The Student Room Group

Sex/Relationship Education at school; the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Scroll to see replies

I remember one lad fainting in our sex education lessons in year 6. This was the same lad who had asked about flavoured condoms.
Reply 41
We had pretty informative sex education lessons.

.... Not that many people even paid attention anyway..
Mine wasn't too bad, in all honesty. We were taught a fair bit from year 7 to year 11. We also had people come in to talk to us. There was a lot of emphasis on healthy relationships more than anything, though.
And of course the cartoon documentary in year 6 about puberty. Our parents had to sign permission forms for us to watch that.
Now though, I just watch Laci Green videos.
We had a fairly comprehensive cover of all the different methods of contraception when we had sex education in year 9, the main problem was our teacher absolutely hated men because her ex husband cheated on her while she was pregnant.

She asked one of the boys what he would do if he got a girl pregnant, and when he said he would try and support her, she looked very angry and said "well, thats more than most men do!"

She also told us girls not to look forward to our first time, because it would hurt, we'd bleed and he wouldn't care!
I knew everything there was to know in year 8 and they banged on about it until year 11, it was ****in' annoying.

It was rumoured in our school that they would show us videos of people having sex in year 8 while we were in year 7. I don't know why any of us thought it was remotely plausible, but I was very disappointed when it wasn't true.

What have i retained?

1. Use condoms

2. periods are icky.
Original post by OutAtStarlight
Mine wasn't too bad, in all honesty. We were taught a fair bit from year 7 to year 11. We also had people come in to talk to us. There was a lot of emphasis on healthy relationships more than anything, though.
And of course the cartoon documentary in year 6 about puberty. Our parents had to sign permission forms for us to watch that.
Now though, I just watch Laci Green videos.

What's laci green videos?

Original post by khaleesikate
We had a fairly comprehensive cover of all the different methods of contraception when we had sex education in year 9, the main problem was our teacher absolutely hated men because her ex husband cheated on her while she was pregnant.

She asked one of the boys what he would do if he got a girl pregnant, and when he said he would try and support her, she looked very angry and said "well, thats more than most men do!"

She also told us girls not to look forward to our first time, because it would hurt, we'd bleed and he wouldn't care!

Ooft sounds awfully angry. Couldn't be dealing with that haha. And also scare tactics much with the first time comments :redface:
Original post by lyrical_lie
What's laci green videos?

She's a YouTuber. She hosts a show called Sex+. Informative and straight to the point :smile:
She's a YouTuber. She hosts a show called Sex+. Informative and straight to the point :smile:

Hmm thanks I might tell my wee sister as she got no education it either as she went to my school.
Hmm thanks I might tell my wee sister as she got no education it either as she went to my school.

No problem ^_^ I hope she enjoys Laci's videos :h:

Edit: Forgot to say, there can be a fair bit of language in some of Laci's videos. She generally bleeps bad language out, but sometimes not. Just a warning in case your sister is quite young ^_^
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
All they said was sperm meets egg and voila.

They didn't even tell us how the sperm got to the egg.
No problem ^_^ I hope she enjoys Laci's videos :h:

Edit: Forgot to say, there can be a fair bit of language in some of Laci's videos. She generally bleeps bad language out, but sometimes not. Just a warning in case your sister is quite young ^_^

Thanks for the warning, she's 17 but she's quite naive. :tongue:
Unlike others, ours probably started too early, year four. I don't remember much, except being in absolute hysterics, thinking it was literally the funniest thing ever. Sex education was generally pointless, as teachers didn't know what they were doing. I remember being shown a graphic video of a birth (why?), and the teacher rewinding it for lols so the baby went back in.
Reply 52
I had one lesson in primary school none in secondary school no wonder why i am one of the few that hasn’t been pregnant, had a child or is having a child.Some are on there second, third or fourth child.
Original post by Mankytoes
Unlike others, ours probably started too early, year four. I don't remember much, except being in absolute hysterics, thinking it was literally the funniest thing ever.

This was the impression I got too. Girls had the sex talk in year 5, boys had it in year 6. We had them separately and then we had a talk together.
Original post by OU Student
This was the impression I got too. Girls had the sex talk in year 5, boys had it in year 6. We had them separately and then we had a talk together.

We also had a play about drugs when I was in, I think, year three. This is in a Sussex village primary school, and none of us had a clue what it was about (I remember someone saying "take this, it's cool"). I remember when they made us go separate, I was so curious, what are the girls learning? Now I'm really glad they didn't tell us...

Did anyone else had Blod and Bod videos? They were a Welsh couple having a baby, it was brilliant.
We also had a play about drugs when I was in, I think, year three. This is in a Sussex village primary school, and none of us had a clue what it was about (I remember someone saying "take this, it's cool"). I remember when they made us go separate, I was so curious, what are the girls learning? Now I'm really glad they didn't tell us...

Did anyone else had Blod and Bod videos? They were a Welsh couple having a baby, it was brilliant.

I don't remember being taught anything about drugs until secondary school, I don't think.

I also don't remember anything about any videos relating to sec education either.
Unlike others, ours probably started too early, year four. I don't remember much, except being in absolute hysterics, thinking it was literally the funniest thing ever. Sex education was generally pointless, as teachers didn't know what they were doing. I remember being shown a graphic video of a birth (why?), and the teacher rewinding it for lols so the baby went back in.

That is young, is that like age 8?! I remember in p7 we had a video with the boys and all the girls being in hysterics and trying to hide so the teacher didn't see us laughing and it was about a wee boy asking why someone was growing facial hair and why was his big sister spending too much time in the bathroom. It was bizarre.
My sex ed lessons weren't bad - we shoved a condom on a plastic cylinder thing and got told that you could catch STIs or get pregnant... and die (okay the last bit was Mean Girls).

We got told nothing about the pill (did not know it is ineffective when used with antibiotics), didn't know how or where to get condoms, where to go for STI testing, what happens when they test for different STIs, knew nothing about the existence of the morning after pill, didn't know anything about different types of STI, also knew nothing about how the pill can be used to regulate periods and not make them as horrendously painful, also didn't get told that some girls feel faint after putting a tampon in for the first time (THAT was fun... not), nobody told us that girls have this hymen thing, and nobody told us what to do if we got an STI.

I learnt about three things at school that were interesting and/or useful:
the role of different hormones in the menstrual cycle (biology class)
all about abortion (thank you R.E teacher)
all about AIDS (my drama class did a devised piece and we took our research seriously).

So yeah, no actual useful sex ed - think Mean Girls, that was what we got as our 'official' classes!
That is young, is that like age 8?! I remember in p7 we had a video with the boys and all the girls being in hysterics and trying to hide so the teacher didn't see us laughing and it was about a wee boy asking why someone was growing facial hair and why was his big sister spending too much time in the bathroom. It was bizarre.

Year 4 is 8 / 9.
Reply 59
Our sex ed was actually [I think] really good. When we were 10-11 we learnt the basics of intercourse and relationships, and in separate boy/girl classes learnt about puberty. We also had an anonymous Q+A session where we could ask whatever we wanted.

Then throughout secondary school we had biology classes on sexual intercourse and reproduction, and had nurses come in from sexual health clinics to teach us about safe sex.

The only two things I would say were lacking was information on LGBT relationships and information about consent. I would have thought these would be good topics for citizenship, history, or RS seeing as they both have a very interesting political history to them. So that's something I would have liked to have seen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending