The Student Room Group

Ethnic minorities who don't learn about their culture are a disgrace?

Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so...why should they have to learn about it and not the ethnic majority? Plus, some families purposely don't teach their children their native language in hopes to assimilate them to their new culture.
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I don't think so...why should they have to learn about it and not the ethnic majority? Plus, some families purposely don't teach their children their native language in hopes to assimilate them to their new culture.

They should learn about it because it's where their parents/ancestors come from. It's their history they should take pride in it. You'd be amazed how many asian people (this includes orientals) that don't learn about their own culture and instead throw themselves into the "British culture" - whatever that is anyway - turning their back on their heritage.

Parents who don't teach their kids the value of knowing where you came from are bad parents and in my own opinions disgraceful as they betrayed their own DNA.
Original post by Vestal Priestess
They should learn about it because it's where their parents/ancestors come from. It's their history they should take pride in it. You'd be amazed how many asian people (this includes orientals) that don't learn about their own culture and instead throw themselves into the "British culture" - whatever that is anyway - turning their back on their heritage.

Parents who don't teach their kids the value of knowing where you came from are bad parents and in my own opinions disgraceful as they betrayed their own DNA.

I think it's still a personal decision. If your only connection to the culture of your heritage is you appearance, why should that be important to you?
I'm not an ethnic minority, but I'm American with 5 different European countries in my heritage and I don't see the need to learn about them. In high school I had friends who were African American but none of their relatives are straight from Africa so why would they want to learn about their heritage?
Reply 4
Who are you to judge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learn about whatever you like. You have no obligation
Reply 6
No
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I think it's still a personal decision. If your only connection to the culture of your heritage is you appearance, why should that be important to you?
I'm not an ethnic minority, but I'm American with 5 different European countries in my heritage and I don't see the need to learn about them. In high school I had friends who were African American but none of their relatives are straight from Africa so why would they want to learn about their heritage?

If you don't know where you come from how do you have any idea where you're going? Knowing your past is really important it builds your character, makes you cultured and it also grounds you especially if your ancestors come from a impoverished nation - it makes you connect on a spiritual level and you can also give back.
Original post by Alsklinq
Who are you to judge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It just sickens me tbh. When I see a chinese person that can't read or write chinese. Or a south asian person that has no clue how to speak whatever language their own parents/ancestors speak.

Learning about cultures is incredibly interesting. When the UK one is so bland I wonder why many of you love to pander to the british one instead of your own.
It just sickens me tbh. When I see a chinese person that can't read or write chinese. Or a south asian person that has no clue how to speak whatever language their own parents/ancestors speak.

Learning about cultures is incredibly interesting. When the UK one is so bland I wonder why many of you love to pander to the british one instead of your own.

If you are so obsessed with the culture you originated from, why dont you go and move into that culture?
Original post by College_Dropout
If you are so obsessed with the culture you originated from, why dont you go and move into that culture?

I'm white native of the England. However if I was an ethnic minority I would learn about my own culture just as much as the culture of the country I'm currently in. You shouldn't push your heritage just because you deem it irrelevant. It's quite interesting and life affirming imo.

Why should you take pride in a culture that you just happened to be born into? Isn't taking pride in something only valid if it is your own achievements? You can follow and appreciate that culture if you like but why is it an obligation? Also culture isn't embedded in DNA.
Original post by UncleIroh
Why should you take pride in a culture that you just happened to be born into? Isn't taking pride in something only valid if it is your own achievements? You can follow and appreciate that culture if you like but why is it an obligation? Also culture isn't embedded in DNA.

Every time you look in the mirror you'll see that you're different to the native majority of the country you inhabit one should strive to learn about their own culture and traditions instead of stripping it all away in a bid to conform to gain wider acceptance by said natives. It's pathetic tbh and cowardly.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your culture/country. I encourage anyone who has something positive to be proud of. Instead of making up rules about what you can and cannot be proud how about you encourage young ethnic minorities to do a bit of soul searching. Never visiting your ancestor's/parent's homeland is also in poor taste imo.

A Chinese Brit shouldn't have to learn a whole language that has basically no use here just because you think they should.

I know a bit about part of my culture & heritage but I consider myself English and British first and foremost as that's where I was born and grew up.

The UK is ****ing great by the way.
Original post by Wilfred Little
A Chinese Brit shouldn't have to learn a whole language that has basically no use here just because you think they should.

I know a bit about part of my culture & heritage but I consider myself English and British first and foremost as that's where I was born and grew up.

The UK is ****ing great by the way.

Okay well do you look English?

ps: I agree that the uk is great because it's so diverse. Also I applaud you for at least taking an interest in your parents background.
I don't understand why it's such an issue for someone to be from a certain country and not speak that country's language.

Knowing about your heritage doesn't mean speaking those languages. That'd be a serious challenge for people from mixed race backgrounds (like me!)

Also, it's your opinion but I don't really get how British culture and heritage is "bland"
Okay well do you look English?

ps: I agree that the uk is great because it's so diverse. Also I applaud you for at least taking an interest in your parents background.

Alright cheers, but why should looking English have anything to do with it?

Would a Brit of Polish descent be alright to not learn Polish, but a British Pakistani have to learn Urdu?

This all seems very racist to me.

Never visiting your ancestor's/parent's homeland is also in poor taste imo.

I can't really afford to go to the Caribbean. Burn me at the stake for I have sinned.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Alright cheers, but why should looking English have anything to do with it?

Would a Brit of Polish descent be alright to not learn Polish, but a British Pakistani have to learn Urdu?

This all seems very racist to me.

I can't really afford to go to the Caribbean. Burn me at the stake for I have sinned.

No no. I think you connected two very separate points I made in my previous posts. I only asked if you were white because you said you identify as English. You're british but saying you're English is a stretch this is why I asked if you looked white like the native English.

Culture can't be betrayed, and neither can DNA. I don't understand your perspective at all.
Every time you look in the mirror you'll see that you're different to the native majority of the country you inhabit one should strive to learn about their own culture and traditions instead of stripping it all away in a bid to conform to gain wider acceptance by said natives. It's pathetic tbh and cowardly.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your culture/country. I encourage anyone who has something positive to be proud of. Instead of making up rules about what you can and cannot be proud how about you encourage young ethnic minorities to do a bit of soul searching. Never visiting your ancestor's/parent's homeland is also in poor taste imo.

Actually I don't see myself as being very different to the English majority. I speak the same language/accent as my English friends, share similar tastes, humor etc. I'm not saying that I don't have an interest in my ethnic culture (I still eat the food, celebrate the traditions etc.), but I consider myself British not because I'm trying to gain 'acceptance' but because I was born, raised and educated in this country. I believe that 'pride' is the wrong word, as having pride in something implies it is a personal achievement. Why should your lifestyle be influenced by that of your ancestors? You are free to pursue whatever culture you wish.

Ultimately ethnicity is not linked to culture - anyone can embrace any culture.

Quick Reply

Latest