The Student Room Group

Client Services or Compliance Analyst?

I have recently been offered 2 positions: the 1st is as a Compliance Analyst (middle office I believe) with a large development bank, and the 2nd is as a Client Services Executive with a well known investment management company. Which one is best to go for in terms of career progression if my aim is to eventually be in a front office type role in a few years? I know a move from middle to front office can be done, but what office does Client Services even fall under? and is it even possible to work your way up from there? COMPLIANCE ROLE: I was the only one hired; CLIENT SERVCES: they are hiring between 10-20 people
Client Services at a buyside firm is usually a back office role responsible for the administration of distributors' accounts (the term used is 'intermediaries' - generally banks and wealth management companies). You will likely be supporting the sales offices, so potentially a route in that direction. Not much use for getting into investment management though, the Compliance role would be better for that, although you would be better taking a more tried and tested path.
Reply 2
Original post by Delirium.
Client Services at a buyside firm is usually a back office role responsible for the administration of distributors' accounts (the term used is 'intermediaries' - generally banks and wealth management companies). You will likely be supporting the sales offices, so potentially a route in that direction. Not much use for getting into investment management though, the Compliance role would be better for that, although you would be better taking a more tried and tested path.

Thanks for your reply Delirium. Just to clarify, the Client services role is for an Investment management company. The compliance role is for a development bank which also has an investment management department. Do you think a compliance role is better path then?
Original post by myronator
Thanks for your reply Delirium. Just to clarify, the Client services role is for an Investment management company. The compliance role is for a development bank which also has an investment management department. Do you think a compliance role is better path then?

It depends on which area of Front Office you are aiming for?

i.e. Client Services is more directional towards fund sales but does not provide you with any knowledge of investment management (as in the business area, not the industry). Compliance at a bank arguably provides better insight into trading, so if that's your goal then its the better option.

But as everyone will tell you, if you want to get into front office the best way is to go for it as early as possible. Back office transitions to front office are rare, as you will be permanently labelled as back office if you spend too long doing it.

Btw I've done a stint in Client Services for a hedge fund, so can give insight into that. But I've never done compliance work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending