The Student Room Group

Resitting 2nd year

I'm currently in my 2nd year of uni studying Maths and Economics, was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on the procedure and limitations placed on me if I was to retake my second year.

My grades thus far in the semester have been poor and it's likely I'm going to have to resit multiple exams in August to be able to progress onto year 3, I understand that resits are capped at 40% and if I fail to reach 40% then I will have to retake the year and won't be able to progress onto my final year. If this was the case and I was to retake my 2nd year would I have to resit all modules regardless of whether I had passed them or not in the previous year and would these resit marks also be capped at 40%?
Do I have to fully attend for the year or am I not allowed to go to my lectures etc?

Thanks
Reply 1
Unfortunately each uni can set its own procedures and requirements for this type of situation, so we probably can't help. Sometimes individual departments within the same uni can have different ways of handling things.

Sometimes it can be a judgement call. At my uni, if you failed more than half of a year's modules after resits without extenuating circumstances (e,g, a bereavement or illness) and the staff thought there was no realistic prospect of you doing any better during a resit year, then you would be withdrawn from the course.

You need to find the regs for your uni/department. Someone from your Student Union should be able to help.
Original post by Danatlive
I'm currently in my 2nd year of uni studying Maths and Economics, was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on the procedure and limitations placed on me if I was to retake my second year.

My grades thus far in the semester have been poor and it's likely I'm going to have to resit multiple exams in August to be able to progress onto year 3, I understand that resits are capped at 40% and if I fail to reach 40% then I will have to retake the year and won't be able to progress onto my final year. If this was the case and I was to retake my 2nd year would I have to resit all modules regardless of whether I had passed them or not in the previous year and would these resit marks also be capped at 40%?
Do I have to fully attend for the year or am I not allowed to go to my lectures etc?

Thanks

Your marks would likely be capped to 40% yes. I'm not sure how it is in your uni but I resit my second year (I only had to pass one 2 units) and I only had to pass the bits of the unit I failed (the exam) so I had a very easy year for my 3rd year actually in uni .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending