The Student Room Group

Stupid rules that are set by society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chazwomaq
Which society are you from?

I've never heard this in the UK, although I know it's important in some cultures.

I remember I was told numerous times in school that food should be eaten with the right hand. I went to a school near Colchester
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sorry but that's a load of horse **** :erm:

I would concede that anxiety over fulfilling presumed expectations is a major source of insecurity among young men, but that's a slightly different proposition. Most men bounce back from rejection, most women find it crushing, and few men like the prospect of being out-maled/romanced by a girl getting down on one knee

Fair enough. I only like it when they're hot, personally, and that's not usually the case with girls who approach you, in my experience :s-smilie:

But women have support by other women, men don't they keep to themselves but inside they feel bad and bottle up inside hence why men get pissed off at women because they don't talk about it letting women work over them in the fear of been seen as a sexist pig.

Out maled? she is still the woman of the relationship but it doesn't mean she has to wait for to happen when she can do it herself. All I'm saying what ever men can do women can too, if a woman did that to a male friend, I would just think he got himself a nice girl not thinking he should of done it himself.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Men are hardwired to 'chase' to a certain extent, are bigger risk takers, and less emotional creatures (for a variety of physiological/sociological-psychological reasons I won't bore you with); male attraction also rides a lot more on things they can do stuff about, female attraction is highly aesthetic-centred, ergo, more deeply personal/unchangeable = rejection can be inherently more disturbing for their ego

Some men may try to show less emotion, it's just another 'rule of society', that they must be outwardly masculine. However men don't instigate relationships because of some primal instict, society expects them to, and not because of sociological feelings but due to the stereotype of female weakness. Whilst I may see many more women crying in public than men, I feel this is beacause they can do so without judgement rather than some inherent physiological feature
Original post by Ebony19

Men don't cry (I love it when men can cry it's so nice to comfort them :smile: totally is not emasculating, quite the opposite)

Etc

I need comforting :cry:
If you do not drink alcohol, you are something along the lines of

1) Weird
2) Socially inept
3) A muslim

Actually, another one is if you're muslim then you are potentially a terrorist! :eek:

Yeah, society and the common pawns that follow it like a donkey chasing a carrot can burn.
"If you slap your co-workers on the bum and say 'hey sweet cheeks' you have to attend a sexual harassment seminar and receive a written warning" Stupid ****ing rule set by society.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I need comforting :cry:
Aw come here, you're getting cuddled okay?

(No facilitative smilies apologies, I'm on my phone :smile:)
Original post by MSI_10
If you do not drink alcohol, you are something along the lines of

1) Weird
2) Socially inept
3) A muslim

Actually, another one is if you're muslim then you are potentially a terrorist! :eek:

Yeah, society and the common pawns that follow it like a donkey chasing a carrot can burn.

totally agree with both these statements, I dont drink and get the alcohol one all the time, people think I have serious problems!! when actually I just dont like spending my teenage years getting wasted, throwing up on street corners, falling over, sleeping around and making a total prat out of myself (not every drunk person is like this), its not what I want to do.
Original post by Natalierm2707
totally agree with both these statements, I dont drink and get the alcohol one all the time, people think I have serious problems!! when actually I just dont like spending my teenage years getting wasted, throwing up on street corners, falling over, sleeping around and making a total prat out of myself (not every drunk person is like this), its not what I want to do.

Yeah I hear ya. I just got home today and this guy who was so drunk on the bus was causing such a nuisance for everyone. I even considered contacting the cops since he was close to starting fights..
Original post by Black Cat
Not being able to speak to strangers in publicGender norms

Could you go deeper?
Original post by MSI_10
Yeah I hear ya. I just got home today and this guy who was so drunk on the bus was causing such a nuisance for everyone. I even considered contacting the cops since he was close to starting fights..

Its totally nuts!! I live in Manchester, so whenever I'm coming home late from college I have to pass the student bars and the university street, and all we get is drunks, druggies etc. in the central square in manchester a group of drugged up drunk people hang about shooting needles NEXT TO a childrens park sometimes, but the police are great at taking them away.

honestly though I cant stand being drunk, I love to actually remember my experiences as well, this doesnt stop me going to parties though, I just dont drink and can still have a great time.
"Social" etiquette.
Original post by Ebony19
You must have facebook otherwise you're probably a weirdo not worthy of friendship

Children should always listen to adults because they always know best (some children are more morally tuned in than a lot of adults who've been corrupted by life).

You must never go to the cinema alone

You must always have someone ringing/messaging you otherwise you're a social reject

Men don't cry (I love it when men can cry it's so nice to comfort them :smile: totally is not emasculating, quite the opposite)

Etc

The cinema alone one annoys me. I work weird shift times and when I feel stressed, I head to the cinema alone, get a drink and a popcorn, and for 2/3 hours I'm just relaxed. Nothing to worry about except enjoying the film. It's really therapeutic to go to the cinema alone I find!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being told by everyone that at 15 I was too young to be in love!!!

totally proved them wrong, 3 years and still strong!!!
Original post by Joshale
so does a lot of things in life?

other legal drugs can negatively affect others, e.g. alcohol

or jobs such as going into the Army

lots of things can be 'negatively' but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be illegal, it's about being careful

We need military personnel for obvious reasons.

I think marijuana and a bunch of other drugs not even as bad as alcohol should be legal, albeit heavily taxed to compensate for the negative externalities. Hard drugs worse than alcohol though? They should definitely remain illegal.
A line of people is trying to get through a doorway with two doors and choose to wait to go through only one of the doors...instead of just opening the other one and walk through...

People seem terrified of this but when I take the initiative and open the door then they'll keep it open and use it.
Potential to face prosecution as a result of defending yourself wtf

Getting fined for exceeding an arbitrary, silly, pointless speed limit wtf

Women wearing makeup wtf
Original post by Foo.mp3
Besides the point

Spoiler

Yet you do now, let me guess, purely for reasons of personal hygiene, as an empowered feminist :rolleyes: :rofl:

I go through phases *shrug*

Actually it was spending a lot of time in bikini that did it.
Original post by Joshale
maybe you shouldn't be so ignorant on the topic

Oh. Please explain.
Original post by Joshale
...but for some of them I think they should be legal, the obvious one being weed (which I don't actually smoke)

So you want weed to be made legal even though you don't smoke it?

Quick Reply

Latest