The Student Room Group

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career

I'm 22 now and it's slowly dawned on me that I have no intention of working/having a career. I find most work boring and I am simply not inspired by the rat race. I think I want to be a small business owner and a stay at home mother.

It seems with feminism most women just aren't looking to go down the 'small job, husband and babies' route anymore. Am I the only one who doesn't want to work...at all ?

Maybe a small online store or something and a husband and kids. Nothing more (?)

Anyone else ?

Scroll to see replies

You are brave. It's almost socially unacceptable now for a woman to say that she wants to stay at home and raise children. The feminists have silenced these women, they'll be coming for you soon.

You do as you wish.
Have to bag yourself a rich husband then.
Have my babies @-@
I hate the thought of spending most of my life at work, but I like earning my own money too much to want to be a full time housewife. I will probably take a good bit of time off to have children (or only work part time when they're young) but I couldn't do it long term.
Reply 5
im feminist, good 4 u op :cool:
Reply 6
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
You are brave. It's almost socially unacceptable now for a woman to say that she wants to stay at home and raise children. The feminists have silenced these women, they'll be coming for you soon.

You do as you wish.

Indeed. I guess I'm alone...
Reply 7
I want a career so I'd be fine on my own and because there are some fields that interest me. But at one point I will want to put family first, that's for sure. I don't see that happening in the next 10 years though...
Reply 8
Original post by DarkMagic
I hate the thought of spending most of my life at work, but I like earning my own money too much to want to be a full time housewife. I will probably take a good bit of time off to have children (or only work part time when they're young) but I couldn't do it long term.

I'm 22 and I'm counting the days till I can quit working.
Original post by Coben
I'm 22 now and it's slowly dawned on me that I have no intention of working/having a career. I find most work boring and I am simply not inspired by the rat race. I think I want to be a small business owner and a stay at home mother.

It seems with feminism most women just aren't looking to go down the 'small job, husband and babies' route anymore. Am I the only one who doesn't want to work...at all ?

Maybe a small online store or something and a husband and kids. Nothing more (?)

Anyone else ?

Marriage worthy imo :daydreaming:
Reply 10
I can't imagine what it would be like not to be independent. That, and I'd get bored of looking after children all day long. But whatever makes you happy OP.

It's thread like this that make me wonder what would happen if a man said he had no intention of working, and letting his wife be the breadwinner while he's a stay at home dad. :dontknow:
Lazy
Reply 12
Original post by Messiah Complex
Marriage worthy imo :daydreaming:

don't you want your wife to work ?
Reply 13
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Lazy

I want to own a small business so it isn't 'lazy'
'Small Business Owners' can make a lot of money online if they approach it right. You don't necessarily need a traditional career to be successful and live a good life.

My only advice to you, is to read, ALOT. Start jotting down as many ideas as you want for starting your own small enterprise or what not, the earlier you start the better.

Unless by your OP, you mean that you have no intention of doing any form of work for the rest of your life... then you'll probably struggle unless you have a very wealthy partner, but IMO handing the keys of your life to another person who isn't guaranteed to stay with you, is a very, very big risk.

I'd rather put all my money in stocks than do that. But that's just me.

You can do whatever you want at the end of the day, its your life.

And to those who have already been saying: "Is cuz feminism"...Grow up.

Feminism in this aspect, is about giving women the choice to do what they want in their working lives.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Having a job and earning your own money gives you a sense of pride and self worth, i don't understand why people don't want jobs!
Owning a business is work. (It's harder than having a 9 to 5 job)
not a girl but i feel exactly the same
Reply 18
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
'Small Business Owners' can make a lot of money online if they approach it right. You don't necessarily need a traditional career to be successful and live a good life.

My only advice to you, is to read, ALOT. Start jotting down as many ideas as you want for starting your own small enterprise or what not, the earlier you start the better.

Unless by your OP, you mean that you have no intention of doing any form of work for the rest of your life... then you'll probably struggle unless you have a very wealthy partner, but IMO handing the keys of your life to another person who isn't guaranteed to stay with you, is a very, very big risk.

I'd rather put all my money in stocks than do that. But that's just me.

You can do whatever you want at the end of the day, its your life.

And to those who have already been saying: "Is cuz feminism"...Grow up.

Feminism in this aspect, is about giving women the choIice to do what they want in their working lives.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your first point was accurate :smile:

I want to become a small business owner. I'm not inspired by the rat race so a small business and my family is what I aspire to.

I hope to still 'work' just independently from my own home.

Can you recommend me some books ?
I was thinking along the same lines as you but personally I'd get a degree then I'd work for a while

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending