The Student Room Group

Salters chemistry

(edited 9 years ago)
Hello,

I did my Chemistry A-level 4 years ago, and also did the Salters course.
I revised using revision guides and it worked well for me.
Yes, do all past papers available.

I recommend this revision guide. There is also an equivalent AS revision guide also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Chemistry-Salters-OCR-Level/dp/0435631551
Reply 2
Original post by WarriorLlama
Hello,

I did my Chemistry A-level 4 years ago, and also did the Salters course.
I revised using revision guides and it worked well for me.
Yes, do all past papers available.

I recommend this revision guide. There is also an equivalent AS revision guide also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Chemistry-Salters-OCR-Level/dp/0435631551

Thanks for that. I used this at AS and it was very good and concise but I didn't do too well because I didn't do many past papers. I have the A2 version and I am using it alongside chemical ideas and aim to do all past papers. Also is F334 harder than F335 and do a lot of things repeat in salters past papers.
Original post by Silentscar97
Also is F334 harder than F335 and do a lot of things repeat in salters past papers.

I can't really remember :frown: I took my exams too long ago haha! Plus, exams would have changed since I took them. But past papers should always be helpful. Do as many past papers as you can (if not all of them!)
And once you've completed all past papers, make sure you read over the answers again to make sure you remember :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for that. I used this at AS and it was very good and concise but I didn't do too well because I didn't do many past papers. I have the A2 version and I am using it alongside chemical ideas and aim to do all past papers. Also is F334 harder than F335 and do a lot of things repeat in salters past papers.

I did the exams last year but am resitting because i did horrendous! I used CGP, the textbook and all my other notes as well as doing every past paper but I just didn't leave myself enough time to understand everything. Make sure you understand it all before doing the past papers or it will just be a waste.
I thought F335 was a much harder exam but almost everyone I know did better in it because the boundaries are lower. There does seem to be a lot of repetition with the questions but some of them they put in the weirdest of contexts so it really does catch you out, even if you know what you're talking about.
My best advice advice to you would be to start now by going over everything you've done and do questions from the textbook and end of unit tests then do the past papers in the final month before the exam!
One of my teachers told me that we should treat the Salters textbook as our revision guide and should know it all front to cover; that way there is nothing that the examiners can trip us up on (other than those awful application questions!).
Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by geogino
I did the exams last year but am resitting because i did horrendous! I used CGP, the textbook and all my other notes as well as doing every past paper but I just didn't leave myself enough time to understand everything. Make sure you understand it all before doing the past papers or it will just be a waste.
I thought F335 was a much harder exam but almost everyone I know did better in it because the boundaries are lower. There does seem to be a lot of repetition with the questions but some of them they put in the weirdest of contexts so it really does catch you out, even if you know what you're talking about.
My best advice advice to you would be to start now by going over everything you've done and do questions from the textbook and end of unit tests then do the past papers in the final month before the exam!
One of my teachers told me that we should treat the Salters textbook as our revision guide and should know it all front to cover; that way there is nothing that the examiners can trip us up on (other than those awful application questions!).
Good luck!

Thanks for that. Chemical ideas is a good book if you know how to use it properly.
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

If I purely revise from CGP and do every single past paper, is it enough for me to get a B/A grade. Many people say to use CGP and textbook together but how do you do that?

I have no experience with the CGP guide, but I managed to get an A* in chemistry by using Chemical Ideas, Chemical Storylines and the Specification. In terms of exam relevance, you don't actually have to know about 90% of Chemical Storylines, so use the Specification to find out what you do and don't need to know. From then it's just about learning it and doing past papers.
Reply 7
Hi Guys :smile: I've got my f334 mock on Monday, and I was wondering do amorphous or crystalline polymers have a higher Tg and why?

Quick Reply

Latest