The Student Room Group

A. level recommendations

So I have finally found a college near me that does A levels for adults. They do infills which means you will be in the same class as 16-19 but it's better than nothing. As the only other college offering adult A levels only allows students to do 2 A levels a year (most med schools require 3 to be sat at the same time) so I'm happy.

Now I need to know what I should take I know I need biology but I am thinking Biology, Chemistry, and one other. Any recommendations would be great. Looking at Southampton, Bristol and imperial

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by auntumn89
So I have finally found a college near me that does A levels for adults. They do infills which means you will be in the same class as 16-19 but it's better than nothing. As the only other college offering adult A levels only allows students to do 2 A levels a year (most med schools require 3 to be sat at the same time) so I'm happy.

Now I need to know what I should take I know I need biology but I am thinking Biology, Chemistry, and one other. Any recommendations would be great. Looking at Southampton, Bristol and imperial

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry is the one you need, Biology makes the most sense to go with it as lots of med schools require it alongside Chemistry. For the other one(s) (are you going to do a fourth AS? Many/most/all(?) places require this), pick subjects you are interested in and will do well in. Do you have any ideas of what you would like to do/what is available?
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
Chemistry is the one you need, Biology makes the most sense to go with it as lots of med schools require it alongside Chemistry. For the other one(s) (are you going to do a fourth AS? Many/most/all(?) places require this), pick subjects you are interested in and will do well in. Do you have any ideas of what you would like to do/what is available?

I get confused people keep telling me Biology I know it's chemistry I need but I will do both of those as I feel they are important. As for the rest I am not sure what is frowned upon and what isn't but I want to chose well as I am a GCSE resit applicant and I will be nearly 28 when applying and both those factors significantly reduce my chances of being accepted. These are the courses available I can choose any of them, I just don't want to make a mistake as I know that the A level choices are very important http://www.brock.ac.uk/sixth-form/a-levels/

I would appreciate any help available. I also found voluntary work in neurology at my local hospital helping patients with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and many other neuro ailments, which I thought was important to get.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I get confused people keep telling me Biology I know it's chemistry I need but I will do both of those as I feel they are important. As for the rest I am not sure what is frowned upon and what isn't but I want to chose well as I am a GCSE resit applicant and I will be nearly 28 when applying and both those factors significantly reduce my chances of being accepted. These are the courses available I can choose any of them, I just don't want to make a mistake as I know that the A level choices are very important http://www.brock.ac.uk/sixth-form/a-levels/

I would appreciate any help available. I also found voluntary work in neurology at my local hospital helping patients with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and many other neuro ailments, which I thought was important to get.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

From that list, I'd say the options that are relatively safe are:

The modern foreign languages; Economics; the English subjects (straight English Literature tends to be the most respected but all of those should be fine); Geography; History; Maths; Physics; Psychology; Religious Studies

The iffy ones I'm tempted to put in the list but am not sure about are:

Classical Civ; Gov&Pol; Philosophy
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove
From that list, I'd say the options that are relatively safe are:

The modern foreign languages; Economics; the English subjects (straight English Literature tends to be the most respected but all of those should be fine); Geography; History; Maths; Physics; Psychology; Religious Studies

The iffy ones I'm tempted to put in the list but am not sure about are:

Classical Civ; Gov&Pol; Philosophy

Ok so I can't stand Religious education because I don't understand it geography isn't my strong point either, history wouldn't be good for me physics I'm iffy with but psychology is good i love sigman Freud.

I think I'll choose chemistry, biology, maths and English as I think they are pretty clear cut. Do I need to do 4 AS But drop one at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ok so I can't stand Religious education because I don't understand it geography isn't my strong point either, history wouldn't be good for me physics I'm iffy with but psychology is good i love sigman Freud.

I think I'll choose chemistry, biology, maths and English as I think they are pretty clear cut. Do I need to do 4 AS But drop one at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

The system has just changed or is in the middle of changing, I think someone said that AS is now something you say at the start you'll only be taking to AS, and you obviously do half the content of an A-level still, but you spread it over the two years and take the exam at the end of the two years... or something. You'll have to find out from someone going into AS year now or the college you'll be attending, because I am far too far removed from A-levels now to know how the system has changed.

Can I ask: is there a particular reason why you're choosing to do A-levels rather than an Access course?
Reply 6
Original post by Ronove
The system has just changed or is in the middle of changing, I think someone said that AS is now something you say at the start you'll only be taking to AS, and you obviously do half the content of an A-level still, but you spread it over the two years and take the exam at the end of the two years... or something. You'll have to find out from someone going into AS year now or the college you'll be attending, because I am far too far removed from A-levels now to know how the system has changed.

Can I ask: is there a particular reason why you're choosing to do A-levels rather than an Access course?

Access courses accepted by med schools I've contacted have said Sussex down, Lambeth and East Anglian Manchester are the only places they accept access from. Lambeth is closet to me and cost £4,731 for the train fair a year as I don't drive. That's going to bankrupt me. Also they said I have to have been out of education for five years but this year I retook my GCSE so would have to wait another 4 years before I can do access I could have done A levels by then and travel is only £1980 if access was possible for me I would jump at it
I hope I am making the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Access courses accepted by med schools I've contacted have said Sussex down, Lambeth and East Anglian Manchester are the only places they accept access from. Lambeth is closet to me and cost £4,731 for the train fair a year as I don't drive. That's going to bankrupt me. Also they said I have to have been out of education for five years but this year I retook my GCSE so would have to wait another 4 years before I can do access I could have done A levels by then and travel is only £1980 if access was possible for me I would jump at it
I hope I am making the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to have been out of education for five years for all Access courses/med schools as far as I'm aware, and I'm not sure you retaking GCSEs would even count as you being in education unless you went somewhere full-time, but yeah, it doesn't sound convenient for you. That's fine. A-levels will be just as acceptable (generally more so) - I just wanted to check that you knew there were other options. It definitely sounds like the right decision to me.
Ronove has already given you some great advice, but I just wanted to add: being a bit older when you apply shouldn't disadvantage you at all; in fact, some med schools seem to like candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have something else to bring to the table (I know that's the case at Sheffield). I would say your GCSE resits and the fact that you're taking A-levels now shows a lot of commitment, and I'd definitely point that out in my Personal Statement (or ask my referee to highlight it) if I were you. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ronove
You don't have to have been out of education for five years for all Access courses/med schools as far as I'm aware, and I'm not sure you retaking GCSEs would even count as you being in education unless you went somewhere full-time, but yeah, it doesn't sound convenient for you. That's fine. A-levels will be just as acceptable (generally more so) - I just wanted to check that you knew there were other options. It definitely sounds like the right decision to me.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1422022131.606703.jpg

They say 5 years I did call to ask them and they said its a busy time of year and can't advise me at this time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by *pitseleh*
Ronove has already given you some great advice, but I just wanted to add: being a bit older when you apply shouldn't disadvantage you at all; in fact, some med schools seem to like candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have something else to bring to the table (I know that's the case at Sheffield). I would say your GCSE resits and the fact that you're taking A-levels now shows a lot of commitment, and I'd definitely point that out in my Personal Statement (or ask my referee to highlight it) if I were you. Good luck! :smile:

I thought I would be at a disadvantage as I can't work as long in the field. How would you highlight that in a PS without coming across the wrong way.

Thank you I will look into that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1422022131.606703.jpg

They say 5 years I did call to ask them and they said its a busy time of year and can't advise me at this time

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just Bristol, not all of them will think that. But anyway, as I said, doing A-levels sounds like a good fit for you, so stick with that plan. It leaves more med schools open to you anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by Ronove
That's just Bristol, not all of them will think that. But anyway, as I said, doing A-levels sounds like a good fit for you, so stick with that plan. It leaves more med schools open to you anyway.

Ok great I'll take A levels then. Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English will be my choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought I would be at a disadvantage as I can't work as long in the field. How would you highlight that in a PS without coming across the wrong way.

Thank you I will look into that.

You mean you won't be working long in the field after you qualify?! We're going to be working until we're in our 60s at least...! :lol: Seriously though, they don't even start thinking about age as a factor until you're at least a decade older than you are now. I have friends who were in their late 30s when they started Medicine and it didn't come up as an issue for them. You'll be fine.

As for my PS, I'd say something along the lines that while I am aware that I haven't followed the traditional path, I hope that the fact that I have chosen to undertake several years' study as an adult in order to be eligible to apply demonstrates my commitment and strong work ethic... something like that. Turn it into a positive. :smile:
Reply 14
You mean you won't be working long in the field after you qualify?! We're going to be working until we're in our 60s at least...! :lol: Seriously though, they don't even start thinking about age as a factor until you're at least a decade older than you are now. I have friends who were in their late 30s when they started Medicine and it didn't come up as an issue for them. You'll be fine.

As for my PS, I'd say something along the lines that while I am aware that I haven't followed the traditional path, I hope that the fact that I have chosen to undertake several years' study as an adult in order to be eligible to apply demonstrates my commitment and strong work ethic... something like that. Turn it into a positive. :smile:

Yes that's what I meant. Thank you for reassuring me I have had doubts because of my age so it's a relief to know it's not a disadvantage. That's an excellent way of explaining it thank you I will mention it. Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes that's what I meant. Thank you for reassuring me I have had doubts because of my age so it's a relief to know it's not a disadvantage. That's an excellent way of explaining it thank you I will mention it. Thanks again

You're welcome! I was 25 when I started, and as I say, several of my friends were in their 30s. I believe there's someone in the year above who started in their 40s; mature students really aren't a rare breed at medical school. :smile: Good luck with your application!
Reply 16
You're welcome! I was 25 when I started, and as I say, several of my friends were in their 30s. I believe there's someone in the year above who started in their 40s; mature students really aren't a rare breed at medical school. :smile: Good luck with your application!

That's great I am glad it's not frowned upon, see I can't discuss anything with my family because they say I am not young and therefore not beneficial. My mum wants me to be a barrister she doesn't understand I want to be a doctor if I don't try I will always regret it. Thank you for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't realise you meant that - if it makes you feel better I'll mention that I'm an 'oldie' too - I'm starting in a few days and I'm 27 in a month!
Reply 18
Original post by Ronove
I didn't realise you meant that - if it makes you feel better I'll mention that I'm an 'oldie' too - I'm starting in a few days and I'm 27 in a month!

Ah not the only mature student on here then, Where are you starting? Thanks for all you help I have woken up this morning feeling like the world has been lifted of my shoulders. Thank goodness we are not too old. When looking at the entry requirement say for Southampton it say mature non graduate I am guessing that's related to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally agree with Ronove she gave me some excellent advice listen to her and you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending