The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

No-go areas in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ragandbone
I think I would agree - Tottenham and Seven Sisters, don't bother with - not much fun to live there - too far out, nowhere much to go to. maybe try Holloway? Still not trendy as such but very central, easy to get to, close to places like Camden, Islington, in zone two - should be a lot of accom suitable for you there

Holloway is expensive these days, full of professionals. Personally I dont think Seven Sisters is any rougher than Holloway but because its got a bad rep, it's quite a bit cheaper and only a short bus ride away.

Stroud Green is a little gem apparently in terms of underpriced flats, and its really not that rough.

Avoid Tottenham though yeah, arguably the roughest and most violent part of London.
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by The Assassin
Not sure why hackney still has such a bad rep really. It's become pretty up-market these days. Not perfect by any means no, but still. Lol at kensal rise being there as well.

West London you'll be fine. Although it's pretty expensive compared to north/south/east. Tend to avoid most in east london thats more east than bethnal green.

--

Which uni will you be going to, OP?

West London should be avoided by students imo purely because of the ridiculous rents. It's not even that great a place to live as a student in terms of nightlife, you're still going to end up getting the tube/bus into central/East London when you go out, which is why very few students actually live West. And I dont think you'd feel any safer walking through say Shepherds Bush at night than say Holloway anyway so its really a strange decision for any student to go West.

yeah Kensal Green is just boring, like most of West London. Nothing there but a cemetery and row after row of terraced housing. Not exactly posh but not rough either.

Hackney is 50/50 these days, there are still plenty of estates about that you wouldnt want to be hanging about late at night. The North Eastern bits especially although around Hackney Wick etc is all fine. Full of hipsters obviously. Still, it is rougher than say Camden Town tbh.

Agree on going farther East than Bethnal Green.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
West London should be avoided by students imo purely because of the ridiculous rents. It's not even that great a place to live as a student in terms of nightlife, you're still going to end up getting the tube/bus into central/East London when you go out, which is why very few students actually live West. And I dont think you'd feel any safer walking through say Shepherds Bush at night than say Holloway anyway so its really a strange decision for any student to go West.

yeah Kensal Green is just boring, like most of West London. Nothing there but a cemetery and row after row of terraced housing. Not exactly posh but not rough either.

Hackney is 50/50 these days, there are still plenty of estates about that you wouldnt want to be hanging about late at night. The North Eastern bits especially although around Hackney Wick etc is all fine. Full of hipsters obviously. Still, it is rougher than say Camden Town tbh.

Agree on going farther East than Bethnal Green.

Yeah ik -- said it would be too expensive anyways and was only saying that because some of the areas there were talked about earlier ITT (lived / spent time in a lot of these parts). Shepherd's bush or Ealing at night would general be the least safe but they're fine on the whole -- probably on a similar level to lots of places that get a poor rep elsewhere. I've found the least trouble in the west though I would say, but in terms of the night life I'd always end up going central or few select areas elsewhere (bethnal green, brixton sometimes e.g)

Living in central (for now at least) is something else though :sogood: .
Reply 83
Hackney is fine. Stop dissing my ends :emo:

The influx of hipsters is annoying tho.
Tottenham is a complete ghetto. Pi** all over the streets and bars over everyones doors and windows. I had friends that went to Secondary School there, I can't even tell you how many people got stabbed (a good few even died outside the school gates) during their time there from year 7 - 11. The government is doing things to improve the area though, namely by kicking all the council residents out and relocating them somewhere else with the assistance of private developers.
Original post by akj.latif
LSE or UCL. Not final yet.

Tough choice, unless of course it is Economics you are doing.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Tottenham is a complete ghetto. Pi** all over the streets and bars over everyones doors and windows. I had friends that went to Secondary School there, I can't even tell you how many people got stabbed (a good few even died outside the school gates) during their time there from year 7 - 11. The government is doing things to improve the area though, namely by kicking all the council residents out and relocating them somewhere else with the assistance of private developers.

I find this hard to believe, especially with the influx of other cultures in the area.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
I find this hard to believe, especially with the influx of other cultures in the area.

The council are pushing for private developments to go ahead in Tottenham. Once this happens, they will relocate a good number of council residents to other areas. The council even had people in Northumberland Park talking about this last September.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
The council are pushing for private developments to go ahead in Tottenham. Once this happens, they will relocate a good number of council residents to other areas. The council even had people in Northumberland Park talking about this last September.

I was at Northumberland Park over the weekend, it is rough, but not rough rough. No idea about other parts of Tottenham, but the name has always filled me with dread over the years, as did Brixton, and look how much Brixton has improved.
I was at Northumberland Park over the weekend, it is rough, but not rough rough. No idea about other parts of Tottenham, but the name has always filled me with dread over the years, as did Brixton, and look how much Brixton has improved.

Similar thing happened in Brixton. A friend of mine used to live on an estate in Brixton a few years ago, until the council passed the land over to a private development company so they could build new homes and boost the house prices up (he was relocated to a seaside home in Bournemouth, I guess he got lucky. Others just got moved to other dumps, I think in Croydon.) I think a big conflict actually ended up happening on the street between the bailiffs that the council sent out and the residents.
Original post by Zürich
Holloway is expensive these days, full of professionals. Personally I dont think Seven Sisters is any rougher than Holloway but because its got a bad rep, it's quite a bit cheaper and only a short bus ride away.

Stroud Green is a little gem apparently in terms of underpriced flats, and its really not that rough.

Avoid Tottenham though yeah, arguably the roughest and most violent part of London.

Oh really? Stroud Green? Interesting bit of info there
Original post by Light_bulb
No go areas:

Peckham
Brixton
Hackney
Lewisham
Croydon
Kensal Rise
Harlesden

These are just off the topic of my head my best advice is stick to central if not go for places such a Wimbledon Putney or Fulham

As someone who lives in Lewisham I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's nice, green, cheap, next to Blackheath and I've never once felt in danger in any way :/

I think people just pick areas with lot of black people and go 'look, dangerous!!!'

Also Peckham?! Peckham is hipster central :/

Actually same goes for Brixton these days.
Original post by queen-bee
It's very dangerous in kensington and Chelsea,im afraid of getting mugged Everytime I walk home :frown: :redface: :wink:

Actually last year Kensington and Chelsea had a higher murder rate than Lewisham. True story.
(Argh!! Don't go to Wimbledon Putney or Fulham. too boring and staid.

Honestly. London is not as dangerous as you think it is. Go to Brixton. If you need cheaper, try Lewisham or Walthamstow or Norwood Junction. If you want, like Hipsters, Shoreditch and surrounding areas. If you have loads of money you could try Soho or Noho. Or try North London - Kentish Town a bit cheaper, Camden you will probably like (for tourists), Primrose Hill (for locals), Chalk Farm and perhaps Hampstead if you like a bit of classic old London with a wonderful heath. Or try Blackheath - very very nice if you are loaded or Greenwich - lots of internationals like that. Use your common sense and instinct and you will be fine in London!

Blackheath isn't that expensive if you live the Lewisham rather than Greenwich side. Our flat is £1100 for a ridiculously nice 1 bed and its like a 5 min walk from the heath. You can rent a room in blackheath for under £550 a month easily, even less if you move slightly into Lewisham.
Original post by redferry
Blackheath isn't that expensive if you live the Lewisham rather than Greenwich side. Our flat is £1100 for a ridiculously nice 1 bed and its like a 5 min walk from the heath. You can rent a room in blackheath for under £550 a month easily, even less if you move slightly into Lewisham.

I'm moving to Blackheath then :wink:
I'm moving to Blackheath then :wink:

Do it, its wonderful here :smile:
Actually last year Kensington and Chelsea had a higher murder rate than Lewisham. True story.

Whoah,I best be careful then
Reply 97
Tough choice, unless of course it is Economics you are doing.

Not Economics, if that was my course I would definitely go for the former. I'm going into Law.
Reply 98

According to Met data there were 3 murders in Kensington and Chelsea in 2014, 4 in Lewisham. There were also 97 rapes in RBKC and 226 in Lewisham. There were also zero murders in RBKC in 2013.

So I'm not sure why people are trying to suggest it's safer in Lewisham? Personally I wouldn't want to live there and I would never recommend it to someone who's never lived in London before. Maybe if they've lived in London for a while and have some street smarts.
Original post by jco19
According to Met data there were 3 murders in Kensington and Chelsea in 2014, 4 in Lewisham. There were also 97 rapes in RBKC and 226 in Lewisham. There were also zero murders in RBKC in 2013.

So I'm not sure why people are trying to suggest it's safer in Lewisham? Personally I wouldn't want to live there and I would never recommend it to someone who's never lived in London before. Maybe if they've lived in London for a while and have some street smarts.

This is getting silly. London is generally safe in most places. Just a bit of common sense and you won't fall victim to muggings or violence. The way posters are portray London is as though it is very dangerous. In reality it is just as safe or dangerous as any other large city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending