The Student Room Group

Is she really *this* busy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Antifazian
You sound like you're being a bit self-centred about this - her desire for space has nothing to do with you, she has a lot of work to do, is likely as simple as that!

You need to get used to the idea that your relationship is not the most important thing in her life right now, she is rightly prioritising her degree over it. You should want to support her in that. Even if she does mostly want to go to Bath because it's the best uni for her master's, so what, she's being smart about things.

Just suck it up right now, encourage her with her coursework, and look forward to spending more time together in the Summer.

so 2 questions

a) how would you feel if he was the one in 3rd year/doing Masters and needing space

b) How would you react if she chose to broke up with him now during this time, because he wasn't being ambitious enough in the interim etc.?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
so 2 questions

a) how would you feel if he was the one in 3rd year/doing Masters and needing space

b) How would you react if she chose to broke up with him now during this time, because he wasn't being ambitious enough in the interim etc.?

There's no need to flip this around bro.
Original post by Dodgypirate
One of those guys, indeed :biggrin:

look mate I'm just warning you.
(edited 9 years ago)
look mate I'm just warning you, I saw my dad get divorce-raped by my mum, nothing is innocent where sex is involved. It's a biological world devoid of the social demand for morality we have created, and if you give her any reason to dump you, she is likely to jump on it. This means a) if you complain about not getting to see her, the women will hate you for selfish and weak demeanour-LOOK at the responses to your insecurity, b) if you do not improve yourself in the interim esp. career-wise, you will receive little sympathy in the worst case scenario…it happened to me!

I have witnessed these boards for long enough to know that, except in heartless-bitch gladly-cheats scenario where they're like 'you deserve better' because of the denial they would ever do that that comes from emotional etachment, there is a general pro-women bias to counter the occasional stupid misogynist troll thread. It's a product of both the age group of this site and the times, I warn you now because when this thread gets moved I'll be unable to discuss it with you.

Stopped reading :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
There's no need to flip this around bro.

there's not? Eh, you're the one saying you got insecure about the idea of distance and minimal contact. The ladies here (with the odd exception) did not sympathise with you for it, I warned you of the stakes at hand, it's your call now, read between the lines.
there's not? Eh, you're the one saying you got insecure about the idea of distance and minimal contact. The ladies here (with the odd exception) did not sympathise with you for it, I warned you of the stakes at hand, it's your call now, read between the lines.

You missed the point :wink:
Stopped reading :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

good luck to you then. Remember: if you say or show you're insecure, you are ****ed. Make the most of yourself in this siesta, and when she comes back remind her why you are the **** and had no need to worry. You have very few other options that end happily.
good luck to you then. Remember: if you say or show you're insecure, you are ****ed. Make the most of yourself in this siesta, and when she comes back remind her why you are the **** and had no need to worry. You have very few other options that end happily.

"Divorce-raped" :rolleyes: ...
"Divorce-raped" :rolleyes: ...

the divorce was traumatic for all parties, particularly my dad.
(edited 9 years ago)
evicted from the house, 70-30 equity split after promised a 5-50, meant he took up 2 jobs works 60 hour week. Developed depression, Mum used this against him to say why he was unfit for child custody in court. Mum cheated on him with my now stepdad and now works 40 hrs max. Dad paid part of mortgage of old house to Mum as part of equity split for apx. 3 years. My sister will only associate with him as father if he agrees to the terms Mum was right, he was abusive and did not deserve us.

Poor you :frown:

Spoiler

Sad you call it "divorced-raped" lol

He obviously did something very wrong I'm sorry to say.
You missed the point :wink:

I missed no point. I said you have to trust

a) you are good enough for her not to reconsider during time away, so will not show insecurity about the situation HOWEVER you feel

b) You can tangibly SHOW how you are a keeper i.e. self-improvement in interim (or yes the insecurity WILL creep on you)

c) if she leaves to focus on career/Masters (50-50) or meets someone else/cheats (which she might, 20-80 probability imo) it's her loss anyway, and she senses this

Women hate neediness bro. They also hate me for understanding some of the rules.
Reply 71
haha I cannot conceive of a gf making this compromise in reverse, sorry to say.

This is unfortunately probably true...if the situation was flipped I am fairly sure that the responses would be a lot different...

About me saying about compromise, that is why so few people can maintain long relationships, as in this age both sexes wants and expectations of their partners have reached an un-achievable level

Even in today's modern world, there are still embargo's about relationships and how they 'supposedly' should be...

I agree with Dodgypirate, flipping the situation is not needed. The thread should be focused on helping the guy out, not flipping the issue to see how people would react...if the boot was on the other foot
Poor you :frown:

Spoiler

Sad you call it "divorced-raped" lol

He obviously did something very wrong I'm sorry to say.

don't bad-mouth my dad, please.
(edited 9 years ago)
yes my dad is such a pathetic little **** who deserves to die that Mum should cheat on him.

Settle down sweetums, don't bring your family's woes into my thread!
Original post by JBurt
This is unfortunately probably true...if the situation was flipped I am fairly sure that the responses would be a lot different...

About me saying about compromise, that is why so few people can maintain long relationships, as in this age both sexes wants and expectations of their partners have reached an un-achievable level

Even in today's modern world, there are still embargo's about relationships and how they 'supposedly' should be...

I agree with Dodgypirate, flipping the situation is not needed. The thread should be focused on helping the guy out, not flipping the issue to see how people would react...if the boot was on the other foot

yes but only one gender is expected to compromise on those unachievable levels, to be very frank. The fact he has no sympathy for my dads divorce 's symptomatic of the way this generation regards disenfranchised men. It's necessary to me, because it gives him time to prepare not to be bitter when he realises, the situation is unfair.
so 2 questions

Gender makes no difference. The OP just needs to accept that his girlfriends degree comes before him.
Settle down sweetums, don't bring your family's woes into my thread!

I'm trying to help you realise, in a very brutal and somewhat sexist way, that your insecurity will for better or worse ruin the relationship.

Good luck.
Original post by JBurt

Thanks to Bandicoot this is turning into a "herr derr gender equality thing"
Original post by OU Student
Gender makes no difference. The OP just needs to accept that his girlfriends degree comes before him.

I'm one of the few who gave OP sympathy for his feelings of insecurity, the terms 'suck it up' and 'you're selfish' were used. Gender makes a difference, because it helps him realise that there is more to this than what is being said-because there is.
Original post by OU Student

Which I have no thanks to the majority of you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending