The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomfailinghelp
Should I join the Christ's offer holders Facebook page?

I've joined the St. John's one. I dont see any harm in doing so. if you dont like it then you can always remove yourself from it afterwards :smile:
Should I join the Christ's offer holders Facebook page?

If you want
Original post by jneill
Your ok to leave confirming your choices anytime up to the UCAS deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TVIO
They won't change it don't worry!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you want

A compelling argument :wink:

Original post by subject1
I've joined the St. John's one. I dont see any harm in doing so. if you dont like it then you can always remove yourself from it afterwards :smile:

May do the. I guess :smile: only 20 people in it ATM though! Not sure what I feel about people seeing me on the Internet first
(edited 9 years ago)
A compelling argument :wink:

May do the. I guess :smile: only 20 people in it ATM though! Not sure what I feel about people seeing me on the Internet first

Don't worry about it. If they aren't your friends on fb then they can't really see a lot. In fact you can use the fb "view as" function to see how the public sees you.
Reply 866
F*ck's sake got blocked from the Facebook group :laugh:

Help me get back in guys :frown:
Original post by Elcor
F*ck's sake got blocked from the Facebook group :laugh:

Help me get back in guys :frown:

Yeah I noticed that haha. How'd you get blocked? :lol:
Reply 868
Original post by cerlohee
Yeah I noticed that haha. How'd you get blocked? :lol:

Not sure of the exact reason but it was probably because I made fun of some annoying rich kids who were trolling the group
Any Fitz offer holders know if they want us to send in AS certificates, or will the print-out of UMS module marks be all right? (I don't actually have any AS certificates...) I was a bit confused by what they wanted.
Reply 870
Original post by Elcor
Not sure of the exact reason but it was probably because I made fun of some annoying rich kids who were trolling the group

Wait… who are you on the pembroke fb group?
Original post by drowninginsound
Any Fitz offer holders know if they want us to send in AS certificates, or will the print-out of UMS module marks be all right? (I don't actually have any AS certificates...) I was a bit confused by what they wanted.

i think they want certificates as my school sent ums ones around interview tine in november.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 872
Original post by Jasey
Wait… who are you on the pembroke fb group?

Your guess is probably right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 873
Are you one of the St John's school guys?

Edit: Just remembered you're that Peterhouse Law person, my bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
i think they want certificates as my school sent ums ones around interview tine in november.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks. I'll find out where to get mine from...
Original post by drowninginsound
Okay, thanks. I'll find out where to get mine from...

your exams office should have them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
your exams office should have them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'll go find them tomorrow. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Goods
Cambridge has it's own academic micro-climate. Being able and teachable by Cambridge standards is not being able and teachable by exam standards.

Perhaps it is not fair in the same way lots of equally capable candidates are turned down on the basis of 90 minutes of contact time isn't fair, but you've got the better end of the stick and it is certainly a justifiable viewpoint.

I was pooled to Robinson from Kings following one horrendous interview and one reasonable interview. I was re-interviewed and got a AAAA offer for NatSci. I was delighted with it but had someone offered me a 4A* offer to kings instead id have taken it gladly.

Your complaint is incredibly self indulgent, there are lots of equally gifted people who applied who haven't got an offer through circumstance who in the end (like you) will probably exceed your offer requirements.

Dude, as your case would suggest- it's not even mostly about being teachable, it's about being lucky. You were lucky you had a good interview with Robinson, you'd be even luckier if you had a good interview with Kings. Different interviews involve different questions, different settings (sometimes you are ore alert) and different people. For one group, you may be a dead-cert, for the other the interviewers may not like your style of thinking.

Also, anyone is teachable; anyone can have a frigging conversation about their studies with an academic. The interviews help pick out the candidates the interviewers like,(queue engaging, interesting, seemingly thoughtful) not the most "teachable ones". "Teachability" as a concept which you espouse is a joke since 90% of what you learn will be by studying from a text-book anyway.

The conversations with tutors about your subject are nice but pretty inessential, even at Oxford ir Cambridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 878
Original post by Blutooth
queue engaging, interesting, seemingly thoughtful.

surely those are qualities that would make a supervisior want to teach you? i.e. make you more teachable.

Original post by Blutooth
"Teachability" as a concept which you espouse is a joke since 90% of what you learn will be by studying from a text-book anyway.

I didn't look at a text book in the whole of my first term, maybe the odd online resource to clarify particular points but 90% is a huge exaggeration on how much of the subject you need to research beyond the lectures and supervisions (for my subject at this stage that is).
Original post by Goods
surely those are qualities that would make a supervisior want to teach you? i.e. make you more teachable.

I didn't look at a text book in the whole of my first term, maybe the odd online resource to clarify particular points but 90% is a huge exaggeration on how much of the subject you need to research beyond the lectures and supervisions (for my subject at this stage that is).

Perhaps it varies from subject to subject. Most of the lectures for my course are online and in 2nd year I barely went to lectures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending