The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spanker
GAP year, deciding what I want to do.
University next year, unless I decide I want to do an apprenticeship or something else.

What tips could you give to getting Distinction, Distinction.(Also I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, and Geography with it. So I'm only doing the national certificate. Plus i'm dropping Geog at A2).
Any reply is much appreciated.
Original post by Michael_98
What tips could you give to getting Distinction, Distinction.(Also I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, and Geography with it. So I'm only doing the national certificate. Plus i'm dropping Geog at A2).
Any reply is much appreciated.

It is easy to get a distinction, just keep on top of your assignments.
They are not difficult, some are just fairly long, when you get a long one just do a little every day or something.
Im doing a BTEC single award in engineering so 6 units alongside A2 biology and chemistry so I emailed my preferred unis who do pharmacy and these include Bath and Cardiff and they both said its fine and they'll accept it. Woop . I'm in year 13 and just started the BTEC to replace maths I does dropped and I've managed to complete most of unit one since school started and I'm independtly doing the unit 2 maths which is fairly easy . so when you guys think I can complete 6 units in if I keep on top of work and work outside class? I want to mainly focus on my bio and chem as they're more important for my course at uni
All depends on your teachers, because they are the ones who give the assignments needed to pass the units.

Some units cannot be completed until you have done the class, for example some of the electrical subjects (if you have these) may require you to do a little project in class and take a photo of it and add that to the assignment.
Original post by spanker
It is easy to get a distinction, just keep on top of your assignments.
They are not difficult, some are just fairly long, when you get a long one just do a little every day or something.

Ok thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I have just finished the Level 3 course, and I agree that it is quite easy, as long as you consistently try. About half way through the first year I started to coast and just get by. Towards the end of the second year I realised I wasn't going to get the grades I needed for uni unless I got my ass in gear. Ended up getting the grades I needed after about 3 months of bringing up most of my units to merits and distinctions. As long as you don't do what I did, and you keep on top of everything, it shouldn't be too difficult for anybody to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hi, all

I just recently saw your posts about Btec Extended diploma in Engineering level 3 and I think you all have completed the course. I have recently started this course and I wanted to know if you could give me some advice about how to study & do my assignments and also any book or any other particular material that you would recommend for this course.

I hope to hear from you.

Thank you all
Reply 28
Original post by spanker
Yeah got distinction in all the maths and mechanical principles. Distinction in all first year subjects, second year I wasn't enjoying it so got 1 pass, rest merits+ (distinction in project - easy just long winded). Finished overall with a DD*D*.

Hi,

I just recently saw your post about Btec Extended diploma in Engineering level 3 and I think you have completed the course. I have recently started this course and I wanted to know if you could give me some advice about how to study & do my assignments and also any book or any other particular material that you would recommend for this course.

I hope to hear from you.

Thank you,
your sincerely,
hiday
Original post by hidaya
Hi,

I just recently saw your post about Btec Extended diploma in Engineering level 3 and I think you have completed the course. I have recently started this course and I wanted to know if you could give me some advice about how to study & do my assignments and also any book or any other particular material that you would recommend for this course.

I hope to hear from you.

Thank you,
your sincerely,
hiday

Just replied to your PM.
Reply 30
Is there anywhere i can get notes - I'm in the first year
Original post by Yuki_

I'm in second year, You're much better creating your own notes, Reinforces the info in your brain, Plus how I write my notes is different to everyone else so won't be as effective for you.
Yea probably was for you then, now it's different because teachers don't even give you much help and the stuff they teach us a bit isn't even relevant to the assignment -_________-
Original post by Yuki_

I know it's late but you can use it to help you in the next yea for mechanical principles, further mechanical principles, electrical and electonic principle, maths for techs as well as further maths for techs. The website is

www.freestudy.co.uk
My advice for anyone whom is planning to take this course. Don't. Take a-levels instead.
Original post by Sam Walters
My advice for anyone whom is planning to take this course. Don't. Take a-levels instead.

Why I'm taking it and it seems ok
Original post by Michael_98
Why I'm taking it and it seems ok

Get to the other side of it and see what your prospects are. Its a qualification that holds me back. Hence why I've had to do a-levels whilst working full time. Despite achieving the maximum grade. All in all. Realistic values to what its worth at a-level at 80% of unis are D to D D* to D*. However. In the uni`s worth bothering with. Well.....it might get you onto a foundation year.

Taking maths, further maths and physics would have been a better idea. By far.
Get to the other side of it and see what your prospects are. Its a qualification that holds me back. Hence why I've had to do a-levels whilst working full time. Despite achieving the maximum grade. All in all. Realistic values to what its worth at a-level at 80% of unis are D to D D* to D*. However. In the uni`s worth bothering with. Well.....it might get you onto a foundation year.

Taking maths, further maths and physics would have been a better idea. By far.

Sorry for the late reply but I'm taking the diploma alongside AS Chemistry, Bio, and Geog with maths and further maths units. I've atleast 7 unis that accept in combination with A Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh there are plenty of uni`s that accept it.

But top 10 uni`s? Depends on what you want really.

Cambridge say they will accept it. But you will need D*D*D* along with A* in mathematics. This is what I was told and rejected the first time I applied. Second time after I had the qualifications I was offered an interview and offer. They wouldn't accept predicted.

Imperial: Nope not a chance. Even with a HNC

Bristol: D*DD and A in Maths

Sheffield: DDD and A in mathematics

Leeds: Much the same as above

Bath: D*D*D* + A* Mathematics

Surrey: D*D*D + A in mathematics

Nottingham is unclear: Probably DDD

Southampton: D*DD distinction in further maths units

Strathclyde: Doesn't say

Essentially unless you have A-level maths you are limited in your choices. Its a bit tosh for many people. Go to college to study the course then find out when they apply that in reality its not good enough. Now for me I had worked too hard not to apply for the top 5. I spent a year working prior to college doing 70 hour weeks just to afford it for a couple of years. It was a blow to find out that information. So in the second year I picked up AS+A2 Maths and further maths and self taught for the exams.
Reply 39
Yeh there are plenty of uni`s that accept it.

But top 10 uni`s? Depends on what you want really.

Cambridge say they will accept it. But you will need D*D*D* along with A* in mathematics. This is what I was told and rejected the first time I applied. Second time after I had the qualifications I was offered an interview and offer. They wouldn't accept predicted.

Imperial: Nope not a chance. Even with a HNC

Bristol: D*DD and A in Maths

Sheffield: DDD and A in mathematics

Leeds: Much the same as above

Bath: D*D*D* + A* Mathematics

Surrey: D*D*D + A in mathematics

Nottingham is unclear: Probably DDD

Southampton: D*DD distinction in further maths units

Strathclyde: Doesn't say

Essentially unless you have A-level maths you are limited in your choices. Its a bit tosh for many people. Go to college to study the course then find out when they apply that in reality its not good enough. Now for me I had worked too hard not to apply for the top 5. I spent a year working prior to college doing 70 hour weeks just to afford it for a couple of years. It was a blow to find out that information. So in the second year I picked up AS+A2 Maths and further maths and self taught for the exams.

hi
I am currently studying this course without any a levels. Can you tell me how you studied your A-level maths and how you managed to do both AS and A2 both in a year because from last year all the exams were moved back to June/July?

Also can you give me general advice on study this level 3 course because now there is no resets.

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending