The Student Room Group

Need advice for a really petty problem

To many people, this is going to sound like a really petty problem but I thought I'd come here for advice first before 'escalating' things (I really don't want to have to do this for something so small)

I can't be exactly sure and don't want to point fingers at my flatmates but it is a regular occurrence that if I buy a bottle of fizzy drink, it will magically go down without me drinking it (I have even measured it at points!)

I have only been back at uni for a day, and the bottle of coke I bought has gone down 4 whole times!

And yes, I am in a flat of 6 and have talked to the group, not once, but on numerous occasions and there were only 2 other flatmates in yesterday so I have talked to them both, yet it has been drunk again afterwards!

I have also had the unpleasant episode of finding a bottle of fizzy drink 'contaminated' with water at one point so surely, if I have asked them to stop (which I have on multiple occasions) I am not overreacting?

What can I do to get them to stop? I would rather not get anyone else involved but if it continues I think I will have to - at the moment I am just resorting to keeping the drinks in my room but I think it's quite unfair not having them chilled for such a stupid reason
Reply 1
Original post by Hicko
To many people, this is going to sound like a really petty problem but I thought I'd come here for advice first before 'escalating' things (I really don't want to have to do this for something so small)

I can't be exactly sure and don't want to point fingers at my flatmates but it is a regular occurrence that if I buy a bottle of fizzy drink, it will magically go down without me drinking it (I have even measured it at points!)

I have only been back at uni for a day, and the bottle of coke I bought has gone down 4 whole times!

And yes, I am in a flat of 6 and have talked to the group, not once, but on numerous occasions and there were only 2 other flatmates in yesterday so I have talked to them both, yet it has been drunk again afterwards!

I have also had the unpleasant episode of finding a bottle of fizzy drink 'contaminated' with water at one point so surely, if I have asked them to stop (which I have on multiple occasions) I am not overreacting?

What can I do to get them to stop? I would rather not get anyone else involved but if it continues I think I will have to - at the moment I am just resorting to keeping the drinks in my room but I think it's quite unfair not having them chilled for such a stupid reason

Is it not possible for you to get a mini fridge in your room? Or does your uni not allow that?

Also, do you all kinda share food/drink in your flat or is it strictly an everyone for themselves sort of thing?

I agree that in some ways it is slightly petty but if you bought it with your own money and everyone's getting to it before you even do without offering to replace then that is annoying and disrespectful. They should at least offer to replace it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Not allowed a mini-fridge and anyway being 'forced' to buy one I shouldn't have to do

No, we don't share food the only time we would do that is if we got a takeaway which doesn't really count... only stuff we might share is like salt, vinegar, sauce you know that kind of stuff

They don't ask me for 'permission' and it is technically my drink as we don't share, what is stupid is that yesterday I actually got asked by flatmate X but then he just drinks more without asking anyway
Just set them up with a "dodgy" one, if they complain you tell why are you my food without permission.

I lived with 15 people in a kitchen before I know how things go down.
Reply 4
Original post by Hicko
Not allowed a mini-fridge and anyway being 'forced' to buy one I shouldn't have to do

No, we don't share food the only time we would do that is if we got a takeaway which doesn't really count... only stuff we might share is like salt, vinegar, sauce you know that kind of stuff

They don't ask me for 'permission' and it is technically my drink as we don't share, what is stupid is that yesterday I actually got asked by flatmate X but then he just drinks more without asking anyway

Ok, I was just thinking that if they ask you beforehand and make sure to replace or give you the money for it at least they would actually be respecting/acknowledging it's yours. My housemates sometimes do this and it's not an issue.

I don't see how this can be resolved to be honest, I mean you could have another go at talking to them about it but sounds like you've done this many times before to no effect. Unless you were to make a really big fuss about it to them, which I personally wouldn't do because it's only over a bottle of coke, I don't see how you can resolve this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Btw is this the only issue you've got with your flatmates or is there others as well? Sounds like they're taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile
just write your name on the bottle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by goodwinning
Ok, I was just thinking that if they ask you beforehand and make sure to replace or give you the money for it at least they would actually be respecting/acknowledging it's yours. My housemates sometimes do this and it's not an issue.

I don't see how this can be resolved to be honest, I mean you could have another go at talking to them about it but sounds like you've done this many times before to no effect. Unless you were to make a really big fuss about it to them, which I personally wouldn't do because it's only over a bottle of coke, I don't see how you can resolve this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hmm... I don't think as a flat I'm not liked too much in the first place (without going into the details I got left out of house discussions for next year really harshly - I'm in 1st year by the way) but I haven't let it 'bother' me as such I just try to act like everything is normal.

The thing about it is I'm pretty sure its two of the lads who do it and in the past when some of the others have asked me for something (including drinks) I just gave it to them and most of the times (didn't ask for) wouldn't receive anything in return (I don't mind) and the lads who are doing it are in the room!

I know you aren't in my situation so it's hard to say but we have a 'residence mentor' who comes round to the flats every so often (he's a nice guy) and I was thinking of blatantly bringing it up there and then when we are as a group or would this just be seen as ratty?
Reply 8
I'm not surprised at that, my initial impression from your post was that they clearly don't like or respect you enough to stop doing it even though you've said something a number of times.

If it's bothering you that much then yes, I would just bring it up when your flat mentor comes round and see if he can do anything to sort it. Also, sounds like you won't be living with them next year so it doesn't really matter if they think you're ratty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Contaminate with something unpleasant like a drop of washing up liquid or something and they'll never touch your stuff again
It seems to me that they're taking liberties and take whatever they want. My brother lived with two room-mates. He had the same problem until one day he started to take there things.Slowly but surely, they started to get annoyed and had to put a sign on all of their items. My brother told them the truth and they stopped. After a while they started again. in the end my brother cooked food and left in the fridge, knowing that they were going to eat it. When my brother arrived they both had angry looks on their faces; my brother had put chilli in it!

To cut long story short, put something they hate in the drink or food, confess and they will eventually be reluctant to try again your food. Or you could tax the item for each of your room-mates.
:colone:
Reply 11
Original post by goodwinning
Btw is this the only issue you've got with your flatmates or is there others as well? Sounds like they're taking the piss

Posted from TSR Mobile

only just saw this the only 'issue' was over a house for next year but I had friends from school that also came to this uni so I'm fine.

Otherwise I think its fine personally or at least I'm making it that way if that makes sense. Don't really want to get down over people drinking a bottle of coke haha it's just annoying for them not to ask
Reply 12
Contaminating obviously sounds like a good idea but then wouldn't I just be wasting my own stuff? I'm going to try it on a coke bottle that is nearly empty and see what happens
I'd be tempted to buy cans and write my name on them - if they then disappear it is harder to hide the evidence.

I agree that I'd bring it up when the mentor next comes; it is stealing at the end of the day.
don't make too much of a bug deal t the end of the day though, it's only a drink and its best not to fall out with room mates over it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Contaminate with something unpleasant like a drop of washing up liquid or something and they'll never touch your stuff again

Liquid laxative.
Original post by amigafan2003
Liquid laxative.

This was going to be my suggestion too! Would certainly make your point but no one could say anything to you about it without outing themselves as nicking your drink.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moved from Uni Life to Student Accommodation
Just a few thoughts, maybe leave the bottle outside your window? it's still cold outside.

Setting up a dodgy bottle sounds like the best way of dealing with it. you could either spike it, which, as it sounds is a stupid idea, or you could use UV ink on it and then just see who's doorhandle glows under UV Light?

You could spit in it. that might put them off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending