The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary English and Russian

Hi, I have applied to study English and Russian (Q50) at QMUL - I presume that Russian is not very popular as it is not widely taught at Alevel as a modern language so.... was wondering is anyone else has anyone else applied? If so, do you think they will they require interview?

Thanks, Izzie
I'd be very surprised if they require interview. All of QM's Languages, Literature, Linguistics dept was in clearing last year.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by молодой гений
I'd be very surprised if they require interview. All of QM's Languages, Literature, Linguistics dept was in clearing last year.

Really? I presumed QMUL would be oversubscribed! Although I hope that is the case this year too, the course looks so good!
Original post by izzie brown
Really? I presumed QMUL would be oversubscribed! Although I hope that is the case this year too, the course looks so good!

I considered applying too, actually. They have a native-speakers stream as well, plus they require applicants w/o Russian A-level to do an additional qualifying year (raising the degree length to 5 years, including the year abroad), so you bet their language teaching quality is gonna be good.

To be honest though, that's not a reflection on the quality of the course at all (the clearing thing). Languages are massively declining anyway, have been for years, and last year there were no limits on how many ABB+ students universities could enrol. This year there will be no limits at all, which in theory will make getting a place even easier.
Reply 4
I considered applying too, actually. They have a native-speakers stream as well, plus they require applicants w/o Russian A-level to do an additional qualifying year (raising the degree length to 5 years, including the year abroad), so you bet their language teaching quality is gonna be good.

To be honest though, that's not a reflection on the quality of the course at all (the clearing thing). Languages are massively declining anyway, have been for years, and last year there were no limits on how many ABB+ students universities could enrol. This year there will be no limits at all, which in theory will make getting a place even easier.

I am predicted AAB, but say, for example, if I get ABB/BBB on results day do you think I would still be accepted? I've seen that without the English joint honours (Russian alone) only requires BBB, but it's really the Eng + Russ course that I want.
I am predicted AAB, but say, for example, if I get ABB/BBB on results day do you think I would still be accepted? I've seen that without the English joint honours (Russian alone) only requires BBB, but it's really the Eng + Russ course that I want.

Absolutely. Their 'typical offer' on the page is listed as ABB anyway.
Reply 6
Absolutely. Their 'typical offer' on the page is listed as ABB anyway.

Haha! I hope very much that you are right!! Are you a native Russian speaker? You should apply
Haha! I hope very much that you are right!! Are you a native Russian speaker? You should apply

I am, yeah - I went for Chinese joint honours at SOAS, Leeds and Goldsmiths instead :tongue: if that all goes to hell, though, then I'll go to QM for Russian through clearing. I'd love to be able to read and write it properly again, it's all kind of gone.
Reply 8
I am, yeah - I went for Chinese joint honours at SOAS, Leeds and Goldsmiths instead :tongue: if that all goes to hell, though, then I'll go to QM for Russian through clearing. I'd love to be able to read and write it properly again, it's all kind of gone.

I applied to Goldsmith's too, just for the English Q300 course, though. The QMUL eng + russ course looks fab, would love to do a year in Russia!
Reply 9

Chinese joint honours with what at SOAS?
Chinese joint honours with what at SOAS?

Chinese & law at SOAS (still waiting) and Chinese & international relations at SOAS (got an offer). Goldsmiths was for Chinese and international studies. Leeds was for Chinese and economics. I can't decide :frown:
Reply 11
Chinese & law at SOAS (still waiting) and Chinese & international relations at SOAS (got an offer). Goldsmiths was for Chinese and international studies. Leeds was for Chinese and economics. I can't decide :frown:

Why did you go for Chinese in particular? I haven't really looked too much into SOAS, but I fell in love with Goldsmiths! I've just seen that QM are calling for interview for Q300 English so I would presume they'll interview for my course too... not sure if that is a good or bad thing!!
Why did you go for Chinese in particular? I haven't really looked too much into SOAS, but I fell in love with Goldsmiths! I've just seen that QM are calling for interview for Q300 English so I would presume they'll interview for my course too... not sure if that is a good or bad thing!!

Well, I did it as a GCSE, and have always regretted not doing it for A-level. Goldsmiths is awesome, yeah - I need to get myself on an offer-holder open day as soon as I can tbh. Did you apply for English and Russian anywhere else? I think Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham do it.

In all honesty though, I doubt that they can afford to be too picky with rare foreign languages atm. I read that only 50-odd students started Japanese degrees in 2013, or something?
Reply 13
Well, I did it as a GCSE, and have always regretted not doing it for A-level. Goldsmiths is awesome, yeah - I need to get myself on an offer-holder open day as soon as I can tbh. Did you apply for English and Russian anywhere else? I think Sheffield, Manchester and Nottingham do it.

In all honesty though, I doubt that they can afford to be too picky with rare foreign languages atm. I read that only 50-odd students started Japanese degrees in 2013, or something?

Do you know when the offer-holder open days are? I need to get on one of those too!
No, I applied for straight English courses but as my fifth choice I thought why not apply for one joint with Russian. I really enjoy it at Alevel and seems a waste to give it up after 7 years! The other unis that do Eng + Russ didnt really take my fancy, only QM.
Do you know when the offer-holder open days are? I need to get on one of those too!
No, I applied for straight English courses but as my fifth choice I thought why not apply for one joint with Russian. I really enjoy it at Alevel and seems a waste to give it up after 7 years! The other unis that do Eng + Russ didnt really take my fancy, only QM.

I don't, no, although I've Googled all over the place and can't seem to find any information. To be fair, the London universities seem to be a bit late in their offer-sending generally, so I'm guessing their offer-holder open days will be in mid- to late-March anyway. I know SOAS's one is on March 18, whereas my other universities are in mid-February. I'll write here as soon as I know!
Reply 15
I don't, no, although I've Googled all over the place and can't seem to find any information. To be fair, the London universities seem to be a bit late in their offer-sending generally, so I'm guessing their offer-holder open days will be in mid- to late-March anyway. I know SOAS's one is on March 18, whereas my other universities are in mid-February. I'll write here as soon as I know!

someone just replied to me on another thread saying that they were today! woops
someone just replied to me on another thread saying that they were today! woops

I definitely didn't get any information about that, email or otherwise :s-smilie:

For which departments, though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending