The Student Room Group

Hardest A levels

Poll

Which of the following is the hardest A level?

So im currently in yr 11 and will be choosing my A level options soon. Im thinking about doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and either geography, economics or Psychology. Ive heard chem maths and bio are 3 of the hardest A levels.
So from the list below which is the hardest:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics
Geography
Psychology

Vote for which you think is the hardest in the poll.
And give you order of hardest to easiest in the comment section
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The hardest one of those given is chemistry. There are harder A-levels though.

From the ones on your list I do/have done:
hardest: chemistry, then biology, then maths

Overall:
hardest 5: additional further maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, maths...

Edit: I do/have done maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, FP3, FP4.
(edited 9 years ago)
I do Geography Maths and Biology at A Level and I'm finding A2 Maths so much harder than any other subjects. Even people who are doing A2 Chemistry are finding A2 Maths difficult (well the C4 aspect of it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Is Further Maths not an option?

(Rhetorical, since I can see that it's not.)
Reply 4
Doing ASs right now and geography is so ridiculously hard despite everyone in my class finding it easy.
Chemistry AS on the other hand is easy so far
I think it's very subjective rating the difficulty of A-LVLs as some are based scientifically or analytically, playing on 2 different important human skills. For example I personally find maths/science easier subjects, as they require mostly just scientific/logic functions. I find subjects such as Psycology/Geography/Economics harder as you have to be more analytical/evaluative - than just providing a right or wrong answer, which I suck at.

At A-LVL however the evaluation skills are only lightly tested in non-science subjects due to strict mark schemes/standardization, so I would say Economics or Maths are tied hardest, as you have to learn a lot of new/complicated skills.

Beyond A-LVL although I would say subjects such as Psycology get harder, as you can learn new skills/algebra/formulae for maths, but it is very hard to improve your ability to evaluate (especially with questions with no wrong answer, where quality of answer is marked). There are of course tips to improve your skills, but I believe certain people are naturally more evaluative than others.
To be honest everyone has different things their good at and it all depends on your strengths out of the list I can only judge from psychology and geography as I take them and in my opinion the work is alright but if you don't keep up with the work and continuously read over your notes your going to struggle so for you I recommend u take the subject which you are most interested in instead of focusing on the difficultly of the subject if that makes sense haha
I do maths, biology, chemistry, geography.

Maths, chemistry, geography, biology in terms of difficulty.
Reply 8
Original post by morgan8002
The hardest one of those given is chemistry. There are harder A-levels though.

From the ones on your list I do/have done:
hardest: chemistry, then biology, then maths

Overall:
hardest 5: additional further maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, maths...

Edit: I do/have done maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, FP3, FP4.

:eek: Wow that must have been lots of hard work.
further maths and physics are the hardest, hands down. no arguments needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by SH0405
Is Further Maths not an option?

(Rhetorical, since I can see that it's not.)

Haha i only included the subjects which i was considering to pick. Further maths is definitely very hard. :smile:
Original post by Tommy1499
further maths and physics are the hardest, hands down. no arguments needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

They aren't in the OP's list. Anyway, additional further is harder than either of those.
I'm doing AS Chemistry, we've done a "the hardest" topics in Unit 2. I did not find them that hard (after having done recap revision and questions0. in my opinion Biology is difficult, theres just so much to do AND you have apply your knowledge. My Biology teacher said its "like learning a new language".
Reply 13
So a few of you have mentioned that you have done or are doing some of the subjects above. I would dearly appreciate if you could post any notes or downloads you may have for any of the subjects. I would be so grateful. I have already started making files for biology, chem, maths and economics with downloaded notes and links to useful sites.
I would be ever so grateful if any of you had any notes that you could maybe pass on to me.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Also thanks to everyone who replied and voted :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Aty100
Haha i only included the subjects which i was considering to pick. Further maths is definitely very hard. :smile:

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by Aty100
So im currently in yr 11 and will be choosing my A level options soon. Im thinking about doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and either geography, economics or Psychology. Ive heard chem maths and bio are 3 of the hardest A levels.
So from the list below which is the hardest:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics
Geography
Psychology

Vote for which you think is the hardest in the poll.
And give you order of hardest to easiest in the comment section
:smile:

Psychology is the easiest subject ever
Reply 16
I take maths, further maths and physics, and i find physics much more challenging than maths and further maths. Objectively though, from what ive heard about chemistry it seems like the hardest.
All "A" Levels are difficult. Just pick what you enjoy. There is absolutely no point wasting your time studying something because you think it will look good on your C.V.

In term's of the end result, maths based subjects are easier to get a good grade in because - if you know your stuff - then you will get a good grade, there is no markers subjectivity. Writing based subjects are inevitably difficult to get a good grade in due to the subjectivity of the marking process. If the marker disagrees with your argument then there is the possibility of them marking you down.

That's all I can say - but from my experience, the work load is the same whatever subject you choose. There is no such thing as an "easy" "A" Level...you're in for a bumpy ride whatever you chose.
I think all of the subjects are hard in their own right... just some require more critical and "traditional" thinking than others...
The sciences and maths will require a lot of individual study and thought and the depth that it goes into is hard.
Economics - I don't know too much about it so can't really comment.
Geo/Psych - I do psych now and have a friend who does geog but we both agree that it's hard in it's own right. Both require a lot of content and recall and the ability to apply knowledge that you've learnt in lessons.
But all in all, all of them will be hard but as long as you read over class notes and start revision early (as well as asking teachers if you're stuck) then you'll be fine. Just remember to keep calm and do something you enjoy! :biggrin:
I do Bio, Chem, Maths, Geography at AS currently.
I don't see how people think Chemistry is the hardest?!?! For me it is definately the easiest one and one I am doing the best in. :confused:
Further maths and Physics surely are more challenging A-levels than these.

Quick Reply

Latest