The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Rejected from a foundation course

Let me tell you the background first:
I failed my AS levels except English (C) due to personal circumstances. As a result I took off a year from studies. During that time I moved out of my house and the area I moved to could not provide me with anywhere to retake my a-levels. However, the local Uni ran courses that would end up getting me a Certificate of Higher Education. So I started the courses and have 40 credits left until it's complete.

Coming back to present. I applied for 3 foundation courses and 2 normal 3-year BA's. So far I have been accepted to BOTH normal courses (one conditional and the other unconditional). I got a rejection from Goldsmiths today which I found out via UCAS. I don't really understand how I can get rejected from a LOWER course?I had previously emailed Goldmiths as I didn't believe my CertHE would be enough to go straight into their 3-year course, and was told that they wouldn't even look further at my application if I applied with my CertHE. But they also said I was a valid candidate for the foundation course.

Sorry for the rant.. Goldsmiths was my first choice and I just feel deflated with this news. I wish they had sent me an email with the rejection, the UCAS update just felt really harsh.
Original post by eeveehoward
Let me tell you the background first:
I failed my AS levels except English (C) due to personal circumstances. As a result I took off a year from studies. During that time I moved out of my house and the area I moved to could not provide me with anywhere to retake my a-levels. However, the local Uni ran courses that would end up getting me a Certificate of Higher Education. So I started the courses and have 40 credits left until it's complete.

Coming back to present. I applied for 3 foundation courses and 2 normal 3-year BA's. So far I have been accepted to BOTH normal courses (one conditional and the other unconditional). I got a rejection from Goldsmiths today which I found out via UCAS. I don't really understand how I can get rejected from a LOWER course?I had previously emailed Goldmiths as I didn't believe my CertHE would be enough to go straight into their 3-year course, and was told that they wouldn't even look further at my application if I applied with my CertHE. But they also said I was a valid candidate for the foundation course.

Sorry for the rant.. Goldsmiths was my first choice and I just feel deflated with this news. I wish they had sent me an email with the rejection, the UCAS update just felt really harsh.

It's hard not getting into your first choice uni, but YOU HAVE 2 OFFERS! :smile::smile::smile: That is really good! Some people JUST get 1.

Could it be the fact that your not suited to a foundation degree ( forexample your predicted grades are higher compared to other applicants etc etc)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by games211
It's hard not getting into your first choice uni, but YOU HAVE 2 OFFERS! :smile::smile::smile: That is really good! Some people JUST get 1.

Could it be the fact that your not suited to a foundation degree ( forexample your predicted grades are higher compared to other applicants etc etc)

I am extremely happy with my offers! The thing is that I was told by the head of department that my grades were right for the course as you don't need formal grades for the course, you don't even need GCSE's. I have wanted to go to Goldsmiths since i was a kid... I really thought i was going to get in
Original post by eeveehoward
I am extremely happy with my offers! The thing is that I was told by the head of department that my grades were right for the course as you don't need formal grades for the course, you don't even need GCSE's. I have wanted to go to Goldsmiths since i was a kid... I really thought i was going to get in

I would suggest emailing/phoning them, and explaining you situation and desire to study at Goldsmiths. You seem really passionate about it :smile: Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by games211
I would suggest emailing/phoning them, and explaining you situation and desire to study at Goldsmiths. You seem really passionate about it :smile: Good luck :smile:

Thanks but if they wanted me they would have offered me a place on a diff course, they can do that as Westminster only offered me a place on English Language and Creative Writing when I applied for English Lit and CW.

I'm going to take it as a loss. A heart breaking one but it just wasn't meant to be. I will probably aim for my conditional as it is at Royal Holloway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending