The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

What is Primary Education with QTS course like at BCU?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for clarifying LouiseRoche, regarding the group discussions !
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Anishakaur2918, that's great, all the best !
This is the information I have been given regarding the interview. The selection daywill be in two parts. Part One will include the following assessments:

1. A Curriculum Knowledge Test
· Thiswill assess the breadth of knowledge that the government and the universityacknowledge is vital for primary teachers who teach across the curriculum.
· All questions relate either directly or indirectlyto Primary Education and the National Curriculum for Key Stages 1 & 2.
· The test covers a wide range of areas of thecurriculum including mathematics, English, science, geography, history, music,art, PE and RE.

2. A group discussion
This will assess understanding of some issues surroundingprimary education and the challenges and rewards of working with children. Thiswill also assess communication and interpersonal skills. In preparation forthis task candidates would find it useful to be familiar with the Teachers’Standards (DfE 2012).

3. A self-evaluation task
This will assess the ability to recognise strengths andweaknesses and to set realistic targets. This will also assess written English.
I am very confused now. It feels as if the information given to me for my interview is very different from everyone else....freaking out ! Any help would be really appreciated :confused:. Did anyone do any of these tasks for their interview? Thank you
Original post by Student.G
I am very confused now. It feels as if the information given to me for my interview is very different from everyone else....freaking out ! Any help would be really appreciated :confused:. Did anyone do any of these tasks for their interview? Thank you

I was interviewed for the primary education BA honours...if that helps not sure if anybody else has applied for this...sorry if I've been talking about the wrong thing for anyone haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LouiseRoche
How long did it take for them to get back to you with an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About two weeks.
Reply 46
Original post by Student.G
Anishakaur2918, that's great, all the best !

Awwh thank you. You too :smile:
Reply 47
Hey guys! If you don't mind me asking, what experience do you have? As in key stage 1 or 2? I have completed key stage one placement in year 1 and 2. I have received a form to fill out online to let them know about my work experience .g. what key stage I've done. Would you say it matters a lot if I haven't done key stage 2? I have got placement in key stage 2 at my little brother school just in case.
Original post by anishakaur2918
Thank you soo much! By the way I have undertaken a year placement in a Primary School. I do two days a week in a year 2 class. I have also done two weeks in a year 1 class. I'm not sure if I've got enough experience, how much experience have you done? :smile:

Hi..If you don't mind me asking, what course/subjects are you doing?
Got a conditional offer for Primary education...over the moon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya! I've got an interview on Tuesday and I'm terrified! What sort of objects did people use for the group discussions and what did they say about them? I have a few ideas but don't want to be too obscure compared to other people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey WHAT TYPE OF BOOKS DO YOU TAKE AND HOW DO YOU PRESENT THE GRoup task?? :/ please help

and btw congrats :biggrin:
Original post by glitzy08
hey WHAT TYPE OF BOOKS DO YOU TAKE AND HOW DO YOU PRESENT THE GRoup task?? :/ please help

and btw congrats :biggrin:

I took a mini white board when I presented mine we just sat round a table it was really relaxed not too scary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophie_emma96
Hiya! I've got an interview on Tuesday and I'm terrified! What sort of objects did people use for the group discussions and what did they say about them? I have a few ideas but don't want to be too obscure compared to other people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used a mini white board and said:
What subject it related too
What ages it was suitable for
Why it would benefit the teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used a mini white board and said:
What subject it related too
What ages it was suitable for
Why it would benefit the teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh that doesnt seem that difficult :smile:
but on my interview letter it says bring a book or artefact? hmmm i hope i dont have to read it as if im reading to like a 6 year old :smile:
Original post by glitzy08
oh that doesnt seem that difficult :smile:
but on my interview letter it says bring a book or artefact? hmmm i hope i dont have to read it as if im reading to like a 6 year old :smile:

Oh yeah it says that just bring in whatever you like dw you don't have to read the book haha, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCU anyone's first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCU anyone's first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay thanks!:smile:

and yeah BCU is my first choice 'cause iwanna stay local... so hopefully i get an offer!

i think my 2nd choice would be Derby or Northampton
Reply 58
Guys I'm so so confused! I have an interview date for March and in the documents they give, they ask for me to have booked an ITT skills test of some sort? And they will give an additional english/math test on the day too?

How/when did you guys do the professional skills test?
Original post by zobia63
Guys I'm so so confused! I have an interview date for March and in the documents they give, they ask for me to have booked an ITT skills test of some sort? And they will give an additional english/math test on the day too?

How/when did you guys do the professional skills test?

I got my mom to book mine for me, got it booked for the 7th march, in the documents I think there should be a link to the site you can book them on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending