The Student Room Group

Would you attend a part time job that is 1hr 30 mins away each way?

Would you or would you not?

It is a normal £7/hr pharmacy dispenser job...

Appreciate your views!

Scroll to see replies

no way! You would spend most your earnings on travel! Plus, working and then travelling that far is super tiring.
How much money would you have left over from doing it? (including after tax and NI) And how many hours? If it was a few hours a day, I wouldn't bother.
Nope.
Only if it's related to/ will help me get further in my ultimate chosen career; like a stepping stone. *** if it's competitive & there are no closer alternative

If it's just for a job then hell no.
(edited 9 years ago)
Omg the replies just prove how entitled and work shy are current young generation can be.
Of course I would take it, I mean the motivation,the discipline and non complency you can get from working in such circumstances will benefit you in the long run.
I ask myself how many of these youngsters actually earned a pound to invest towards their trendy lifestyles?

Original post by SophiaLDN
Only if it's related to/ will help me get further in my ultimate chosen career; like a stepping stone. *** if it's competitive & there are no closer alternative

If it's just for a job then hell no.

Typical response
Original post by Physflop
no way! You would spend most your earnings on travel! Plus, working and then travelling that far is super tiring.

Its not tiring, you're just lazy
Depends on how much you need the money.
If it's like the only job available and you need the money, go for it. If you don't, I don't think it makes sense. Like you earn 7 pounds/hour and work 8h + 3h of commuting, I counted it brings your wage down to 5.09 pounds/hour of invested time, subtract the costs of transport and you get into a real crappy situation.
Reply 9
If you are claiming JobSeeker's Allowance, you would have to take it or risk losing your benefits. "Up to 90 minutes away from home" is their expectation for job searching.
I'd take it but look for something closer while I was doing it. It'll be good for the CV, even if you only work 6 months and then quit (the distance is a perfectly reasonable explanation for leaving).
Original post by Simes
If you are claiming JobSeeker's Allowance, you would have to take it or risk losing your benefits. "Up to 90 minutes away from home" is their expectation for job searching.

That does however include how long it would take to wait for public transport as well. My old advisor always said you don't go with the time you'd get if you got to the stop as the bus arrived (and one I applied for was two buses as well), but take it as if you just missed it and add the time that way. So the first bus was every 15 minutes, and the second was every 20, so that's 35 minutes plus the walking from my front door to the first stop (about 2 minutes) and walking between the two stops (2 minutes) and the walk from the final stop to the building (5 minutes) so we're already edging 45 minutes before I've had the bus journey. It was 40 minutes on the first bus and then 20 on the second, so she said not to bother if they invited me for an interview. I did go to the interview (got a lift), but I didn't get it.
It would depend what the job was - for me, a pharmacist role wouldn't be worth it - and what hours I was doing. 20 hours over 2 days, probably, or even same over 3 days, but any fewer hours or more days of the week, I wouldn't.
I would never need to travel that far for a job paying basically minimum wage, because I have plenty of experience in various other m/w roles and would be able to get one much closer to home, even if it took a bit longer to find it.
Reply 13
Assuming 40mph average speed, the distance travel would be 60 miles x 2 = 120 miles. Given 35 mpg and fuel costing ~£1.05/L, that £16 per day commute.

Working 9hr at £7/hr gives £63. Minus £16 for fuel = £47. That's equal to £5.20/hr.

If I had another option, I'd decline the job in favour of something closer.
Original post by Joyful_soul
Would you or would you not?

It is a normal £7/hr pharmacy dispenser job...

Appreciate your views!

That would depend on;

A) How much it would cost you per trip
B) How many hours you would work; and
C) How many times you would work per week
Original post by minimarshmallow
That does however include how long it would take to wait for public transport as well. My old advisor always said you don't go with the time you'd get if you got to the stop as the bus arrived (and one I applied for was two buses as well), but take it as if you just missed it and add the time that way. So the first bus was every 15 minutes, and the second was every 20, so that's 35 minutes plus the walking from my front door to the first stop (about 2 minutes) and walking between the two stops (2 minutes) and the walk from the final stop to the building (5 minutes) so we're already edging 45 minutes before I've had the bus journey. It was 40 minutes on the first bus and then 20 on the second, so she said not to bother if they invited me for an interview. I did go to the interview (got a lift), but I didn't get it.

wow your advisor sounds nice, how long ago was that?
Nah I wouldn't.
Reply 17
Original post by pjm600
Assuming 40mph average speed, the distance travel would be 60 miles x 2 = 120 miles. Given 35 mpg and fuel costing ~£1.05/L, that £16 per day commute.

Working 9hr at £7/hr gives £63. Minus £16 for fuel = £47. That's equal to £5.20/hr.
May I alter your sums?

Instead of the fuel cost, use a car running cost. Values of 25p or 40p are common. It then becomes £30 to £48 per day.

The £7 / hour is before tax. Although in this case the employee is unlikely to ear enough to pay any.

The hours are likely to be 8 hours per day, so £56.

There could be a little as £8 left from that per day, or £1 per hour.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Its not tiring, you're just lazy

Haha yeah ok.... I work full time. If you're driving for 3 hours a day, it's fairly draining. If you don't like my opinion, don't read it.
i'd do it

Quick Reply

Latest