The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

250K, duh.

Original post by Messiah Complex
But of course you'd donate it all to food banks, right?

As long as he pays tax.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Not the investment. Some of the profits sure. All ethical businesses do some form of charity.

You've changed your tune :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Don't feel sorry. They're going to the best unis in the world and I'm sure they chose to do it.
I smell Oxbridge reject biterness?
Some people don't just study for the money. Some people are genuinely passionate about attending the very tops institutions and learning about the field they love.

I know that! I have a first from Oxbridge, but I just didn't want offer holders to think this thread has any meaning.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Adipoptosis
I know that! I have a first from Cambridge, but I just didn't want offer holders to think this thread has any meaning.

In that case, I apologise. I have come across as rude.
Original post by Noble.
Unless you already own a house outright, this makes less sense than just buying a property for yourself.

With £250k you could buy two properties in Glasgow or Manchester. One for yourself and one to let to student housesharers. Make £25k p/y easy and remove costs of renting.
Original post by Messiah Complex
You've changed your tune :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So where is this 250k? I plan to sell you lots of legitimate stocks ^^^ SIGH.
250k. I already have a 2.1 from Oxbridge, and I think the 250k would be more advantageous to my life than "upgrading" my degree to a 1st.
I chose money, because the degree would mean sod all if I didn't understand the subject or had no experience purely because I was just given a piece of paper. Sure I might get a job with it, but I'd likely be fired for not knowing what to do.
Original post by SophieSmall
I chose money, because the degree would mean sod all if I didn't understand the subject or had no experience purely because I was just given a piece of paper. Sure I might get a job with it, but I'd likely be fired for not knowing what to do.

Actually you'll be surprised to learn that most people can sit behind a desk in London wearing an expensive suit and mess around on excel for 18 hours per day!
Original post by Adipoptosis
Actually you'll be surprised to learn that most people can sit behind a desk in London wearing an expensive suit and mess around on excel for 18 hours per day!

Guess it completely depends on what Oxbridge degree you were given, but then I'd hate to sit on my arse all day staring at excel would drive me insane. Would 100% prefer a lower paid job and be happy in it.
The money. My dad got a scholarship for oxford and is a primary example showing that no matter how hard you work and what university you go to it definitely doesn't guarantee a high paying job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Seemingly its stopped you being able to correctly produce an ellipses though. Three fullstops, no more or less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
With £250k you could buy two properties in Glasgow or Manchester. One for yourself and one to let to student housesharers. Make £25k p/y easy and remove costs of renting.

I dunno about glasgow but in Manchester you'd only just about get a decent two bed for 125k. Wouldnt make you lpads renting to students. I suppose you could always go bigger and get a mortgage though.
I'd take the degree. It's a lot more meaningful and respected than having £250k.

The degree will last forever and people will recognise your hard work and achievements, the money won't last forever. You can always just get a job and lead up to that salary or make it within 5 years time depending on the job you have (your employability would probably be high considering you have a degree from Oxford/Cambridge).
I already have a first from a very good uni, so i'd take the money and invest it. I wouldn't want to be given a degree I didn't work for anyway, then there's no pride in having it. But money is money.
Original post by socially inept
I'd take the degree. It's a lot more meaningful and respected than having £250k.

The degree will last forever and people will recognise your hard work and achievements, the money won't last forever. You can always just get a job and lead up to that salary or make it within 5 years time depending on the job you have (your employability would probably be high considering you have a degree from Oxford/Cambridge).

But you didn't work for it or achieve anything, you were just given a piece of paper.

People seems rather keen on answering different questions to the one OP asked.
Original post by Joinedup
But you didn't work for it or achieve anything, you were just given a piece of paper.

I bet there's a massive age gap with responses too. All the younger people are really naive and thing a peice of paper from Oxbridge means you can easily work your way up to a 250k salary XD

All the older people are coming to terms with the reality that they won't be able to afford a house til their 40s and are like **** it! I want a house!!
I'd just take the money and continue on my current university course.
Getting a degree is worth nothing if you can't live up to it - it would just be a piece of paper. Persay you're recruited and work for ... I don't know, some huge amazing super science multinational great rainbow company of the world with billions of euros of funding or whatever. When they introduce you to a piece of equipment and you don't know how to operate it, or, you can never arrive at a solution for a problem or a innovation and overall you make no output because it is far too complicated for you ... then hey, you'll probably be fired eventually. This will just kind'a repeat itself until you get a reputation. Then, no more jobs.
It's just a piece of paper to certify that you know something, which if you do not know said stuff, is worth null.

That's my take on it, atleast. So, yay, money!
Original post by Joinedup

Oh, my bad. I was under the impression that you would go to one of those universities and at the end of your degree, have a first.

I'm changing my mind, I'll take the money and invest most of it and not go to university at all. My yacht will make me happy instead.
Original post by jam277
Honestly think International students going to Oxbridge are getting ripped off to a major scale.

Just go to your best university in your country instead or attempt to become a UK citizen first before going to oxbridge.

The funny thing is i am a UK citizen and i have been one since i was born but im still considered international because i lived abroad

Latest