The Student Room Group

Applications to usa 2015 entry.

Didnt see any forum topic for UK to USA uni applications.

Hi guys talk here about the universities in US you have applied for and how far you have reached.

I applied to MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, CALTech and Princeton. I have had an interview from Harvard, MIT and Yale.

Got 3As and a B at AS. Predicted 2A* and A.

What about you guys??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sagar448
Didnt see any forum topic for UK to USA uni applications.

Hi guys talk here about the universities in US you have applied for and how far you have reached.

I applied to MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, CALTech and Princeton. I have had an interview from Harvard, MIT and Yale.

Got 3As and a B at AS. Predicted 2A* and A.

What about you guys??

what did you get in your SATs and at GCSE??
Reply 2
What are you applying for and do you have any advice as to what I should do for 2016 entry? (next several months) Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
I got a 2120 in my SAT, GCSE don't matter much but if you really want to know I got 4 A* and 5 As.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dxoxo
What are you applying for and do you have any advice as to what I should do for 2016 entry? (next several months) Thank you :smile:

I am applying for Mechanical Engineering. Well to be honest I'd say do lots of extracurricular activities as because they really like a well rounded student. The activities should be related to your course and would be better if they are about researching a topic. In the next several months take up a hobby of some sort or maybe even an instrument. I mean the grades are like the minimum requirements it's more about how you are as a person.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
GCSE don't matter much

GCSEs do matter, btw.
Reply 6
Are you also applying in the UK? If so, do you see yourself as definitely wanting to go to the US, or is the choice equally split between the UK and US?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiya! I'm applying too!

I'm done with my four interviews so now the waiting begins!!! I've applied to the same colleges as you save for MIT and Caltech

I got 4A (+ B in Further Maths) at AS, predicted 3A*A at A2.

I would much prefer to go the US as i still don't know what I want to study.

My SAT score was pretty average at 1950...I just do not get the value in multiple choice at all!

I also took the SAT subjects tests in Spanish, French and Maths.

:-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Hiya! I'm applying too!

I'm done with my four interviews so now the waiting begins!!! I've applied to the same colleges as you save for MIT and Caltech

I got 4A (+ B in Further Maths) at AS, predicted 3A*A at A2.

I would much prefer to go the US as i still don't know what I want to study.

My SAT score was pretty average at 1950...I just do not get the value in multiple choice at all!

I also took the SAT subjects tests in Spanish, French and Maths.

:-)

Good luck, you seem like you'll get in while on the other hand I have lost hopes. How were the interviews?
Good luck, you seem like you'll get in while on the other hand I have lost hopes. How were the interviews?

Don't say that!!! You never know until you know! The thing with US uni's is that one never quite knows what they are looking for it seems to me.....

The interviews went okay I think!
I would say that perhaps the Princeton one was the worst...perhaps because i was least passionate about the school but idk.....also i found the interviewer a little awkward and they had a mini nose bleed and i did;t say anything lol ahhaha

The harvard one was probably the best, i got along really well with the woman/girl interviewing me. She was a recent graduate. The Yale and Stanford ones also went reasonably okay I'd say but its hard to tell!

How about you? How did yours go?

I'm guessing you go to a regular british school like me ?
Lots of luck. They are incredibly hard schools to get in, and many well-deserving students don't make it. But as an international student, you could definitely have advantages there. We try to draw lots of students from around the world here to add more diversity to our schools and more knowledge of other cultures. Personally, as a student in it, I think the whole education system here is screwed. I mean the schools are amazing, but the best and brightest students often don't get into the best schools because they just don't have enough spots. Look into some "public ivies" as well as top state schools, such as the UCAL system, UVA, MICHIGAN, and Florida. All are excellent alternatives, and are HUGE schools with very diverse student bodies. You're going to get more of the "American experience" there.
And btw, SATs and ACTs are HUGELY important here!!! As are extracurriculars and just having passions in life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MarchingBand2015
Lots of luck. They are incredibly hard schools to get in, and many well-deserving students don't make it. But as an international student, you could definitely have advantages there. We try to draw lots of students from around the world here to add more diversity to our schools and more knowledge of other cultures. Personally, as a student in it, I think the whole education system here is screwed. I mean the schools are amazing, but the best and brightest students often don't get into the best schools because they just don't have enough spots. Look into some "public ivies" as well as top state schools, such as the UCAL system, UVA, MICHIGAN, and Florida. All are excellent alternatives, and are HUGE schools with very diverse student bodies. You're going to get more of the "American experience" there.

The only issue with these schools for me is that they give NO aid to internationals which i desperately need :-(...but UVA looked amazing honestly ....
The only issue with these schools for me is that they give NO aid to internationals which i desperately need :-(...but UVA looked amazing honestly ....

Oh.... I definitely could see how that is a problem. Well look into some of the liberal arts schools such as Williams, AND IN PARTICULAR, ones that promise 100% financial need. You're going to get a lot more out of them than public universities. Also, just some of the three really good schools that are in the closest cities to me: WASHU in STL. Vanderbilt in Nashville and UChicago in Chicago of course. I always wanted to go to them, ahaha, and they're extremely expensive but VANDY has by far the best aid and it's in the South and what we call the music capital of the US.
Personally, I gave up my dream of going to Vanderbilt for a Christian school in VA and if I go, (which I more than likely will), I don't think I will regret it one bit. They are a newer school so the campus is incorporating new technology, doing a half of a billion dollar renovation (that's a TON of money), and they have so much stuff to do (think skiing on a snowless slope, tons of intramurals, and lots of concerts). And they have the best sunsets EVER.
Original post by MarchingBand2015
Oh.... I definitely could see how that is a problem. Well look into some of the liberal arts schools such as Williams, AND IN PARTICULAR, ones that promise 100% financial need. You're going to get a lot more out of them than public universities. Also, just some of the three really good schools that are in the closest cities to me: WASHU in STL. Vanderbilt in Nashville and UChicago in Chicago of course. I always wanted to go to them, ahaha, and they're extremely expensive but VANDY has by far the best aid and it's in the South and what we call the music capital of the US.
Personally, I gave up my dream of going to Vanderbilt for a Christian school in VA and if I go, (which I more than likely will), I don't think I will regret it one bit. They are a newer school so the campus is incorporating new technology, doing a half of a billion dollar renovation (that's a TON of money), and they have so much stuff to do (think skiing on a snowless slope, tons of intramurals, and lots of concerts). And they have the best sunsets EVER.

I do love the campus feel of US universities and the southern weather! I looked into Vandy a lot but I did;t think i could get enough aid....I think it maybe too late now. Anyways, the colleges I did apply to all promise all the aid I'll need if I do get in. Which is a reassuring thought. If i got accepted to one of those amazing southern schools/LACS but then couldn't afford it I think I would burst from the inside out.....:-( I'm really desperate to go abroad...

On a side note; isn;t TSR SO MUCH better than college confidential?
I've applied to Brown, Colby, Cornell, Harvard, Harvey Mudd, Northwestern, Princeton, Rice, Stanford, Vassar & Yale and been interviewed for Brown, Harvard, Princeton, Vassar and Yale. None of them went great :frown: Yale went particularly awkward because my interviewer was quite conservative and politics got brought up and I don't think they approved of my stance on drug laws :woo: - Brown wasn't too good either, it lasted like 25 minutes

Had a 33 ACT (35/33/33/31), 800 SAT II Math 2, 760 SAT II Physics, 4A*, 4A, B GCSEs and 4As at AS.
Reply 15
Don't say that!!! You never know until you know! The thing with US uni's is that one never quite knows what they are looking for it seems to me.....

The interviews went okay I think!
I would say that perhaps the Princeton one was the worst...perhaps because i was least passionate about the school but idk.....also i found the interviewer a little awkward and they had a mini nose bleed and i did;t say anything lol ahhaha

The harvard one was probably the best, i got along really well with the woman/girl interviewing me. She was a recent graduate. The Yale and Stanford ones also went reasonably okay I'd say but its hard to tell!

How about you? How did yours go?

I'm guessing you go to a regular british school like me ?

Yeah true but still I don't know I don't think I have a chance, yeah I would say same the Harvard interview was the best one I had but the MIT one was closely running. It's scary how much of a resemblance we have, the Princeton one went really bad, one reason because he asked me this really tough question on some equivalency thesis... I haven't had one from Caltech yet and the Stanford one was really good too.

Yeah I go to a regular british college. Have you applied to any unis here?
On a side note; isn;t TSR SO MUCH better than college confidential?

I've seen CC loads from google searches and it scares me...
Parents venture there too.... :woo:
Reply 17
Original post by anunoriginaluser
I've applied to Brown, Colby, Cornell, Harvard, Harvey Mudd, Northwestern, Princeton, Rice, Stanford, Vassar & Yale and been interviewed for Brown, Harvard, Princeton, Vassar and Yale. None of them went great :frown: Yale went particularly awkward because my interviewer was quite conservative and politics got brought up and I don't think they approved of my stance on drug laws :woo: - Brown wasn't too good either, it lasted like 25 minutes

Had a 33 ACT (35/33/33/31), 800 SAT II Math 2, 760 SAT II Physics, 4A*, 4A, B GCSEs and 4As at AS.

Don't worry I would say in my opinion no matter how much the universities say that, "Oh the applications are holistic and we look at the student as a whole", at the end it all comes down to grades and you have really good grades so I would not worry. :3 Good luck
Don't worry I would say in my opinion no matter how much the universities say that, "Oh the applications are holistic and we look at the student as a whole", at the end it all comes down to grades and you have really good grades so I would not worry. :3 Good luck

Thanks! :biggrin: :colondollar: to yourself too!
Original post by anunoriginaluser

Wait wait wait. You said your interviewer at Yale was conservative?! Please explain your definition of conservative because a TON of professors and college staff here are liberal democrats. My definition of conservative is a person who: supports the NRA, religious (usually), and has "old fashioned" views on a lot of social issues. I would know. I am one. And usually people living in that area of the US are not Conservative. Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending