The Student Room Group

The Green Party's policies sound bonkers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
Good man. :yy: I do believe that it's a good policy and would be for any party, so telling people that it's something it's not, would be a shame.

I agree. It sounds like a fair policy. I will advocate within the Labour Party for it to be adopted.

However, policies like that don't make up for policies like the Greens belief in implementing negative economic growth (i.e. perpetual recession) on the bases that they believe human economic activity is inherently harmful to the environment.

Or their demand that energy use within homes be reduced by 30% within 5 years. That's completely unattainable without inflicting considerable hardship on ordinary people
Original post by young_guns
I'm wondering if the fact I own a really comfy lambskin spread for my bed would be illegal? Would it be like possessing explosives or some such thing?

Also, the vast majority of people eat meat and don't want their taxes to be spent on trying to get them to stop. Eating meat is nothing like smoking, in fact eating meat is part of a healthy diet and it is what we evolved to do.

Why in the Greens' eyes is it immoral for me to eat meat but not immoral for a lion to eat meat?

Just because the vast majority of people eat meat and only a minority smoke does not give the government the right to persecute those who do. Sin taxation does not change demand.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Just because the vast majority of people eat meat and only a minority smoke does not give the government the right to persecute those who do.

I agree. I'm a smoker myself. But I also recognise there is a difference between taxing in order to deter a behaviour which is extremely harmful to the person doing it, and taxing in order to deter something which is part of ordinary, everyday human existence and has been since the dawn of time.

As a smoker, I understand the harm it does and can do, and so I can accept there is an argument to be made in favour of deterring it.

This has nothing to do with the number of people who do it
(edited 9 years ago)
Superb comment.

I'd also add, their policies for implementing negative growth (i.e. a perpetual recession) and massively reducing energy supply betrays that this has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with hating consumption and a decent standard of living.

I would have thought they would be okay with whatever energy supply is required for our economy and homes, provided it is renewable. Instead, they demand reductions in energy use (and massive ones in a short period, in a way that would be highly destabilising).

Also, their demand that the economy contract betrays the same fervour. It is entirely possible to have a sustainable economic growth based on high levels of renewable energy use and recycling. But that's not what they want; they want the economy to contract.

As you say, it's bonkers and far outside what the vast majority of ordinary people want.

The arguments I've seen from the major Green supporters on here are absurd too. "Endless growth is physically impossible due to finite resources" . Sure, but that analysis assumes the lack of recessions, assumes technology will remain static, and that the resources will always remain nonrenewable, and that the resources used will be the same.

I've forgot his name, but there was this guy in the middle ages or post middle ages (forgot again lol) who predicted that if population increased more than what it was (at the time, the country's population wouldn't have been much more than one million I don't think) then the whole of humanity would be reduced to killing each other for the few remaining resources before we finally died off. Obviously, he was incorrect, becuase he didn't take into account the above.
The Greens Party are taking to the next election the following policies and policy statements to the next election, all of which are directly quoted next to their policy ID number. As you say, bonkers

AR402 To take pressure off wild animals by voluntarily limiting our population

AR410 The Green Party will support a progressive transition from diets dominated by meat and other animal products to healthier diets based on plant foods

HE103 Health services can create dependence on the part of users, which is itself unhealthy

EN110 We will require energy use for space heating, and electrical use to be reduced by a third by 2020, by half by 2030 and by two-thirds by 2050, based on 2012 final energy demand levels.

EN141 We will target energy efficiencies for the UK industrial sector of reductions on 2012 levels of 15% by 2020, 33% by 2030 and 60% by 2050

EC201 Current dependence on economic growth to cease, and allow zero or negative growth

PD443 Legalise membership of terrorist organisations, including Al Qaeda and ISIS

MG203 Richer regions and communities do not have the right to use migration controls to protect their privileges from others in the long term.

MG300 We will work to achieve greater equity between the UK and non-Western countries. In step with this, we will progressively reduce UK immigration controls.

MG403 We will abolish the 'primary purpose' rule under which partners are refused entry if it is thought that the primary purpose of relationship is for them to gain entry to the UK.

NY500 The Green Party will therefore base the right to vote and to stand in elections on residence rather than nationality.

NY511 The concept of nationality is inherently racially discriminatory

NY203 In the long term, the Green Party wishes to see the concept of legal nationality abolished.

NY300 We will work to create a world of global inter-responsibility in which the concept of a 'British national' is irrelevant and outdated.
Original post by KingStannis

I've forgot his name, but there was this guy in the middle ages or post middle ages (forgot again lol) who predicted that if population increased more than what it was (at the time, the country's population wouldn't have been much more than one million I don't think) then the whole of humanity would be reduced to killing each other for the few remaining resources before we finally died off. Obviously, he was incorrect, becuase he didn't take into account the above.

It was Malthus, and you're bang on. What he said was that if population growth continued on its present course (I think he was in the 18th century) then eventually they would run out of food. And as you pointed out, he completely failed to take into account technological advances. These days, just a few percent of the population can grow enough food for everyone.

For some reason, Greens believe it is consumption itself which is wrong, rather than any environmental consequences that may or may not be attributable to particular acts of consumption
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 86
I'm glad you accept that they would legalise membership of Al Qaeda.

The reasoning behind this policy is that Government have labelled groups as terrorist organisations to push their agenda, not because they're actually terrorists, you only have to look at the ANC to realise that. The policy intends to give people accused on terrorism charges the same rights as other criminals, right to legal representation etc. The aim is to repeal the idiotic anti-terrorism laws brought in under Labour.
(edited 9 years ago)
Those two things are questions about what is right in a particular patient's case, which is a medical decision for a doctor.

That is simply not relevant to the claim "Health services create dependence" as a blind, generalised statement which is almost certainly inserted at the behest of the homeopathy wing of the party

Oh you're undoubtedly right in the green parties case, in that they want to, I don't know, cure cancer with raspberry tea as a natural remedy.

But I do think that the NHS is in some ways creating a nanny state snd medicalising people who'd probably be better off at home.

I should add that it should remain few for children and the vulnerable but I think a private system such as Germany's would help prevent this (or at least de politicise it as an issue)
Original post by AyGe
The reasoning behind this policy is that Government have labelled groups as terrorist organisations to push their agenda, not because they're actually terrorists, you only have to look at the ANC to realise that

Which of the currently banned terrorist groups do you believe are comparable to the ANC? Which would you say are merely misunderstood?

By the way, you do realise the armed wing of ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe, was a terrorist organisation? It implemented a campaign of bombings and shootings, and elements of the ANC were extremely violent against other black people they considered their enemies.

Do you know much about Winnie Mandela? Her ANC bodyguards, on her orders, murdered a 14 year old boy called Stompie. They cut his throat and dumped his body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompie_Moeketsi

The policy intends to give people accused on terrorism charges the same rights as other criminals, right to legal representation etc.

Give me an example of how people charged with terrorism offences don't have the same rights as other accused?

If you are under the impression they don't get legal representation, you are mistaken.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Davij038

But I do think that the NHS is in some ways creating a nanny state snd medicalising people who'd probably be better off at home.

Tbh, I'm not sure it's right to say that they're hospitalising people who don't need to be.

One of my best mates is a newly-minted doctor doing his residency, and he tells me about how desperately short of beds they are and what a battle it is every single night. If they can avoid putting someone in a hospital bed and send them home, they do because they simply can't afford to take up a bed with someone who isn't sick.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Which of the currently banned terrorist groups do you believe are comparable to the ANC? Which would you say are merely misunderstood?

By the way, you do realise the armed wing of ANC, Umkhonto we Sizwe, was a terrorist organisation? It implemented a campaign of bombings and shootings, and elements of the ANC were extremely violent against other black people they considered their enemies.

Terrorism has become so subjective, what you consider terrorism I might consider a struggle for freedom. Are you really surprised that the ANC took up arms against their oppressors? Of course there was no justification for attacks on civilians but their aims were freedom not to terrorise.

Give me an example of how people charged with terrorism offences don't have the same rights as other accused?

If you are under the impression they don't get legal representation, you are mistaken.

I can tell you from first hand experience, being detained without charge for 24 hours without legal representation, without any contact with the outside world, while your house is raided, my friend it is you that is mistaken.
Reply 91
The Greens seriously need to stop being part of the loony-left and get real on some issues...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e aí rapaz
This was the one I picked up on and gave a check on the website, and based on just this one that I checked, OP's list is complete spin. They may not be "labour lies", but they are very close to lies. I'm therefore disregarding the whole thing since I've no doubt that the rest is similarly edited to appear controversial.

The policy on the Greens website actually says this:

AR419 The Green Party will end puppy farming by banning the sale of young puppies and kittens unless the mother is present.

​Which is perfectly sensible and would reduce the number of unethical, uncaring backyard breeders, and reduce the number of unwanted/dumped animals. Puppy farming is a horrible thing.

Ah I had a slight suspicion that it was going to be related to puppy farming instead of just 'don't sell puppies', thanks :tongue:
Original post by AyGe
Terrorism has become so subjective, what you consider terrorism I might consider a struggle for freedom. Are you really surprised that the ANC took up arms against their oppressors? Of course there was no justification for attacks on civilians but their aims were freedom not to terrorise.

I can tell you from first hand experience, being detained without charge for 24 hours without legal representation, without any contact with the outside world, while your house is raided, my friend it is you that is mistaken.

Non terror suspects can be detained for longer than 24 hours.

Terrorism is not subjective, but clearly defined. It is the motivation for it that is subjective. If you think that killing people for any cause, outside war, can be reasonable then let's home your friends don't suffer in that reasonable cause.
Universal basic income is actually not a particularly left-wing idea because staunch right-wing figures such as Charles Murray and Milton Friedman newsflash to all neoliberals, your great hero supported this as well what are you going to do? put their support behind it.

While I do like that the Greens are in British politics and influencing the debate leftwards where nobody else is, I do disagree with quite a lot of their policies. As highlighted by the OP their defence, terrorism and immigration policies are utterly ludicrous. They also disagree with nuclear power, would completely refuse any expansion of Britain's manufacturing capacity, and are mainly comprised of upper middle-class hippies and red commies in disguise, and we all know what the latter are like for turning on each other at completely the wrong times.
Reply 95
Original post by Good bloke
Non terror suspects can be detained for longer than 24 hours.

I wasn't suggesting different. I was simply highlighting my personal experience with the Labour's anti-terrorism laws. A non-terror suspect would have had access to a solicitor in the vast majority of cases, this can be denied to a suspected terrorist for up to 36 hours.
Original post by AyGe
Of course there was no justification for attacks on civilians but their aims were freedom not to terrorise

Their aim was to terrorise, it's just that it was to terrorise people you didn't like. There is no such thing as a "freedom bomb".

I can tell you from first hand experience, being detained without charge for 24 hours without legal representation, without any contact with the outside world, while your house is raided, my friend it is you that is mistaken

Are you claiming you were interviewed without legal representation? You're lying.

And if you claim terrorists are charged and convicted without ever having had legal representation, you're lying again
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh, I'm not sure it's right to say that they're hospitalising people who don't need to be.

One of my best mates is a newly-minted doctor doing his residency, and he tells me about how desperately short of beds they are and what a battle it is every single night. If they can avoid putting someone in a hospital bed and send them home, they do because they simply can't afford to take up a bed with someone who isn't sick.

Not so much in terms of hospital beds, in which yes there is usually high demand but more in cases of A&E where people come in with headaches and pretty minor ailments.
Reply 98
Their aim was to terrorise, it's just that it was to terrorise people you didn't like. There is no such thing as a "freedom bomb".

Are you claiming you were interviewed without legal representation? You're lying.

And if you claim terrorists are charged and convicted without ever having had legal representation, you're lying again.

How do you know who I "like" or dislike, you're jumping to conclusions. Quite frankly as I wasn't there I am not going to take a side lol.

And yes I was interviewed without legal representation, you do not no me nor the circumstances surrounding this, so who exactly are you to pass a judgement that I am lying. Also I did not say people who are charged with terrorism offences, I merely said those who are accused.
Original post by AyGe
I wasn't suggesting different. I was simply highlighting my personal experience with the Labour's anti-terrorism laws. A non-terror suspect would have had access to a solicitor in the vast majority of cases, this can be denied to a suspected terrorist for up to 36 hours.

Why did the police detain you? What did they think you had done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending