The Student Room Group

Stupid rules that are set by society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParzivaI
Some men may try to show less emotion, it's just another 'rule of society', that they must be outwardly masculine. However men don't instigate relationships because of some primal instict, society expects them to, and not because of sociological feelings but due to the stereotype of female weakness. Whilst I may see many more women crying in public than men, I feel this is beacause they can do so without judgement rather than some inherent physiological feature

oh gawd and the floodgates will open
16 to join the Army

18 to play CoD/GTA/Manhunt legally

idek
Original post by Frostyjoe
No I hate the way men are expected not to cry when sometimes I actually want to and need to cry.

Its actually good to cry (for me) as it gets all the horrible feelings out.

the problem is that if you cry over the wrong thing (read: not traumatic enough) women will see you as a pussy and friend zone you even if they were previously interested. Attraction is amoral

as a general rule one should try to reserve tears of pain for death, funerals or expectant death, perhaps a very rough break-up; tears of joy for weddings, baptisms/Bar Mitzvahs, graduations, etc.
Original post by SweatHeart
If you're a gamer you're "such a boy"

the reason for this is largely to do with the maternal-erotic instinct, and to some extent hypergamy. Quite simply a man who regularly works out and pursues other higher-level ambitions is more likely to be disciplined when it comes to career path, and also more likely to stick around when the going gets tough (sleepless nights etc.) in the face of Baby, or other threats. All in all the hunter-gatherer protector-provider instinct is not felt as strongly with a passive gamer which suggests potential lack of responsibility or lack of ambitions i.e. what is colloquially known as 'man child' status.
Original post by SA-1
That "killing" is accepted as a joke but "raping" isn't.

"OMG I'm going to kill you!!!"
"Wow, Arsenal killed city"
"He/she is killing his/her exams"

vs

"OMG I'm going to rape you!!!"
"Wow, Arsenal raped city"
"He/she is raping his/her exams"

How is killing any more acceptable, even as a joke, than raping?

I think it's because Arsenal 'killing' City, girl 'killing' her exams etc. is simply an accepted and rather impersonal figure of speech for rather ruthlessly dominating them ['they' in this instance actually being 'it', abstract concepts such as football teams or exams), whereas 'OMG I'm going to rape you!' is kind of just a bit assault.

I have used the term 'mind rape' to refer to an incredibly head-ache inducing concept e.g. Akira, Shutter Island, Memento but I have never said 'I raped you' 'she raped him/her' as that could offend abuse victims in a much more personal way.
Reply 145
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I think it's because Arsenal 'killing' City, girl 'killing' her exams etc. is simply an accepted and rather impersonal figure of speech for rather ruthlessly dominating them ['they' in this instance actually being 'it', abstract concepts such as football teams or exams), whereas 'OMG I'm going to rape you!' is kind of just a bit assault.

I have used the term 'mind rape' to refer to an incredibly head-ache inducing concept e.g. Akira, Shutter Island, Memento but I have never said 'I raped you' 'she raped him/her' as that could offend abuse victims in a much more personal way.

Precisely. My point is that why is "killing" accepted as a figure of speech, and "raping" is considered offensive and/or abusive? Both victims in each case have had their lives ruined.

Why does society accept one and reject the other? Either be able to use both, or use non.
Original post by Raymat
You are not considered intelligent and don't deserve respect if you don't succeed in education.

this is again patriarchy/hypergamy. Absence of/poor education is highly correlated with (but not causative of) poor employment prospects, low income/social status, which makes one essentially inferior in the male social hierarchy and a less attractive mate to hetero-females.
Original post by SA-1
Precisely. My point is that why is "killing" accepted as a figure of speech, and "raping" is considered offensive and/or abusive? Both victims in each case have had their lives ruined.

Why does society accept one and reject the other? Either be able to use both, or use non.

I really do my utmost not to use the word killing when around a homicide/suicide/mamslaughter victim, however I've met very few :/

the use of the word 'rape' in the context of 'destroy' is a fairly recent colloquial product of LAD culture, 'kill' is more early 90s onwards British slang.

I can see where you're coming from here, though. Perhaps it's because rape is rather obviously sexual and in a negative way, too sexually explicit for the public domain? One of those violence/sex double standard taboos :shrug
Original post by SA-1
Ladies first

this is a timeless concept called male disposability. Do some research, it's frightening.
You're considered weird or it's thought that there is something wrong with you if haven't had a long term relationship by your mid-twenties.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
now this, this one here is down to 2 things

i) internalised misogyny

ii) the ball sack might get a bit chilly

I was in a T shirt and jeans in one party and got jealous that the girls were wearing mini skirts :cry2:
Original post by And then...
Whats classed as the central square in Manchester? I'd say Piccadilly but thats not excatly near student bars, the universitys or colleges and I seriously doubt anyone shoots up there.

I class picadilly gardens as manchesters "central" square just because it is basically a hub for all the transport links, I dont go there very often but everyone I ask says Piccadilly gardens??

Seriously people do, if you go very late at night or early in the morning there are sometimes needles lying around under the benches or on the paths near the kids playground (that snail slide thing), its so weird, but to be fair apart from the homeless and the drunks picadilly gardens at this time of year only has passer by, hence why it is more common i suppose to see bottles and needle, in the summer its always packed so less so then.

Im not a Uni student, I live in manchester so dont really hang around any of the university bars too often.
Original post by Natalierm2707
I class picadilly gardens as manchesters "central" square just because it is basically a hub for all the transport links, I dont go there very often but everyone I ask says Piccadilly gardens??

Seriously people do, if you go very late at night or early in the morning there are sometimes needles lying around under the benches or on the paths near the kids playground (that snail slide thing), its so weird, but to be fair apart from the homeless and the drunks picadilly gardens at this time of year only has passer by, hence why it is more common i suppose to see bottles and needle, in the summer its always packed so less so then.

Im not a Uni student, I live in manchester so dont really hang around any of the university bars too often.

You say you don't go there often then go onto spout a load of rubbish about what you claim is a regular occurance (your first post), I live in the northern quarter and don't agree with a single thing you've just said. Sure theres homeless people around but they're not openly shooting up, nor is there drunks everywhere.
If you're a Muslim, you owe the world explainations for what others do who have nothing to do with you.

If you're British but from a foreign background and don't like something about the UK or the West, the answer is always to 'go to another (your own) country'.

It's okay to wipe your butt with just toilet paper (and not wash with water).
Original post by SarahLund
You're considered weird or it's thought that there is something wrong with you if haven't had a long term relationship by your mid-twenties.

Well to be fair, one would be weird, as in, abnormal, if they hadn't had a long term relationship while being in their mid-twenties.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Well to be fair, one would be weird, as in, abnormal, if they hadn't had a long term relationship while being in their mid-twenties.

Hmm yeah I get that from/during that period of life then it would be a bit odd. I just find it strange that people expect you to have had one by then.

I suppose it's just me though, I just think a lot of other things are more important than that so I don't see not having a relationship is much of an issue :smile:
Reply 156
You're arrogant if you have high aspirations. "I can't believe I got 85% in my exam and not 95%!" Is seen as something that simply shouldn't be said.
Original post by TorpidPhil
We need military personnel for obvious reasons.

I think marijuana and a bunch of other drugs not even as bad as alcohol should be legal, albeit heavily taxed to compensate for the negative externalities. Hard drugs worse than alcohol though? They should definitely remain illegal.

and I agree hard drugs like heroin, meth should stay legal, but MDMA isn't a hardcore drug, which I was mainly on about
Original post by Balloon Baboon
So you want weed to be made legal even though you don't smoke it?

it's called not being ignorant?
Original post by Joshale
it's called not being ignorant?

You still haven't explained how I am being ignorant. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest