! We're no where near perfect...
Original post by davidx2
x

If you actually watch the debate - a few minutes later Hamza apologised for his mistake:

http://youtu.be/Us505g01Shc?t=1h10m23s

The video quoted was taken over 6/7 years ago. Hamza has released various videos and articles clarifying his position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZyE7Z6pM4

A number of blogs and UK newspapers have written that Hamza Andreas Tzortzis has extremist inclinations due to his views on freedom of speech. The oft repeated quote they use is “we as Muslims reject the idea of freedom of speech, and even the idea of freedom”. In this light a point of clarification is required.

The quote was taken from a YouTube video that was recorded almost 5 years ago. Even though the quote was taken out of context, the opinions of Hamza have changed since then. Hamza upholds freedom of expression and asserts that to reject this liberty is a self-defeating position. However, since he is a student of Islamic thought and philosophy he raises questions on the limits of expression including: since all nations have some restrictions limiting expression, where do we draw the line? What framework of law and values to we use to establish the limits to expression?

http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/clarifications-and-responses/clarifying-my-views-on-freedom-of-speech/

(edited 9 years ago)
Yo famalams

Whats poppin? :tongue: havent been on here in agesss
Original post by Secretnerd123
Yo famalams

Whats poppin? :tongue: havent been on here in agesss

AsalamuAlaikum :smile:
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
AsalamuAlaikum :smile:

Wa alaykum salam akhi. How have you been? And hows uni? Are u 2nd or 3rd year

Latest

Trending