The Student Room Group

Studying abroad: the best states in the USA?

Hey guys, I'm applying to study abroad in the US but really stuck as to where. Ideally I'd love to go on a road trip whilst I'm there, so I want to go to a city that has a lot of interesting and cool states surrounding it!
Any suggestions on ANYTHING about studying in the US please let me know! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
It depends what you're interested in! The typical "US experience" would be somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast - you can easily visit New York, Baltimore, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc, and even get out to Chicago. However, I'm from the US, and I would recommend studying in the Southwest (somewhere like Phoenix, perhaps). The culture is interesting, landscapes are beautiful, cities are quite modern, and the weather's nice. Definitely a great place for road-tripping and such.
Original post by Username *
Hey guys, I'm applying to study abroad in the US but really stuck as to where. Ideally I'd love to go on a road trip whilst I'm there, so I want to go to a city that has a lot of interesting and cool states surrounding it!
Any suggestions on ANYTHING about studying in the US please let me know! Thanks :smile:

Go study in LA :h:
Reply 3
Original post by evan241
It depends what you're interested in! The typical "US experience" would be somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast - you can easily visit New York, Baltimore, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, etc, and even get out to Chicago. However, I'm from the US, and I would recommend studying in the Southwest (somewhere like Phoenix, perhaps). The culture is interesting, landscapes are beautiful, cities are quite modern, and the weather's nice. Definitely a great place for road-tripping and such.

Oo awesome, yeah I'd love to go road tripping! Unfortunately there aren't any universities that I can apply to in Arizona, and the only nearby states are New Mexico, California and Utah. Which of these is closer to the "US experience"? The main thing I wanna do is road trip (see deserts, beaches etc.) but still be near/in a big city to see as many shops as I can :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance
Go study in LA :h:

I'd love to! Even if I don't study there I will make sure to visit:tongue:
Reply 5
Oo awesome, yeah I'd love to go road tripping! Unfortunately there aren't any universities that I can apply to in Arizona, and the only nearby states are New Mexico, California and Utah. Which of these is closer to the "US experience"? The main thing I wanna do is road trip (see deserts, beaches etc.) but still be near/in a big city to see as many shops as I can :smile:

If you want road tripping, beaches, desert, and a big city (plus the typical "US experience", I would say probably somewhere in California! I love San Francisco, so I definitely would recommend it. It's beautiful, there's a ton of public transit, very multicultural.
Do any of the Ivy League colleges appeal to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd love to! Even if I don't study there I will make sure to visit:tongue:

If you want the proper US experience, go to LA and then travel to the surrounding cities/states. Flights start from $60/one way on AA.

If you do end up in the US, pick an airline that you'll use the most for domestic and international flights, it's usually AA or UA.
Reply 8
Original post by evan241
If you want road tripping, beaches, desert, and a big city (plus the typical "US experience", I would say probably somewhere in California! I love San Francisco, so I definitely would recommend it. It's beautiful, there's a ton of public transit, very multicultural.

Thanks! I'll have a look around san francisco then:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
Do any of the Ivy League colleges appeal to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hah no I can't apply to any of those
Reply 10
Original post by tehFrance
If you want the proper US experience, go to LA and then travel to the surrounding cities/states. Flights start from $60/one way on AA.

If you do end up in the US, pick an airline that you'll use the most for domestic and international flights, it's usually AA or UA.

Oh that's not bad! Definitely wanna be in California, seems like the best state really, then I'll travel from there :smile:
Reply 11
California is an awesome state but is pretty expensive! If you can't study there I would recommend anywhere in the Southwest really, it's cheap to live in, beautiful scenery and natural parks, few hours drive away to California. Arizona and Utah as others suggest are pretty awesome!

I also love the South, people are super friendly and sports are HUGE. Tennessee and North Carolina are my favourites ☀️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by B104
California is an awesome state but is pretty expensive! If you can't study there I would recommend anywhere in the Southwest really, it's cheap to live in, beautiful scenery and natural parks, few hours drive away to California. Arizona and Utah as others suggest are pretty awesome!

I also love the South, people are super friendly and sports are HUGE. Tennessee and North Carolina are my favourites ☀️

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right! I would love to go to Arizona but there are no unis affiliated with my uni's exchange programme :frown: and Utah is a bit too far I think
Depends what you're after, i applied to study abroad and my first choice is in Washington DC :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Tolaaa
Depends what you're after, i applied to study abroad and my first choice is in Washington DC :smile:

Cool! You'll be able to see NY too, not too far :smile: I just hate how big the US is though, could be driving for hrs and still be in the same state!
Cool! You'll be able to see NY too, not too far :smile: I just hate how big the US is though, could be driving for hrs and still be in the same state!

I know what you mean, I drove with my family from NY to FL and it took days! We had to stop over at a hotel and everything, don't know if i'd go through that stress again haha

Quick Reply

Latest