The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not been to Uni then anything base 18k would be a good salary.
Reply 2
Original post by Stefano93
Not been to Uni then anything base 18k would be a good salary.

And if you have been to uni?
Original post by HarryDn
And if you have been to uni?

Well it depends on what field you go into, but I would say starting graduate placements of 20-25k are the norm for most people who have graduated.
Depends entirely on what field you're going into, but I think 25-30K is a decent salary at that age. But obviously if you're going into certain fields you'll be expecting more than that.
Reply 5
Original post by HarryDn
Whether a graduate or someone who never went to uni.

What is a good/excellent salary? :cool:

tagging you in as you knew a lot on my last thread :smile:

Depends heavily on location, number of children and whether you have a partner who also works.
Reply 6
Original post by tengentoppa
Depends entirely on what field you're going into, but I think 25-30K is a decent salary at that age. But obviously if you're going into certain fields you'll be expecting more than that.

Which ones? For stuff like law you generally begin at 22 (e.g. if you're a solicitor/do the lpc) but obv there are more. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
Depends heavily on location, number of children and whether you have a partner who also works.

london, single, no
Reply 8
Original post by HarryDn
london, single, no

£28k
Reply 9
neverlosehope
x

Would be good to hear your opinion too! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
£28k

Why not 25k, or 30k? Is that the average salary? :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by HarryDn
Why not 25k, or 30k? Is that the average salary? :redface:

Because I'd say 25k was good for outside of London. And 30k is above good :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Reue
Because I'd say 25k was good for outside of London. And 30k is above good :wink:

So if I make 30k in London am i balling? :lol:

How about when I'm 22, 23, 25 etc. How much is a good salary then?
Minimum wage. :cool:
Either you guys are over-ambitious or I am too content. There aren't loads of jobs offering 30k for graduates fresh out of uni. I think anywhere between £20k - £27k is acceptable and realistic... as well as good.
Original post by HarryDn
Which ones? For stuff like law you generally begin at 22 (e.g. if you're a solicitor/do the lpc) but obv there are more. :smile:

Good point on law, although BT offers the LPC within the training contract so you can start earning right away.

IB, Management consulting, the EU and oil companies would all offer high salaries as well.

Aldi offer graduates 41k and an Audi so that's not bad either.
Reply 16
Original post by HarryDn
So if I make 30k in London am i balling? :lol:

How about when I'm 22, 23, 25 etc. How much is a good salary then?

30k london salary = around 23/4k outside london salary due to cost of living.

Your not 'balling' round london unless your on a £60-75k salary which is unachievable at such a young age, being realistic, unless you got a hefty hedge fund behind you.

A good salary can be anything, so long as it can support your activities and living expenses.
Anything above 16k imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest at 21 the graduate and the non-grad will probably be expecting about the same, assuming roughly equal ability. The graduate has a degree, the other guy should have ~3 years experience which can be enough to make up for it in the short term. The grad will improve faster.
I'm on about 20ish and if I wasn't living on London id be fine but as I an I could do with a few grand more so 24k would be good, I'm a recent grad :smile:

Latest