The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Private Accommodation in Manchester, where are the best areas?

Hello all,

I'm going to be starting a post grad at the Uni of Manchester in October and am looking for advice on what areas are the best for private rents? I have only been to Manchester once and that was for my interview so have no idea what areas are decent and what areas are dodgy!

I would ideally like to be within walking distance of the Oxford Road Campus and at the grand old age of 30, I'm not interested in being at party central, although having a few decent bars/restaurants nearby would be good.

Any suggestions of what areas I should be looking at would be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by auroracase
Hello all,

I'm going to be starting a post grad at the Uni of Manchester in October and am looking for advice on what areas are the best for private rents? I have only been to Manchester once and that was for my interview so have no idea what areas are decent and what areas are dodgy!

I would ideally like to be within walking distance of the Oxford Road Campus and at the grand old age of 30, I'm not interested in being at party central, although having a few decent bars/restaurants nearby would be good.

Any suggestions of what areas I should be looking at would be much appreciated!

Hi there. I'm a mature student starting at Manchester this fall too. Like you, I can't deal with the party lifestyle and sharing with 18 year old. I'm going to be living at Student Castle. It's not too far from the university and it seems like everything is nearby. It's pricy, but it's also furnished and all inclusive of utilities. There are plenty of places for students though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Hi there. I'm a mature student starting at Manchester this fall too. Like you, I can't deal with the party lifestyle and sharing with 18 year old. I'm going to be living at Student Castle. It's not too far from the university and it seems like everything is nearby. It's pricy, but it's also furnished and all inclusive of utilities. There are plenty of places for students though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'll take a look!
I just got my offers in yesterday and will be 33. Again.....not fussed about the party but it's good to know us old uns are not alone. I am also looking for private accommodation...... Rock n roll!!
Original post by Dr Watson
I just got my offers in yesterday and will be 33. Again.....not fussed about the party but it's good to know us old uns are not alone. I am also looking for private accommodation...... Rock n roll!!

We should all meet up in September. I'll be 28 and I'm glad it's not as uncommon as I thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some solidarity... safety in numbers and all that....
It annoys me every time I see a post by someone saying how they don't think they'll fit in because they're 19 or so and its so old!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It annoys me every time I see a post by someone saying how they don't think they'll fit in because they're 19 or so and its so old!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait till you go bald kid...!
Wait till you go bald kid...!

Me? I'm not that much younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me? I'm not that much younger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I meant the 19 yr olds........ I'm bald as you like mate.
Reply 10
We should all meet up in September. I'll be 28 and I'm glad it's not as uncommon as I thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm up for that! Sit and watch the kids go crazy being away from home for the 1st time! :smile:
Original post by auroracase
I'm up for that! Sit and watch the kids go crazy being away from home for the 1st time! :smile:

Those crazy kids ey...... I was never that daft.......cough cough! Had a lass at work the other week asking why money had been taken from her wages......umm love that's called income tax!
Reply 12
Those crazy kids ey...... I was never that daft.......cough cough! Had a lass at work the other week asking why money had been taken from her wages......umm love that's called income tax!

Oh dear...
No I meant the 19 yr olds........ I'm bald as you like mate.

Well I'm not bald, but I definitely have a decent amount of grey hairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I'm not bald, but I definitely have a decent amount of grey hairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got few of those too :confused:
Got few of those too :confused:

I have more and more everyday. I dread going for a haircut because it's so obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are nice/good value places going for rent around the whitworth - moss side area. Walking distance to the uni, and just out of the way of the madness if you want to keep things tame but with fun still in reach.

Avoid Fallowfield if you want to keep a good arms length with the student chaos, it is pretty much a student town. Generally nice/safe/cheap but known for massive public disturbance and partying, recently with the Police trying to supress it!

There's a general negative vibe linked with the moss side area, however I believe it is more exaggerated/urban myth linked to certain infamous council estates in the area and bad press regarding specific events (not saying crime rates aren't higher overall). However there is much more to it, especially with areas nowhere near the infamous coucil estates/poorer areas, and where you will find the accomodation is very open/safe with a lot of student presence, often placed closer to the uni. Do keep that in mind when doing your research.
Original post by crazystudent321
There are nice/good value places going for rent around the whitworth - moss side area. Walking distance to the uni, and just out of the way of the madness if you want to keep things tame but with fun still in reach.

Avoid Fallowfield if you want to keep a good arms length with the student chaos, it is pretty much a student town. Generally nice/safe/cheap but known for massive public disturbance and partying, recently with the Police trying to supress it!

There's a general negative vibe linked with the moss side area, however I believe it is more exaggerated/urban myth linked to certain infamous council estates in the area and bad press regarding specific events (not saying crime rates aren't higher overall). However there is much more to it, especially with areas nowhere near the infamous coucil estates/poorer areas, and where you will find the accomodation is very open/safe with a lot of student presence, often placed closer to the uni. Do keep that in mind when doing your research.

I'm glad I decided against living in Fallowfield!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad I decided against living in Fallowfield!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! It is largely down to personal preference. Being a younger student I love living in Fallowfield for its sociability, nightlife - and the fact it is mainly a town now heavily populated with students. It's fun to live in an area with your peers, meet loads of new people and party heavily!

Can fully understand why people will hate that though, especially if they highly value regular/uninterrupted sleep! LOL! A night doesn't go by where you can't hear the thumping of party somewhere or club music, or the loud ramblings of drunk students coming and going. Doesn't bother me at all though! Love it!
Hi there. I'm a mature student starting at Manchester this fall too. Like you, I can't deal with the party lifestyle and sharing with 18 year old. I'm going to be living at Student Castle. It's not too far from the university and it seems like everything is nearby. It's pricey, but it's also furnished and all inclusive of utilities. There are plenty of places for students though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IT LOOKS SO NICE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest