The Student Room Group

entering biomedical or biochemistry

with applied science could you enter biomedical or biochemistry
I can't really answer your question, But I think you are better off looking at university entry requirements. If that doesn't answer your question, just phone or email university admissions office. I'm a 3rd Year Biomedical science student so if you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask.
Original post by cyn_purple
I can't really answer your question, But I think you are better off looking at university entry requirements. If that doesn't answer your question, just phone or email university admissions office. I'm a 3rd Year Biomedical science student so if you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask.

Hi, I've applied for Biomedical Science and will be starting this year. Which university are you studying at?:smile:
Original post by Justme:-)
Hi, I've applied for Biomedical Science and will be starting this year. Which university are you studying at?:smile:

Keele University.
Haha, I've just graduated from Biomedical science at Keele!
OMG! I was going to put Keele as my firm but then I fell in love with York and I think I'm going to put Keele as my insurance:smile:
What do you think is the best and worst thing about Biomed there? The only things that put me off is that if I chose to go abroad it would apparently change the title of my degree, and I was not amazed by the accomodation. However, once I went for the open day, I loved it and went on about it for so long that I convinced a few of my friends to apply to the university too (for other courses of course) :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Physflop
Haha, I've just graduated from Biomedical science at Keele![/QUO
yh but could you enter biomedical or biochemistry with applied science
[QUOTE="jimiala;53122545"]
Haha, I've just graduated from Biomedical science at Keele![/QUO
yh but could you enter biomedical or biochemistry with applied science

I've got no idea what applied science is sorry! I did Biology, chemistry and PE A levels. Email the unis you are interested in, thats the only reliable way you will find out
Haha, I've just graduated from Biomedical science at Keele!

Congratulations! :smile:
OMG! I was going to put Keele as my firm but then I fell in love with York and I think I'm going to put Keele as my insurance:smile:
What do you think is the best and worst thing about Biomed there? The only things that put me off is that if I chose to go abroad it would apparently change the title of my degree, and I was not amazed by the accomodation. However, once I went for the open day, I loved it and went on about it for so long that I convinced a few of my friends to apply to the university too (for other courses of course) :smile:

Yeah, nobody goes abroad because of that issue with the degree. :frown: its a shame! Um, the life sciences labs and facilities are pretty top notch, the tutors a pretty nice and I found i got a lot of support with my 3rd year research project :smile: Ah you sound like me! When I visited the standard accommodation I was horrified having lived at home but seriously, even the basic accommodation you would be really happy in because of the people you live with, also once you're there it really doesn't seem that bad
Yeah, nobody goes abroad because of that issue with the degree. :frown: its a shame! Um, the life sciences labs and facilities are pretty top notch, the tutors a pretty nice and I found i got a lot of support with my 3rd year research project :smile: Ah you sound like me! When I visited the standard accommodation I was horrified having lived at home but seriously, even the basic accommodation you would be really happy in because of the people you live with, also once you're there it really doesn't seem that bad

I really like the idea of studying abroad and it just annoyed me that the title would change because the accreditation thing doesn't bother me:smile:
The Lindsay court (think thats what it was called) looked really nice but there is a huge difference with the basic. The campus looked so nice and pretty and I like the structure of the course in terms of the modules. On the open day I spent about an hour talking to one of the lecturers and he seemed really passionate which I think is important.
I am currently between Keele and Leeds Beckett for my insurance because Leeds has lower entry requirements just for if I have a major disaster and don't get a B in chemistry:smile:
[QUOTE="cyn_purple;53122859"]
What do you think is the best and worst thing about Biomed there? The only things that put me off is that if I chose to go abroad it would apparently change the title of my degree, and I was not amazed by the accomodation. However, once I went for the open day, I loved it and went on about it for so long that I convinced a few of my friends to apply to the university too (for other courses of course) :smile:[/QUOTE

The biomed course at Keele shares a lot of biochemistry and other life sciences modules. Which I think is great. There is a lack of more biomedical related modules. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

If you want to work in hospitals , the biomedical course has to be IBMS accredited. If you choose study abroad you won't get the accreditation with your degree.

What do you mean by a lack of biomedical related modules?:smile:
I am interested in medical research and I found that Biomedical Science was the degree which was most suited to me that could also lead to that career. Although I also looked into the hospital thing just in case I changed my mindnand the person I spoke to at Keele actually explained it the best and said that I could still go into hospital work, but I would start at a lower pay band. I also know this is true because my Biology teacher has a friend from university who now works in a Biomedical lab at a hospital and the Sheffield degree is not accredited.:smile:

How do you find the work load and the atmosphere at the university as a whole?:smile:
I really like the idea of studying abroad and it just annoyed me that the title would change because the accreditation thing doesn't bother me:smile:
The Lindsay court (think thats what it was called) looked really nice but there is a huge difference with the basic. The campus looked so nice and pretty and I like the structure of the course in terms of the modules. On the open day I spent about an hour talking to one of the lecturers and he seemed really passionate which I think is important.
I am currently between Keele and Leeds Beckett for my insurance because Leeds has lower entry requirements just for if I have a major disaster and don't get a B in chemistry:smile:

I lived in Lindsay court for first year, I would definitely recommend it if the price isn't an issue
I lived in Lindsay court for first year, I would definitely recommend it if the price isn't an issue

I was going to apply for accommodation there but my worry is that I don't have a good chance of getting it as it would be my insurance:smile:
I have also had people trying to put me off with what the local area around the university is like, it so far hasn't put me off the university but it would be nice to get an opinion from someone there:smile:
I was going to apply for accommodation there but my worry is that I don't have a good chance of getting it as it would be my insurance:smile:
I have also had people trying to put me off with what the local area around the university is like, it so far hasn't put me off the university but it would be nice to get an opinion from someone there:smile:

Don't be put off by Stoke, yeah it's a bit of a poohole (in my opinion) but loads of my friends have actually stayed there after graduating so it's not that bad! My problem with it is there's nothing to do in town. There's some nice pubs but if you want a decent place to shop etc then you need to go to Birmingham or manchester. It's an effort but if you're desperate they are both only half an hour on the train :smile: there's also plenty of decent places to live off campus especially in the new estate just at the bottom of Keele hill
Don't be put off by Stoke, yeah it's a bit of a poohole (in my opinion) but loads of my friends have actually stayed there after graduating so it's not that bad! My problem with it is there's nothing to do in town. There's some nice pubs but if you want a decent place to shop etc then you need to go to Birmingham or manchester. It's an effort but if you're desperate they are both only half an hour on the train :smile: there's also plenty of decent places to live off campus especially in the new estate just at the bottom of Keele hill

Poohole is almost exactly the way it has been described to be haha:biggrin:
Okay, but if I will be getting the train, is it a hassle to get to the train station or is it close?:smile:
Poohole is almost exactly the way it has been described to be haha:biggrin:
Okay, but if I will be getting the train, is it a hassle to get to the train station or is it close?:smile:

It's close :smile: 10 mins by car, 25 ish by bus I think.
It's close :smile: 10 mins by car, 25 ish by bus I think.

Oh okay, that doesn't seem too bad:smile:
I think I'm going to put it as my insurance but I have times when I worry about chemistry so I'm going to wait until I am completely settled with my decision before I put it into UCAS.
Thank you:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by jimiala

what other courses/ subjects do you do? :smile:
Original post by jimiala

I suggest you have a read through this, might help you with any queries. I also do applied science along with biology and I intend on doing chemistry as well but in September, has I am ambitious in choosing a course in a field similar to yours. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest