The Student Room Group

Am I The Only Girl Who Has NO Intention Of Working/Having A Career

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by shawn_o1
Owning a business is work. (It's harder than having a 9 to 5 job)

fine by me :smile: as long as I pick my own hours.
Reply 21
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I was thinking along the same lines as you but personally I'd get a degree then I'd work for a while

I have a degree, I did iMB at UCL. :smile:

what would your ideal life be ?

I'm 22 now working my grad job, I want to work till 30ish then never return.

Currently saving monthly for my business.
Looking after small kids and running a small business = working, so your post is confusing.
Original post by shawn_o1
Owning a business is work. (It's harder than having a 9 to 5 job)

very subjective opinion there. It depends what job you're comparing it to. There's plenty of jobs that are equally as hard as having a business! And how you manage your business. I know people who have their own businesses and don't actually help with the work. Nobody likes a manager who sits in their office all day!
Reply 24
Original post by og.east
not a girl but i feel exactly the same

what are your goals ? :biggrin:
Original post by Coben
I want to own a small business so it isn't 'lazy'

Yeah, sure.
Reply 26
Original post by seaholme
Looking after small kids and running a small business = working, so your post is confusing.

I meant a traditional job. Career.
Original post by Coben

I want to teach English to kids for a while maybe in Brazil or something. During that time I'd save up. Then ideally, I'd want to marry someone with a stable job so I don't work. I want kids too and tbh I don't think I could handle a job and young kids
Reply 28
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I want to teach English to kids for a while maybe in Brazil or something. During that time I'd save up. Then ideally, I'd want to marry someone with a stable job so I don't work. I want kids too and tbh I don't think I could handle a job and young kids

Good plan :smile: would you do a little side gig/business ?
Original post by Coben
Good plan :smile: would you do a little side gig/business ?

Doubt it
Original post by Coben
Your first point was accurate :smile:

I want to become a small business owner. I'm not inspired by the rat race so a small business and my family is what I aspire to.

I hope to still 'work' just independently from my own home.

Can you recommend me some books ?

Hehe that's what I'm currently doing now. Location independent. Hiring a VA in a couple of months soon too :tongue: Though I also have a job a few days a week to help here and there.

Yeah sure. These books are a goldmine: Rich Dad Poor Dad, Anything from Seth Godin, Anything from Dan Kennedy, The Innovators, Every Idea Is A Good Idea, Richard Branson: The Virgin Way, The $100 Start up, Personal MBA, Racing Towards Excellent, The Psychology of Persuasion, just to name a few.
Original post by Coben
what are your goals ? :biggrin:

i don't really have any. ideally i wouldn't work at all (fingers crossed for saturday's lotto) but realistically i just don't want to be part of the "rat race". at some point i'd like to work for myself rather than go to work to make someone else richer.
Reply 32
Then do as you wish.

Id recommend you start your bussiness now. Quit your * job if you do not like it!

But I could not live depending on someone (husband/parents) and that is why if I were you I would start earning money in the way you enjoy.

My plan is to go to my dream uni and do my dream career (Design eng at ICL) and then work for some years, then If I marry and have children I eant to move to a place like Bali, where I can look after them and see them grow surrounded by nature and surf, of course :wink: After some years I would go back so my children have a normal education etc and I would try to start my own bussiness/ keep working but earning more as I would have experience

I get a bit of both, dont I? :wink:
Good luck.
Original post by Coben

Smart girl.
Original post by Coben
I'm 22 now and it's slowly dawned on me that I have no intention of working/having a career. I find most work boring and I am simply not inspired by the rat race. I think I want to be a small business owner and a stay at home mother.

It seems with feminism most women just aren't looking to go down the 'small job, husband and babies' route anymore. Am I the only one who doesn't want to work...at all ?

Maybe a small online store or something and a husband and kids. Nothing more (?)

Anyone else ?
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think money is a big issue for couples these days. I've heard of many women who would prefer to stay at home with the children but they simply can't afford not to go to work.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Lazy

what's wrong with being lazy?
Reply 36
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Hehe that's what I'm currently doing now. Location independent. Hiring a VA in a couple of months soon too :tongue: Though I also have a job a few days a week to help here and there.

Yeah sure. These books are a goldmine: Rich Dad Poor Dad, Anything from Seth Godin, Anything from Dan Kennedy, The Innovators, Every Idea Is A Good Idea, Richard Branson: The Virgin Way, The $100 Start up, Personal MBA, Racing Towards Excellent, The Psychology of Persuasion, just to name a few.

Thanks soo much :smile:

My degree (imb) taught me alot about business excited to learn more. Just need to find my 'niche' :colondollar: in the mean time I'll keep saving part of my salary for my capital :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by bealln17
Then do as you wish.

Id recommend you start your bussiness now. Quit your * job if you do not like it!

But I could not live depending on someone (husband/parents) and that is why if I were you I would start earning money in the way you enjoy.

My plan is to go to my dream uni and do my dream career (Design eng at ICL) and then work for some years, then If I marry and have children I eant to move to a place like Bali, where I can look after them and see them grow surrounded by nature and surf, of course :wink: After some years I would go back so my children have a normal education etc and I would try to start my own bussiness/ keep working but earning more as I would have experience

I get a bit of both, dont I? :wink:
Good luck.

:biggrin: sounds swell.

Good luck.
Original post by bealln17
Then do as you wish.

Hmm contrary to popular belief, it's not a good idea to "quit your job", when you need it to fund your projects.

Especially for a 22-year old fresh out of university :tongue:
Original post by Coben
don't you want your wife to work ?

Nah. I want her to enjoy life. Why should both of us have to work and suffer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending