The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
I think that may be pushing it. I did the PGCE last year and worked 9 hours a week and at times 12. It's doable but it needs good organisation and, if you're lucky, mentors who don't expect that much from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have nothing but respect for you! It'd kill me. I'm barely ever awake when I'm on placement unless I have school or uni work to be doing. Maybe it's because my uni give us insane placements and additional work that kills us? Yesterday was my first day at my new placement and I've already taken a ks5 lesson without supervision and I'm doing a starter with one of my classes today.
At the end of week 2 of my second placement now! It's going really well so far. I'm teaching all English, Reciprocal Reading, Computing and Art this week. Quite intense. Also helping out with whatever else I can whenever I can!
Attempting to drive to school tomorrow. I just KNOW I'm going to park in somebody's space :eek:

Tactics please? Furthest away from the door seems like a good bet :confused:
Did a starter with two classes today. The first class were fine but in the second I felt really uncomfortable as there were two lads who kept laughing every time I spoke. I'm also wondering if its actually worth me doing the course as I don't think I'm going to get enough teaching hours to pass; I need 100 and I've only done 9 so far!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bobble1987
I manage dating by not doing it!! Ahh the benefits of being a mature student and 4 years into marriage!

But now there will be things that you won't be able to do.
Original post by gemmam
Did a starter with two classes today. The first class were fine but in the second I felt really uncomfortable as there were two lads who kept laughing every time I spoke. I'm also wondering if its actually worth me doing the course as I don't think I'm going to get enough teaching hours to pass; I need 100 and I've only done 9 so far!

How does that work?
Original post by Juichiro
How does that work?

I'm going FE and unlike Primary and Secondary where you have two placements you don't have don't have a set number of placements (so you can stay with the same one all year or have several) you just need to complete teaching hours. I only recently started my placement but did some teaching hours before Christmas doing cover.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Universities and schools operate on very different ideas of what is practical. When I was a mentor, I often had to explain some of the basic facts of school life to lecturers who had either never been teachers or had forgotten what it was really like.

:eek:
But now there will be things that you won't be able to do.

Such as..?
Original post by gemmam
I'm going FE and unlike Primary and Secondary where you have two placements you don't have don't have a set number of placements (so you can stay with the same one all year or have several) you just need to complete teaching hours. I only recently started my placement but did some teaching hours before Christmas doing cover.

Going off hours instead of days sounds like a better idea. We need a minimum amount of days (can't remember how many), and I spent about 40 days on my first placement but maybe only realistically taught ten hours. I feel like I haven't actually had any proper experience teaching yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Going off hours instead of days sounds like a better idea. We need a minimum amount of days (can't remember how many), and I spent about 40 days on my first placement but maybe only realistically taught ten hours. I feel like I haven't actually had any proper experience teaching yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is its not easy to get the hours; several other people in my class are in the same position as me and I think theres even one or two who haven't got any at all. A few of us were saying the other week that we'd prefer it if we had two placements like with primary and secondary. I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to go into teaching now and leave and look for a job instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Thing is its not easy to get the hours; several other people in my class are in the same position as me and I think theres even one or two who haven't got any at all. A few of us were saying the other week that we'd prefer it if we had two placements like with primary and secondary. I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to go into teaching now and leave and look for a job instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well surely your uni has a responsibility to ensure you get the hours? You can't pay £9000 and not complete the hours.

Placements are probably easier, I just meant from an experience point of view, I'd feel more confident if I had to do 100 hours.

I'm having doubts too. Nothing wrong with that. I had a friend who did a post 16 pgce last year and she's now doing support work at a sixth form and the pgce really helped her get the job, so I think it can help with other things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Well surely your uni has a responsibility to ensure you get the hours? You can't pay £9000 and not complete the hours.

Placements are probably easier, I just meant from an experience point of view, I'd feel more confident if I had to do 100 hours.

I'm having doubts too. Nothing wrong with that. I had a friend who did a post 16 pgce last year and she's now doing support work at a sixth form and the pgce really helped her get the job, so I think it can help with other things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel confident having done teaching hours; I don't actually feel like I belong anywhere. I regret doing it in the first place as I can't even get work done as I don't have enough teaching experience to reflect on. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to finish the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Such as..?

The things that your partner might not want you to do. Or the things that you can't do if you have a partner.

You are safe (in many ways) but there is not much you can do.
The things that your partner might not want you to do. Or the things that you can't do if you have a partner.

You are safe (in many ways) but there is not much you can do.

Errrrm.... It's not 1950, I do whatever I want regardless of if my husband wants to do the same? It's possble to do different things at the same time? When you say there is not much I can do what on earth are you referring to?! Bizarre!!
Errrrm.... It's not 1950, 1.I do whatever I want regardless of if my husband wants to do the same? 2.It's possble to do different things at the same time? When you say there is not much I can do what on earth are you referring to?! Bizarre!!

1. So you can do X for all X, regardless of if your hubby wants to do the same? Cool. Then let X be "living in the South American rainforests for the next 3 years" or less X be "investing all salary on things for you (clothes, education, food, trips, etc)" or "having a completely different clothes fashion style every week". Do you really think you can any of the previous actions while still staying with your current hubby?

2. Depends how "different" they are. Surely, you can eat a different type of juice every day but can you really say that you can make drastic changes to your behaviour, preferences or/and address and your husband not minding that?

3. I think "there is not much" is a bit of an exaggeration. I just wanted to say that imo being a marriage involves to an extent compromising your freedom for the freedom of your partner. You can't just do what you want without regards of the feelings of your partner. It's a bit like sharing a room with another person, you can't do the things you can do when you are on your own.
1. So you can do X for all X, regardless of if your hubby wants to do the same? Cool. Then let X be "living in the South American rainforests for the next 3 years" or less X be "investing all salary on things for you (clothes, education, food, trips, etc)" or "having a completely different clothes fashion style every week". Do you really think you can any of the previous actions while still staying with your current hubby?

2. Depends how "different" they are. Surely, you can eat a different type of juice every day but can you really say that you can make drastic changes to your behaviour, preferences or/and address and your husband not minding that?

3. I think "there is not much" is a bit of an exaggeration. I just wanted to say that imo being a marriage involves to an extent compromising your freedom for the freedom of your partner. You can't just do what you want without regards of the feelings of your partner. It's a bit like sharing a room with another person, you can't do the things you can do when you are on your own.

i honestly dont think he gives a damn what I choose to wear, nor vice versa. I do what I want, he does what he wants, and WE as a couple do what WE want. No big deal.
i honestly dont think he gives a damn what I choose to wear, nor vice versa. I do what I want, he does what he wants, and WE as a couple do what WE want. No big deal.

You didn't get what I said. As a couple, there are certain things that affect you two. So if you decide to have a baby, that is going to affect you both. If you decide to throw a party at your place every night, that is going to affect you both. And if you decide to dress like a homeless that is going to affect you both. And if you spend 3 years in the SA rainforests that is going to affect you both. That's what I meant. It's like saying that playing loud music at night won't affect your sleeping partner. When you live with other people (be it a room-mate, a flatmate, a neighbour, etc) the actions that you take affect them. The closer you are to others, the more sensitive this causal relationship is. That's what I meant.
You didn't get what I said. As a couple, there are certain things that affect you two. So if you decide to have a baby, that is going to affect you both. If you decide to throw a party at your place every night, that is going to affect you both. And if you decide to dress like a homeless that is going to affect you both. And if you spend 3 years in the SA rainforests that is going to affect you both. That's what I meant. It's like saying that playing loud music at night won't affect your sleeping partner. When you live with other people (be it a room-mate, a flatmate, a neighbour, etc) the actions that you take affect them. The closer you are to others, the more sensitive this causal relationship is. That's what I meant.

May I ask what this has to do with PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
May I ask what this has to do with PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for diverting the topic away. -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending